Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35
S
OP Offline
S
WARNING DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE A "NEWBIE" IN RECOVERY!!!

This is my response to a post on Other Topics from Shinethrough (Jerry). I just wonder what the rest of you in recovery think?

Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
Jerry this is a very interesting thread and please do not delete it. Sorry this is going to be long and maybe some of you will not even read it but it helps me if nothing else just to type it out.

I am not nearly as far along in my recovery as you or Bob Pure, but I still feel the same as you and he.

Here are my thoughts on my M anyway, be they “wrong or right” this is how I see things.

My H and I had a “great” M for a really long time (approx 20 years). We BOTH let life get in the way and we BOTH forgot to meet each others EN for a while (approx 2 years). My H had an A because he has “weak boundaries” coupled with his ENs not being met in the same way they had been for a long time, and then add an OW who was in “pursuit” of him and BAM, recipe for A.

So I Plan A’d and Plan B’d him (not nearly as long as a lot I have seen on here, from D-Day to when he came home was Jan 19, 2007-Feb 5, 2007) and he knew he had made a mistake and wanted to recover our M.

Now since then I feel like I have made a lot of changes in myself (changes that needed to be made), my H has been very remorseful for his actions, he has been transparent with his time and phone, he shows me that he loves me, all and all things are like they were when we had a “great” M, so why do I still feel like I am “so done”.

For me, I think it is because my H has not really changed at all. Like I said before he has tried to make amends for his A, but his “actions” for lack of a better word have not changed at all.

He still has “weak boundaries” and does not feel he needs to change them. He says “I have been friendly since we have been together and nothing happened until then” and when I say that it makes me feel like “how will I know it will not happen again?’ he will say “because I know me and I know I won’t let it happen again”.

Well guess what that is what he said when talking about the A after D-day. “I still can not believe I did that, it was so unlike me”. He feels there is no need for EP’s or basically to change himself at all because we had such a “great” M for so long that as long as we continue to meet each others ENs then all is “fine” in the world.

Well for me that just is not enough. I feel that he more or less “got away scott free” with his A. He has not changed anything about himself and does not feel the need to. Does this mean he just does not “get it”? Or maybe I am expecting to much? I dunno, but that is where I am right now and have been for quite a while now.

C
C
Still_Crazy,

If the situation is really as you describe it, then I think you have misdiagnosed the problem.

If the situation is really as you describe it, the problem is not that you can never get over it. The problem is that he has not done what he needs to do to help you trust him.

So there you have it. He's not doing everything he needs to do for your marriage to recover. Now it's up to you to decide whether or not you can live with that. It sounds like you really don't want to, but of course, practical considerations (e.g., finances) can play a large part in that decision. Only you can make that decision.

But whatever you decide, don't make the mistake of owning stuff that's really his to own. There are indeed BS's who cannot get over the betrayal, not matter what the FWS does to help recover the marriage. However, your FWS does not yet fit that description.

Best to you.

F
F
Hi Still crazy,,

I think one of the side effects (for lack of a better word) in recovery is sometimes as we recover we also address alot of issues in ourselves and what we want to change.

And sometimes imvho we have grown stronger because of we had to endure that we no longer want to accept "just ok", or "status quo", we don't want to settle, we want full recovery for ourselves, for our SO's and for our marriages.

I know I do not ever want to go back to the marriage I had before the A, not that is was bad, it wasn't, but I wasn't getting my needs meet either and in hind sight I had stopped growing as a person and had really lost myself in the life I had made, you know wife, mother, grandmother but not F-26.

I think sometimes if our partners do not do the work that they should on themselves that we are left feeling almost let down, almost "sigh" here we go again right back to the same old rut that started the whole mess to begin with. KWIM?

anyway just my thoughts, best wishes F-26

Me BS 46
FWH 50
married 29 years
seperated 6/03 (FWH lived with OW)
came home 2/04 many broken NC's, many false recoverys
But!! In full recovery now and for the most part doing great!
Ps 3 grown children and 2 awesome grands!
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by faithful26
Hi Still crazy,,

I think one of the side effects (for lack of a better word) in recovery is sometimes as we recover we also address alot of issues in ourselves and what we want to change.

And sometimes imvho we have grown stronger because of we had to endure that we no longer want to accept "just ok", or "status quo", we don't want to settle, we want full recovery for ourselves, for our SO's and for our marriages.

I know I do not ever want to go back to the marriage I had before the A, not that is was bad, it wasn't, but I wasn't getting my needs meet either and in hind sight I had stopped growing as a person and had really lost myself in the life I had made, you know wife, mother, grandmother but not F-26.

I think sometimes if our partners do not do the work that they should on themselves that we are left feeling almost let down, almost "sigh" here we go again right back to the same old rut that started the whole mess to begin with. KWIM?

anyway just my thoughts, best wishes F-26

Oh my goodness F26, it is as if you read my mind. This is EXACTLY my thoughts.

I don't know what to do about it, but it is how i feel darn it!!!

D
D

Is he friendly? or flirting?

Is it his personality?

Is it what attracted you to him?

Me-49 and staying there, course AARP sent me my card ugh
H-49
DD and SIL
GS the light of my life! 1 and a half, full of you know what
DS med school
always working on me
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Ghandi
F
F
Well still crazy don't they say great minds think alike? laugh LOL

I don't know the answer either, I love my husband very much and he has done a lot of work both on hisself and our marriage, and he has also changed. Most days I am very happy and full of hope.

But then it's the other days,, oh well I guess that is the nature of the beast. Don't get me wrong I do not reget working so hard for the recovery of my marriage, I would do it again, perhaps alittle differently, but I'd still do it..

F-26

Me BS 46
FWH 50
married 29 years
seperated 6/03 (FWH lived with OW)
came home 2/04 many broken NC's, many false recoverys
But!! In full recovery now and for the most part doing great!
Ps 3 grown children and 2 awesome grands!
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by doingfine

Is it his personality?

Well I will give you an example and let you decide for yourself (because I believe it is flirting but he says it is just being friendly).

A couple of weeks ago we both worked the concession stand at our DS football game. An attractive woman came up to purchase something at the window. I took her order, got her stuff, told her what she owed me, took her money, gave her her change, and then told her thank you. As she was putting her change in her purse, out of the blue my H said “you better count that she might keep some for herself” and then he laughed.

IMO there was no need for him to have said anything at all to the woman as she was not being friendly at all (in others words other than saying what she wanted she did not speak another word while standing there).

Now I will admit that occasionally he jokes this way with men as well, but he ALWAYS does with females and even more so with attractive females.

And this is not what attracted me to him. He has always been this way and I have always not liked it and have always told him that I do not like it.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by faithful26
Well still crazy don't they say great minds think alike? laugh LOL

I don't know the answer either, I love my husband very much and he has done a lot of work both on hisself and our marriage, and he has also changed. Most days I am very happy and full of hope.

But then it's the other days,, oh well I guess that is the nature of the beast. Don't get me wrong I do not reget working so hard for the recovery of my marriage, I would do it again, perhaps alittle differently, but I'd still do it..

F-26

I was very glad i worked to recover my M as well right after D-day, but the more time passes the more i think i am not so sure it was the right decision for me.

I dunno maybe like you said it is just the nature of the beast and we all have to get through it in our own way.

M
M
He still has “weak boundaries” and does not feel he needs to change them. He says “I have been friendly since we have been together and nothing happened until then” and when I say that it makes me feel like “how will I know it will not happen again?’ he will say “because I know me and I know I won’t let it happen again”.

SC, what does he do exactly that causes you distress?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
For me, I think it is because my H has not really changed at all. Like I said before he has tried to make amends for his A, but his “actions” for lack of a better word have not changed at all.

Why did he "let it happen" in the first place? He did NOT. It just did. So he needs to take ACTION to prevent it from happening again. What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. also sounds like "being friendly" is a LB.

Well guess what that is what he said when talking about the A after D-day. “I still can not believe I did that, it was so unlike me”. He feels there is no need for EP’s or basically to change himself at all because we had such a “great” M for so long that as long as we continue to meet each others ENs then all is “fine” in the world.

This is exactly why he needs boundaries. He can't believe he did it. If he does not change himself, he is very likely to have another affair.

Well for me that just is not enough. I feel that he more or less “got away scott free” with his A. He has not changed anything about himself and does not feel the need to. Does this mean he just does not “get it”? Or maybe I am expecting to much? I dunno, but that is where I am right now and have been for quite a while now.

Openness and Honesty. Tell him he needs to make amends for HIS AFFAIR. Just compensation. I don't think you can have a full recovery without it.

Me: 32 BS DDay: 9/14/08
Slowly coming to the realization that I
am one of those who can't get past it.
L
L
SC:

This line:

As she was putting her change in her purse, out of the blue my H said “you better count that she might keep some for herself” and then he laughed.

I would have been slapped by Flamingo if I said anything like that.

Impinging your HONESTY to get a smile out of an attractive woman. That's pathetic and disgusting. Demeaning as well.

Can he be friendly? Yes.
Can he flirt? Maybe. But not when your H is looking to use the flirting to guage his ability to "close the deal" like your WH was doing. Because that WAS EXACTLY what he was doing here.
Can he have said something amusing that didn't demean YOU? Certainly. But he didn't.

And THAT is WHY your recovery is stalled, and you are settling for less than you should.

Your WH still doesn't "GET IT" Flamingo and I have worked the food booth at DS's football game as well. Yes, I like looking at the pretty ladies, and not the ugly ones. I can make a cute comment. But I would NEVER make a comment that would demean my wife in the hope that the person on the other side of the counter would possibly smile. And SC? There WAS a time I could have done that. And that's the difference. You deserve, and SHOULD EXPECT the same.

LG

M
M
Originally Posted by doingfine

Is it his personality?

Well I will give you an example and let you decide for yourself (because I believe it is flirting but he says it is just being friendly).

A couple of weeks ago we both worked the concession stand at our DS football game. An attractive woman came up to purchase something at the window. I took her order, got her stuff, told her what she owed me, took her money, gave her her change, and then told her thank you. As she was putting her change in her purse, out of the blue my H said “you better count that she might keep some for herself” and then he laughed.

IMO there was no need for him to have said anything at all to the woman as she was not being friendly at all (in others words other than saying what she wanted she did not speak another word while standing there).

Now I will admit that occasionally he jokes this way with men as well, but he ALWAYS does with females and even more so with attractive females.

And this is not what attracted me to him. He has always been this way and I have always not liked it and have always told him that I do not like it.

I do not think he was being anything but friendly. I sincerely believe it was YOU thinking, OMG, this is an attractive woman (was she attractive to him???). I think he made a joke that most people would laugh off...and yet others here are fueling your angst as though he asked her for her phone number then and there.

His ALWAYS acting differently with what YOU consider an attractive woman is an issue that should be discussed. If in fact you married a man that acts this way with men and women alike (and I am SURE you are more sensitive to his behavior with women) it will not be an easy thing to change.

M
M

If this is really true, your wife needs psychological help.

If not, you are just adding fuel to a pretty innocuous situation by suggesting that his behavior was so egregious that it would warrant a physical response. It wasn't.

L
L
Ok, Medc.

Flamingo would not have literally "slapped" me.

However, I would have crossed a line with her with a comment like that. That would be a boundary for her.

And it WASN'T an innocuous sitch as you state. It seems to be prevelant in SC's relationship.

Disrespecting her, both in private and in public. Mr SC continues to do this. And SC's recovery is stalled. Gee, do you think why?

LG

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by lousygolfer
SC:

This line:

As she was putting her change in her purse, out of the blue my H said “you better count that she might keep some for herself” and then he laughed.

Impinging your HONESTY to get a smile out of an attractive woman. That's pathetic and disgusting. Demeaning as well.

Can he be friendly? Yes.
Can he flirt? Maybe. But not when your H is looking to use the flirting to guage his ability to "close the deal" like your WH was doing. Because that WAS EXACTLY what he was doing here.
Can he have said something amusing that didn't demean YOU? Certainly. But he didn't.

And THAT is WHY your recovery is stalled, and you are settling for less than you should.

Your WH still doesn't "GET IT" Flamingo and I have worked the food booth at DS's football game as well. Yes, I like looking at the pretty ladies, and not the ugly ones. I can make a cute comment. But I would NEVER make a comment that would demean my wife in the hope that the person on the other side of the counter would possibly smile. And SC? There WAS a time I could have done that. And that's the difference. You deserve, and SHOULD EXPECT the same.

LG

LG I did not take it as demeaning me. I took it as you stated above "a cute comment". It is the part of "in hope of making the person on the other side of the counter smile" that bothers me.

Maybe it is just me, but to me this is flirting. I would never say "any cute comments" to members of the opposite sex whether my H was standing there or not.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by medc
I do not think he was being anything but friendly. I sincerely believe it was YOU thinking, OMG, this is an attractive woman (was she attractive to him???). I think he made a joke that most people would laugh off...and yet others here are fueling your angst as though he asked her for her phone number then and there.

His ALWAYS acting differently with what YOU consider an attractive woman is an issue that should be discussed. If in fact you married a man that acts this way with men and women alike (and I am SURE you are more sensitive to his behavior with women) it will not be an easy thing to change.

MEDC You are correct that he does act that way with both men and women. Although he does not always comment to men. He ALWAYS comments to women everywhere we go regardless of where it is (the grocery store, the ball games, at the bar if we go out, EVERYWHERE we go he makes a comment to women.

And it is a different tone between women who are older or younger or not as attractive. He seems to light up if he can make "a cute comment" to an attractive women.

Who knows maybe i am just seeing something that is not there.

M
M
It is the part of "in hope of making the person on the other side of the counter smile" that bothers me.

there is nothing wrong with trying to make someone smile.

I do not see that as flirting at all. He was being friendly and funny.

IMHO, I think you need to lighten up a bit. (I only say that in regards to stuff like this....I DO think that IF his behaviors are truly different with women than men, this needs to be discussed).

M
M
Originally Posted by lousygolfer
Ok, Medc.

Flamingo would not have literally "slapped" me.

However, I would have crossed a line with her with a comment like that. That would be a boundary for her.

And it WASN'T an innocuous sitch as you state. It seems to be prevelant in SC's relationship.

Disrespecting her, both in private and in public. Mr SC continues to do this. And SC's recovery is stalled. Gee, do you think why?

LG

I do not think the incident described was disrespectful.

Last edited by medc; 10/28/08 10:20 AM.
T
T
SC

It has been shown on TV countless times where men see a less than attractive women struggling and hardly notices her or offers to assist her.

Then the very attractive women in the same situation has a dozen men falling all over themselves to offer assistance to her.

It is human nature. Even if the woman is out of a mans league he will still offer to aid her. Is it the momentary positive feed back from an attractive woman the reward for their effort? Yes, who doesn't like to get attention from an attractive women.

It does not mean that the man does it to get any thing more then a moments notice. Not that a single guy would refuse to give her his number if she asked or take the her offer to get hers. Or a married man wants to have an affair with her.

Where does your WH fit in? It could be "did it to get a moments notice from an attractive woman.

Though being that your H is a WH, he should realize that his actions are being scrutinized for any signs that he may be back sliding. So he should be making it a point not to cause any thing that may raise a Red Flag.

SC, he needs to save his joke's for the guys. Affairs cause some permanent changes. He should realize this.

WH, has to face up that his intentions maybe now innocent, but his past will now make him guilty regardless.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by medc
It is the part of "in hope of making the person on the other side of the counter smile" that bothers me.

there is nothing wrong with trying to make someone smile.

I do not see that as flirting at all. He was being friendly and funny.

IMHO, I think you need to lighten up a bit. (I only say that in regards to stuff like this....I DO think that IF his behaviors are truly different with women than men, this needs to be discussed).

Well MEDC like i said before maybe i just see things differently. I also am a friendly person and do not believe i have ever met a "stranger". I will talk to anyone. But I do not try to make other men smile. And i would not make "a cute comment" to a member of the opposite sex AT ALL.

I don't know maybe you are right and i need to lighten up because he has always been this way, but i am not exaggerating when i say that it is truly different with men than women and older or not as attractive women versus attractive women.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 685 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation