Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
Oh, sorry. I really like pilates over yoga. You'll get enough core in xfit. If you like pilates, I think you just need to set that time to do it.

O
OP Offline
O
I like Pilates because it's relaxing and a workout at the same time!

O
OP Offline
O
I know I'm being lazy here...I could probably just check on the website?

What is the basic equipment I need to own to get started?

T
T
I would say a pull up bar, jump rope, and you said you have kettle bells, your good to go.

I have the door gym. It's a bar that can be placed in the door. I like it because it's not stuck in the door all the time and can be taken out.

If you really want to go all out, get the "perfect pull up" and "perfect push up" invented by a SEAL. I think he has a work out program in it, but I would stick to the xfit bodyweight routine, they have it on the site in the message forum. I think it might be under exercises and says : Comprehensive Body Weight WOD, and is in pdf. and can be downloaded. I sent that to my sister, she had Q on the names of the exercises like I mentioned (burpee, double unders).

O
OP Offline
O
How do you get 65# then on a lift? I have ONE 15# kettle bell!

T
T
Probably get another 15# bell.

I've done the mens prescribed at 95#, it's a killer. I also do it with just the bar 45# and believe me when I say that 45# is a killer too, you can do it with 5 pound little wts too.

When you do those timed wod eithr make a mental note of your time or write it down because that specific work out will come up again and you'll be challenged to do it better and faster.

You can do it with one kettle at 15# by gripping the sides of the handle with both hands. It would still be a very supstantial workout.

Some of the newbies on the site will say, "is that all I have to do?", while the vets are laughing saying, "yep". It would be nice to see those noobs after the workout, b/c the xfit maskot is pukey the clown, and I've hurled 2x, both from workouts lasting under 15 minutes. I could feel my heart and lungs for 3 days after! Lol.

O
OP Offline
O
I've hurled after some of the ab workouts on my trainer's website. That lactic acid is hell on your stomach.

(O/T rant: I just got off the phone with Dell as they seem to think they've shipped an item to me that I've not received and NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!)

/rant

Sorry about that. It's one of my pet peeves.

I'm going dig into that website more thoroughly and maybe email the trainer and see if I can maybe borrow some stuff from her. I'm not really interested in pursuing P90X if Crossfit is going to work for me. I don't need "body-in-a-box" for $$$ if I can get what I need off the web for free.

Is this something I could start as soon as tomorrow? I have to be in my office tomorrow instead of working remote and there's a sort of mandatory party thing after work and I have a swim meet to attend in the evening so my entire day is shot. I was getting up super early to go to the gym but the roads have been really icy at that time of day and I'd rather not drive there if I can avoid it.

T
T
Yes, you can start tomorrow. It's that easy.

I'm not asking how old you are, but I tend to warm up some days and some days I don't because I can usually tell if I can do the set days workout w/out warming up. They recommend always warming up. They do have a warm up routine, but the warm up is a workout in itself for most people, so do you regular warm up and 3 2 1 go!

They will have next days workout up by evening usually and I am in Mountain St time. If you need to scale it or have Q you can click on 'comments' without signing up and people will give you advice. Or you can sign up (for free) and ask on the message board. I did not sign up to message board, MB keeps me busy enough!

Even if it requires weights, ask how to substitute without weight and/or substitute is for another move that is similar that will not require wts or the kettle/pull up bar will do.

I haven't been on there today. I look at todays wod and tell you what I think and give ex.

T
T
Ok todays wod is:
3 rounds for time:
100 feet walking on hands
handstand, hold 2 minutes
15 handstand pushups

This is an upper body wod, which they'll do sometimes, but it's a gymnastics workout and hits the neuro system for balance and core muscle strength. Balance hits the core and looks like a very difficult wod. I could not walk that far on hands. I could do a handstand against a wall though and do the hspu.

Substitute?
3 rounds for time:
bear crawl (hands and feet, not knees) 100 feet
hold a handstand against wall or work on trying to get up and balance against wall for 2 minutes (time it)
15 pushups with feet elevated as high as you can get them, like dresser, back of couch, table

remember this is for time, so you'll go from one right into the other and then back to the start and through 3 times.

Now, that is not tomorrows wod, but is an example of what I would do starting or would have to do b/c I can't walk on hands.

You can look at yesterdays wod and it is "lynne" which is a standard set wod. I have done wod that were posted several days back and done yesterdays, looked for another one. After you understand what they are doing it gets easy to scale up or down or do a wod that you missed that looks challenging or fun.

O
OP Offline
O
Wow, thanks!

I can actually walk on my hands but only about 3-4 steps, so I'd do the against-the-wall thing.

I'm not asking how old you are

Quite a bit older than you! laugh

T
T
Actually,

You would do 100 feet worth those 3-4 steps, then onto the handstand for 2 minutes, then the handstand push ups.

I'm betting tomorrows wod will be something to do with pull ups in it.

Last edited by themud; 01/14/10 04:45 PM.
O
OP Offline
O
I think I could handle the bear crawl better.

I know tomorrow's WOD will be different but I'd still have to mark off 100 ft so I know how far it is.

T
T
Yes, if you wanted to do todays. I usually just mark of 20 ft or so.

There will be days where they will say 50 lunges. I go to the edge of the room and back/forth. Some days it will be 100 yards each leg or something and I figure one lunge is almost 1 yard, so that's how I'll mark it.

If you've got the treadmill, there will be days where it will say 20 minutes of 400 meters running then max pull ups. I end up doing the 400 then like 7-10 pull ups then running the 400m again and can get in like 7-8 400 meters and 50 or so pull ups in that 20 minutes.

O
OP Offline
O
Hmmm..no treadmill at home. I'm going to go to the website now and see what tomorrow's workout is.

O
OP Offline
O
REST DAY.

Figures.

O
OP Offline
O
TheMud...I'm planning to stop by the gym today after work. My after-work commitments both got cancelled. Yay! What do you suggest I do since today's WOD is 'rest'? (I 'rest' on Sundays....If I do this, I'm going to have to schedule these things so my rest day falls on Sunday.) Should I try to do Thursdays? It seems like mostly upper body which would be fine. Yesterday I took a Pilates class which is great for core.

T
T
This is a great one.

"Barbara"

Five rounds, each for time of:
20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

Again, you can scale it and I definitely cheat on the pull ups on this one. You can do pull downs, or put a bench infront of pull up bar and do jumping pull ups. Thats, jump up to pulled up position and lower slowly, not too slow though. You can cheat on the others like "girl" push ups, crunches. Do the squats though, which are body weight squats.

O
OP Offline
O
Since I'm stopping at the gym on the way home, I think I might use the weight-assisted pull up machine. I can't do full body weight pull ups from a standing position..maybe like...uhh...2 or 3? LOL And to think I held the record for this in high school....(girls high school)

Anyway, just adding 20-25lbs on the weight assisted makes a world of difference (subtracts that much from my weight).

Also, my trainer had me do 50 pushups on her 50th birthday last month...not girl pushups.

ETA: Just noticed this was FIVE rounds for time. I don't know why I thought THREE. Anyway...to amend..NO WAY will I be able to do "boy" push ups and full sit ups for five rounds. I'll have to modify.

And the situps...I'm pretty sure I can do those.

Last edited by OurHouse; 01/15/10 02:23 PM.
T
T
Cool.

Once you get the hand of these rounds for time they are very challenging.

I 2nd the pull up thing. And remember this is for time, so go like a bat out H--- and from one right to the other and then into the next round.

O
OP Offline
O
How about a warm up? I know you mentioned stretching..which I always do (I do more intensive stretching after..it's more important. But what about maybe 5-10 min on the moving stairs or elliptical before I start? Not at a hell-bent pace..just easy to warm up. My trainer usually has me do a short burst of cardio right off the bat, before we get started.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation