Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
By nature, they seem to be the types of folks who look for external factors to both justify their actions and to provide for their happiness and contentment. They are leaves blown about by the wind. Truly pathetic.

DING DING DING

True true true <~~~ link

The waywards find themselves, their identity, in the reflection of other people's opinion.

This is why so many of them, while in their affair, demonstrate characteristics soooooo similar to BPD (borderline personality disorder).

Lost? Yes.
Pathetic? Usually.
Permanent? Not usually.

Waywards lose their identity soon after the last "slurp" of contact with their mirror/reflected identity ... and the wayward cannot wait until their next "slurp" of reflected identity.

You done good Superman !

External Locus of Control
Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by fate, luck, or other external circumstances
Internal Locus of Control
Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by his/her personal decisions and efforts.

Z
Z
Can we add "Yet, again-amazing" to the title?

P
OP Offline
P
Done! stickout

M
M
sigh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
As some of you may know by now, I'm kind of a big movie guy. I liked the movie 'Signs'. Not universally praised, but I liked it. Why? Because of the very issue that Pep and Z bring up. Their issue reminded me of a scene from the movie. And I think it makes for such an interesting discussion:

Graham Hess: "People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope."

"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

"Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

TB

Last edited by BTinBL; 02/03/10 01:35 PM. Reason: Added quotes

F
F
See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?
I see dead people.

Ok, sorry I couldn't resist...I see miracles, see the hand of God not "coincidence"

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
sigh

I know, right?
Pathetic begging for a reflected sense of self.
rotflmao

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by BTinBL
As some of you may know by now, I'm kind of a big movie guy. I liked the movie 'Signs'. Not universally praised, but I liked it. Why? Because of the very issue that Pep and Z bring up. Their issue reminded me of a scene from the movie. And I think it makes for such an interesting discussion:

Graham Hess: "People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope."

"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

"Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

TB

I liked Signs.

Z
Z
I liked it as well.
Also liked "Dirty Harry".
On the lucky question: "Well, do you, punk?"

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Zelmo
I liked it as well.

I watch reruns of The Love Boat

Z
Z
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I liked it as well.

Merl Steubing-quite the hunk, IMO.

F
F
I liked it as well.

women are secretly turned on by pot bellies and bald heads. TEEF

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
Z
Z
Originally Posted by faithful follower
I liked it as well.

women are secretly turned on by pot bellies and bald heads. TEEF

Guy is packing heat, from what I have heard. Just like Eddie Haskell.

T
T

Hey don't forget ol' Fred Grandy (aka 'Gopher') - esteemed member of Congress. Iowa. Not in office any longer, though. Wanted to be governor. Didn't work out so well.....

TB

P
OP Offline
P
Hey don't forget ol' Fred Grandy (aka 'Gopher') -

Ummmmmmm my DH was Fred's stand in.

W O R D !!!

M
M
Can you imagine Governor Gopher?

Z
Z

Hey don't forget ol' Fred Grandy (aka 'Gopher') - esteemed member of Congress. Iowa. Not in office any longer, though. Wanted to be governor. Didn't work out so well.....

TB

He was a gifted orator(er?), by Iowa standards.

M
M
Waywards lose their identity soon after the last "slurp" of contact with their mirror/reflected identity ... and the wayward cannot wait until their next "slurp" of reflected identity.

This is the very definition of Narcissism. All waywards behave like Narcs while wayward, but someone with Narc traits who becomes wayward - look out. They're in heaven and I don't think they'll ever stop. They don't even know what you're talking about. You might as well ask them to stop breathing. They have NO idea who they are unless reflected in they eyes of others - as many others as possible - and don't comprehend that not everyone lives this way.

I've often thought that *The Wizard of Oz* is a very good metaphor for Narcissism - that you can't go around looking for someone else (The Wizard) to give you the traits you want. You have to find them within yourself, because The Wizard is a fraud, after all, and there really is no place like home.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Mulan
I've often thought that *The Wizard of Oz* is a very good metaphor for Narcissism - that you can't go around looking for someone else (The Wizard) to give you the traits you want. You have to find them within yourself, because The Wizard is a fraud, after all, and there really is no place like home.
hurray

F
F
Fred Grandy is now (and has been for years) a morning drive-time radio personality on a top-rated show in the Washington, DC area. He is partnered with a fellow named Andy Parks, and their show is called, "Grandy and Andy."

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation