Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Okay, I'll admit it - I am an extremely analytical person. I've always been one to pick things apart to see how they work. Research is a hobby of mine.

Having said that:
H and I are doing very well in R. We're spending tons of time together, meeting needs, O&H, etc. It's been good.

I am at a point now where I'm not asking so much the "How could this have happened to us?" It's become a little less personal to me, and I'm looking now at people who become involved in A's in general. Specifically "How, in the face of looming disaster and at the risk of losing so much, would a person begin and continue an A?" If a person realizes that they are in danger of losing their marriage, their job, their reputation, lifestyle, etc., why would they continue to blunder forward in an A? What makes that person tick? Because that was my H. He knew he was going to be exposed, he knew the OWH was going to tell his employer and me, and yet he continued. And when exposure happened, he expressed relief that it had because he didn't know how to end it himself.

This is totally illogical to me. I would think self-preservation would override just about anything. I always thought people were wired that way. That was a revelation.

So I started researching and sort of stumbled over histrionic personality disorder, and it fits my H to a "T". People with this disorder have an unhealthy desire for attention, and to be the center of attention. I wonder just how many WS's are disordered this way?

Here's a link if anyone is interested:
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx17.htm

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
GO is definitely NOT one of these people. He doesn't like to call attention to himself in most situations. When he served in our church, he often chose to perform duties that received little or no praise, but needed done. It is interesting that he credits the attention and affirmation from the OW as what drew him to her, though.

ME: 45 FBS
FWH: GloveOil 43
D-Day 1/7/09 (A: 10/08-1/09)
DD: 16
DS: 12
Married: 19 years
In love for 24+ years and counting!
M
M
MB,

I think you are overanlayzing it. Wayturds are just victims to their own addiction. You could say the same thing about alcoholics or crack addicts. How could they risk everything for a drink or a hit? It's not logical to those of us without these addictions. Not to say that some wayturds don't actually have PD's because I'm sure there are some that do. But in general, I think it's plain old addiction causing them to drive their lives into a ditch.

Mindshare

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mindshare
MB,

I think you are overanlayzing it. Wayturds are just victims to their own addiction. You could say the same thing about alcoholics or crack addicts. How could they risk everything for a drink or a hit? It's not logical to those of us without these addictions. Not to say that some wayturds don't actually have PD's because I'm sure there are some that do. But in general, I think it's plain old addiction causing them to drive their lives into a ditch.

Mindshare

Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone's told me I overanalyze! whistle
I think much of what you're saying is absolutely correct. But what I'm saying is that, in my sitch, my H seems very much to fit the type. And the attention is his addiction.

D-Day 2-10-2009

P
P
And the attention is his addiction.

Admiration is his top EN.

See how convenient and easy this makes it for you to fill his love bank.

Admire the heck out of him and you're golden.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_ad.html
Admiration

If you have the need for admiration, you may have fallen in love with your spouse partly because of his or her compliments to you. Some people just love to be told that they are appreciated. Your spouse may also have been careful not to criticize you because criticism may hurt you deeply if you have this need.
Many of us have a deep desire to be respected, valued and appreciated by our spouse. We need to be affirmed clearly and often. There's nothing wrong with feeling that

Learn to meet the need of Admiration
way. Even God wants us to appreciate Him.

Admiration is one of the easiest needs to meet. Just a word of appreciation, and presto, you've made someone's day. On the other hand, it's also easy to be critical. A trivial word of rebuke can set some people on their heels, ruining their day and withdrawing love units at an alarming rate.

Your spouse may have the power to build up or deplete his or her account in your Love Bank with just a few words of admiration or criticism. If you are affected that easily, be sure to add admiration to your list of important emotional needs.

Last edited by Pepperband; 02/19/10 11:05 AM.
T
T
I think that many many (most) waywards are suffering from the disorder of selfishness, immaturity, callousness, and general stupidity. Which not a disorder, but more of a flaw - whether permanent or temporary. Some people just go through idiotic times, cross boundaries, or just aren't all that great to begin with. I am not all that certain that our society's habit of labeling every bad choice, abherrant behavior, or weird thought as some psychiatric illness or disability. Sometimes people just need to straighten up, get a grip, and experiance a good kick in the butt.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
And the attention is his addiction.

Admiration is his top EN.

See how convenient and easy this makes it for you to fill his love bank.

Admire the heck out of him and you're golden.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_ad.html
Admiration

If you have the need for admiration, you may have fallen in love with your spouse partly because of his or her compliments to you. Some people just love to be told that they are appreciated. Your spouse may also have been careful not to criticize you because criticism may hurt you deeply if you have this need.
Many of us have a deep desire to be respected, valued and appreciated by our spouse. We need to be affirmed clearly and often. There's nothing wrong with feeling that

Learn to meet the need of Admiration
way. Even God wants us to appreciate Him.

Admiration is one of the easiest needs to meet. Just a word of appreciation, and presto, you've made someone's day. On the other hand, it's also easy to be critical. A trivial word of rebuke can set some people on their heels, ruining their day and withdrawing love units at an alarming rate.

Your spouse may have the power to build up or deplete his or her account in your Love Bank with just a few words of admiration or criticism. If you are affected that easily, be sure to add admiration to your list of important emotional needs.

Only problem for us is that he is like a bucket with a hole in it. I can admire til the cows come home, and he still looks for more. If he asks if his outfit looks alright and I tell him he needs a different tie he becomes upset with himself. (or do I just let him wear the paisley tie with the plaid shirt and hope no one notices?) Any any words of improving him cause him anguish. It can get a little exhausting.

Not that I'm unwilling to meet this need, mind you.

D-Day 2-10-2009

P
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
If he asks if his outfit looks alright and I tell him he needs a different tie he becomes upset with himself.

"You are so handsome no one will be looking at your clothes."

Under every request is his sense he's not good enough.
Become creative.

One of the most effective ways to meet a H's excessive need for admiration is to BRAG about him to others. Especially his male friends.

"DH is the best man I know."

Have some fun with this Bliss.
See how many ways you can genuinely admire him in one day.

My DH has a huge need for admiration.

P
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I've always been one to pick things apart to see how they work.

Be sure that your inclination to pick things apart is focused away from DH.

P
P
(1) is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
(2) interaction with others is often characterized by inappropriate sexually seductive or provocative behavior
(3) displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions
(4) consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention to self
(5) has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail
(6) shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion
(7) is suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances
(8) considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are

This entire thing is a love busting DJ, and only feeds YOUR need to pick DH apart.
Stop doing this, please.

Imagine DH placing a label on you as a "perfectionist" or "My wife meets 8 of the 10 criteria for OCD."

It's not marriage building, not at all.

END of twoxfour 2X4

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
(1) is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
(2) interaction with others is often characterized by inappropriate sexually seductive or provocative behavior
(3) displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions
(4) consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention to self
(5) has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail
(6) shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion
(7) is suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances
(8) considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are

This entire thing is a love busting DJ, and only feeds YOUR need to pick DH apart.
Stop doing this, please.

Imagine DH placing a label on you as a "perfectionist" or "My wife meets 8 of the 10 criteria for OCD."

It's not marriage building, not at all.

END of twoxfour 2X4

:::rubbing head::: Ouch, Pep! Did you have to hit me on my soft spot?? laugh

I know, I know - you're absolutely right. And you are good! I'll start working harder on the creativity portion of the program...

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
Oh so many hobbies one can have and enjoy.

Don't make phycho-anal-y-sis of your Hubby into your hobby.....
Talk about a drag!

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by tst

Talk about a drag!

I'm ducking and running for cover! blush

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
N
*I* think MB is just missing Zelmo, the residental airchair psycho-analasis..... blush
rotflmao

not2fun

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by not2fun
*I* think MB is just missing Zelmo, the residental airchair psycho-analasis..... blush
rotflmao

not2fun

Speaking of MIA posters: whatever ever happened to Dude?

D-Day 2-10-2009

B
B
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
I think that many many (most) waywards are suffering from the disorder of selfishness, immaturity, callousness, and general stupidity. Which not a disorder, but more of a flaw - whether permanent or temporary. Some people just go through idiotic times, cross boundaries, or just aren't all that great to begin with. I am not all that certain that our society's habit of labeling every bad choice, abherrant behavior, or weird thought as some psychiatric illness or disability. Sometimes people just need to straighten up, get a grip, and experiance a good kick in the butt.

hurray

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
P
Honest-to-God, Bliss ... I have my 59 year old DH convinced he's THE WORLDS GREATEST LOVER.

He is such a puppy. He follows me around, devoted and in love.

He says to me:

"No one could ever love me more than you."

I make sure he is convinced daily. lashes

No offense intended to all you men reading along.

M
M
Pep is swinging the big stick today!

You do know that she is dead on.....don't you?

Quit searching for an explanation (or an excuse) for why your husband was abducted. You will never find an answer that satisfies this hunger. You need to find a way to let it go...

P
P
Originally Posted by tst

Talk about a drag!

.... speaking of drag....
I have known some very cool drag queens.

I will leave the anal-y jokes to others. lashes

G
G
"How, in the face of looming disaster and at the risk of losing so much, would a person begin and continue an A?" If a person realizes that they are in danger of losing their marriage, their job, their reputation, lifestyle, etc., why would they continue to blunder forward in an A? What makes that person tick? Because that was my H. He knew he was going to be exposed, he knew the OWH was going to tell his employer and me, and yet he continued. And when exposure happened, he expressed relief that it had because he didn't know how to end it himself. ... This is totally illogical to me. I would think self-preservation would override just about anything. I always thought people were wired that way.
Yep... it is illogical. I don't know what happens to self-preservation & logic & all the other constraints. My whole life, I've always been one of the most risk-averse people I or anyone in my family knows. Except for 10 & a half weeks where I was a complete idiot in disguise. I ignored risks of getting caught & the very predictable fallout that would (and eventually did) ensue if that were to happen... dismissed signs that OW's H was on to her... shrugged off self-preservation, and my moral qualms, too, because they stood in the way of a fix I wanted.

It sure seems like "temporary insanity", except that such a "psychosis" diagnosis lets us WSs off too easy. For some of us, there are actually tiny lucid moments when you decide rather than react, while there seems to be a brief hole in the fog, in-between when you've had the last fix & when you start craving the next one, when you have a little panic attack & think "OMG, what the hell have I gotten myself into?" But the brain isn't completely clear ... the prospect of never getting that fix again is not one you want to confront just yet; and so you "reason" to yourself -- against all logic & probability -- "Well, it's gone on this long, nothing really bad has happened, there's no reason why we should necessarily get caught, we can manage it, after all, we're smart people, we can keep this discreet." So you choose to take another spin on that merry-go-round and tell yourself that you can quit anytime, and that "Someday OW & I will do like we discussed and 'end it on our own terms' so that no one'll find out & no one'll get hurt." But not just yet. Not before one last fix...

And the memory of those lucid moments comes back to smack you in the face after you've been caught, & that's where the feeling of relief comes from, for those of us who'd had sporadic thoughts of wanting to jump off the merry-go-round.

The Harley conceptualization about not having ENs met provides a logical explanation as to why someone might seek a fix, but it doesn't get at the vexing question of why someone would shift their boundaries to countenance getting that fix outside their marriage. I've yet to see any satisfying, logical explanation for that. (Anyone got one?)

I imagine any BS in a recovering M wants a satisfying, logical explanation, because you want to know, "How can I know & guarantee that this won't happen again?" The "explanation" of "My WS/FWS acted like a selfish a** for 2 & a half months" provides no such comfort for the future; you can meet all the ENs you want, but you can't conjure up any guarantee re: the boundaries. I'd sure love to be able to give TWC such a guarantee, but I can't do that today for the future, any more than I can go back in time & undo the bad crap I did in the past. All I can do is treat her well & try to keep her too busy & having a good-enough time up here on the high-wire of recovery that she won't have much time or inclination to look down & ponder that there's no safety net under us, no guarantee to be had.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think that such a guarantee exists for anyone. It's just that people on this forum are no longer blind to that fact. Maybe there's some small measure of satisfaction to be had in knowing that you're no longer walking around blind. (Cold comfort, for the subset of BSs who've been treated so badly that they go around wishing they could be blind again... I don't know what to say to them...)

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation