Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by GloveOil
"How, in the face of looming disaster and at the risk of losing so much, would a person begin and continue an A?" If a person realizes that they are in danger of losing their marriage, their job, their reputation, lifestyle, etc., why would they continue to blunder forward in an A? What makes that person tick? Because that was my H. He knew he was going to be exposed, he knew the OWH was going to tell his employer and me, and yet he continued. And when exposure happened, he expressed relief that it had because he didn't know how to end it himself. ... This is totally illogical to me. I would think self-preservation would override just about anything. I always thought people were wired that way.
Yep... it is illogical. I don't know what happens to self-preservation & logic & all the other constraints. My whole life, I've always been one of the most risk-averse people I or anyone in my family knows. Except for 10 & a half weeks where I was a complete idiot in disguise. I ignored risks of getting caught & the very predictable fallout that would (and eventually did) ensue if that were to happen... dismissed signs that OW's H was on to her... shrugged off self=preservation, and my moral qualms, too, because they stood in the way of a fix I wanted.

It sure seems like "temporary insanity", except that such a "psychosis" diagnosis lets us WSs off too easy. For some of us, there are actually tiny lucid moments when you decide rather than react, while there seems to be a brief hole in the fog, in-between when you've had the last fix & when you start craving the next one, when you have a little panic attack & think "OMG, what the hell have I gotten myself into?" But the brain isn't completely clear ... the prospect of never getting that fix again is not one you want to confront just yet; and so you "reason" to yourself -- against all logic & probability -- "Well, it's gone on this long, nothing really bad has happened, there's no reason why we should necessarily get caught, we can manage it, after all, we're smart people, we can keep this discreet." So you choose to take another spin on that merry-go-round and tell yourself that you can quit anytime, and that "Someday OW & I will do like we discussed and 'end it on our own terms' so that no one'll find out & no one'll get hurt." But not just yet. Not before one last fix...

And the memory of those lucid moments comes back to smack you in the face after you've been caught, & that's where the feeling of relief comes from, for those of us who'd had sporadic thoughts of wanting to jump off the merry-go-round.

The Harley conceptualization about not having ENs met provides a logical explanation as to why someone might seek a fix, but it doesn't get at the vexing question of why someone would shift their boundaries to countenance getting that fix outside their marriage. I've yet to see any satisfying, logical explanation for that. (Anyone got one?)

I imagine any BS in a recovering M wants a satisfying, logical explanation, because you want to know, "How can I know & guarantee that this won't happen again?" The "explanation" of "My WS/FWS acted like a selfish a** for 2 & a half months" provides no such comfort for the future; you can meet all the ENs you want, but you can't conjure up any guarantee re: the boundaries. I'd sure love to be able to give TWC such a guarantee, but I can't do that today for the future, any more than I can go back in time & undo the bad crap I did in the past. All I can do is treat her well & try to keep her too busy & having a good-enough time up here on the high-wire of recovery that she won't have much time or inclination to look down & ponder that there's no safety net under us, no guarantee to be had.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think that such a guarantee exists for anyone. It's just that people on this forum are no longer blind to that fact. Maybe there's some small measure of satisfaction to be had in knowing that you're no longer walking around blind. (Cold comfort, for the subset of BSs who've been treated so badly that they go around wishing they could be blind again... I don't know what to say to them...)

Good thoughts to digest, GO. t/j: Question for you: When you were in the middle of your A and needed your 'fix', how did you phrase it to yourself? I mean, did you say "I need OW" or was it more a thought of needing the emotion that came with OW? Were there thoughts in your mind that you were in "love" with OW, and that justified your actions? Or was it more of a realization that you needed the validation that came from contact with her - not her, specifically?
Clear as mud? smile

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

P
P
Thanks for sharing that really good post, Gloveoil.

P
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
:::rubbing head::: Ouch, Pep! Did you have to hit me on my soft spot?? laugh
kiss

N
N
The Harley conceptualization about not having ENs met provides a logical explanation as to why someone might seek a fix, but it doesn't get at the vexing question of why someone would shift their boundaries to countenance getting that fix outside their marriage. I've yet to see any satisfying, logical explanation for that. (Anyone got one?)

Because usually the EN that was getting met was an inoccuous one....conversation for example. Most people don't have a boundary of "I will never talk to anyone of the opposite sex for ANY reason....". Usually the boundary goes something more along the lines of "I will not talk to anyone of the opposite sex about personal things....". But as people meet each other and then get to know each other, even innocently, the need is getting met.

Also, if a spouse is NOT meeting those high EN'S, over time the WS becomes entitled to their thinking. And in some ways SHOULD (I do not mean that they should have an affair.....). After all, if that EN is that important then your spouse should be doing what is necessary to meet it...the Rule of Care and Protection. "Always be the source of your spouse's happiness"....How does one do that?...by meeting the other's top EN'S.

The more vexing question, in my opinion, would be "why did I ignore the warning bells going off in my head when I shifted my boundaries"

For what its worth, my H has NEVER displayed these characterists. Not even during the affair. He does not like being the center of attention....EVER.....but then again, I don't really look for these kind of answers any more.....

not2fun

G
G
When you were in the middle of your A and needed your 'fix', how did you phrase it to yourself? I mean, did you say "I need OW" or was it more a thought of needing the emotion that came with OW? Were there thoughts in your mind that you were in "love" with OW, and that justified your actions? Or was it more of a realization that you needed the validation that came from contact with her - not her, specifically?
I convinced myself that it was a 'love' and at the same time convinced myself that I was in some kind of a special circumstance, where I was actually helping OW cope with her crummy [as she made it out to be] marriage, to tide her over until things got better for her... like it was almost some kind of good deed or act of charity on my part!crazy crazy crazy And she'd hit me with b.s. like "You're the best thing in my life right now," etc. -- speed for the ego -- and I just ate that stuff up. All I can say is, go back and look at the first two paragraphs of my previous post: Didja notice who was missing from my thought-processes back then? That's right -- my wife. THAT's how selfish I'd gotten. Friggin' unbelieveable...

Jeez, I don't like even going back there & thinking about this stuff for post-mortem, analytical purposes. The farther I get from it & the clearer it becomes, the uglier it looks. Coffee break's over, back to work.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
OP Offline
M
I also wonder - you know, I'm a big believer in listening to your gut. My gut feelings are pretty much on target. So does a WS 'get' gut feelings? Do they ever, before the A actually becomes an A, get the gut feeling that the potential AP is dangerous to them? Is there ever a little warning buzzer that goes off immediately after the first flirtatious comment is made? Or is that something that is not in a WS's make-up?

D-Day 2-10-2009

G
G
The warning buzzer is there. It's heard. WSs make a choice to ignore it. We think we can indulge in a little more flattery, a little more flirtation in the conversation... after all, we're grown-ups, and WE can stop before it goes too far... or so we convince ourselves.

I want to be able to give you a different answer. I want to get a call from a detective saying that they've belatedly discovered that someone went around planting stuff in my coffee cup that made me not responsible for my actions. But that call's never coming. There's no less ugly answer.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
OP Offline
M
The warning buzzer is there. It's heard. WSs make a choice to ignore it. We think we can indulge in a little more flattery, a little more flirtation in the conversation... after all, we're grown-ups, and WE can stop before it goes too far... or so we convince ourselves.

I want to be able to give you a different answer. I want to get a call from a detective saying that they've belatedly discovered that someone went around planting stuff in my coffee cup that made me not responsible for my actions. But that call's never coming. There's no less ugly answer.

Thank you, GO. I always appreciate your honesty and candor.

D-Day 2-10-2009

T
T
As do I. loveheart

ME: 45 FBS
FWH: GloveOil 43
D-Day 1/7/09 (A: 10/08-1/09)
DD: 16
DS: 12
Married: 19 years
In love for 24+ years and counting!
M
OP Offline
M
Awww...there you kids go again! smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

P
P
During the days following D-day ... one of the hundreds of questions I asked WH ...

"WH, the day you drove 400 miles to meet OW in (city they went from EA to PA) .... What were you thinking about during that 6 hour drive?"

He said:
"I was thinking that it was a bad idea."

"Why didn't you turn around?"

"uhhhh .... well, uhhhhhh .... well ..... uhhhhhhh."

In my mind - NOT out loud:
"*He's an idiot.doh2 I married an idiot and did not know it*"

The lesson is ~~~> They lose their freakin' minds ... there is no logic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation