Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 46 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 45 46
M
M
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Oh, and the only reason Z's husband is in AM is because Z demanded it.

Dr. Harley says in the call that if he were not in AM, he would recommend that Zhamila separate.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
Doesn't he say that in response to the next email? And refers back to Mr. Z as an example of where AOs are being addressed, but if they weren't, he would recommend seperation, and a case COULD be made to separate until AOs were resolved, but Dr. h never makes that case?

That's what I heard.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
Yes, that's exactly what he said.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
So he never said in Mr. z's call that they should separate.

Just clearing that up.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Thanks Prisca. I'd like to...I don't want to bug him - I mean he's already been so generous & all.

I just feel like I'm going crazy or something. I do have voice recordings and my journal with word-for-word interactions...I'm not imagining all this.

But gosh I feel insane right now.

Zhamila, I am glad I took the time tonight to go back and read through the last several pages of your thread, because I almost missed this.

PLEASE feel free to contact Dr. Harley. He really does want to help you guys, and he will not feel "bugged." Helping marriages is his and Joyce's life's work. Having met them in person, having talked to him on the radio and on this forum and occasionally in email, having listened to thousands of hours of him and Joyce, I can guarantee you that he is really in earnest about offering his help. You guys will need some practice to make negotiations pleasant and safe, and probably some help to negotiate the obstacles along the way. Dr. Harley and Joyce want to give that help -- take it!

I want you to know -- I really, really want you to know -- that you are not crazy! I hope you feel validated on this. Dr. Harley said over and over again that negotiations have to be made pleasant and safe. I think he would encourage you to keep trying, daily if necessary, and to stop each and every time that you start to feel unsafe. I see Dr. Harley validate people on this all the time: until the problem of angry outbursts is addressed, you can't make much progress on other problems.

It sounds like your husband is really sincere and earnest about learning to negotiate with you and about keeping you safe from angry outbursts. By all means, contact Dr. Harley and ask him for help if you feel like this isn't happening, or isn't working.

Don't let anyone on this forum convince you you are crazy, Zhamila.

M
M
This was a fantastic broadcast.

I listened to the entire call (including remarks that Dr. Harley and Joyce made during the letter they read after the call -- they drew comparisons between that marriage and this one), and there is not a single demand on Zhamila's part expressed at all. I think some of the posters on this thread are coming from the point of view that asking your spouse to not do something because it bothers you is a demand, but that is not how Dr. Harley treats it. Whether it be "just" getting the mail or "just" getting donuts, this radio show shows the perfect way to handle it. First, do nothing (don't do it) while you are negotiating; second, make negotiations pleasant and safe by protecting each other from making demands, showing disrespect, or getting angry, and by agreeing to suspend negotiations if either one of you feels the other is becoming demanding, disrespectful, or angry. Then, negotiate, until you find a solution.

Zhamila's husband called in feeling like Zhamila is controlling him, but Dr. Harley demonstrates that the real problem is that they don't know how to negotiate solutions to their problems. Of course he feels resentful until they get to a solution, but that does not mean that he is being controlled or that Zhamila is doing anything wrong. And as Dr. Harley repeated several times (at least three), he's going to have to do his part by not making demands, showing disrespect, or becoming angry, at least if he wants to move past the "doing nothing" phase and on to an enthusiastic solution. That is one of the places I think we sometimes slip up on this forum and fail to hold the high standard Dr. Harley does in helping couples; we tend to side with one side or the other as being "right," or we tend to throw out our own ideas for the couple as being "right," or sometimes we encourage them to stop at "do nothing" as if it were a permanent solution. (That may be because in some situations it IS the permanent solution, such as Extraordinary Precautions, where you should just NEVER do these things, PERIOD.)

The notebook idea sounds wonderful, and I hope Prisca and I try it. smile

Dr. Harley said he would work with them to help them learn to negotiate, and to contact him if they hit any snags. I would highly encourage them to do this! He told them to practice, practice, practice negotiation so that they get really good at it, and said that he thinks once they have this down the rest of their marriage will be great because they have a lot going for them, such as romance. Dr. Harley knows that once you guys have done this a lot, knowing that you can stop any time you feel unsafe, you will begin to feel safe again and you guys will be able to work through your problems. The notebook sounds like a great way to handle that; you can work on it when you feel like it and put it down when you do not.

Dr. Harley said the main thing that they were doing wrong and making Zhamila's husband feel controlled and feel like there is a flaw in the POJA is that they were stopping at the temporary solution of "doing nothing" and not negotiating an enthusiastic solution. And he made very clear that until they make negotiations pleasant and safe (no demands, disrespect, or anger) they can't move on to the rest of the negotiation process. He says "this is so crucial that you cannot go on to the next step unless this guideline is accomplished." After the call ended, in discussing the next letter, he referred back to the call and said "One of the things that prevents them resolving conflicts is his anger. And I said this to Zhamila's husband: you're never going to resolve any conflicts in your marriage if you have an anger problem. Now, Zhamila's husband is in an anger management program right now; that is what this writer's husband needs to do ... I really think that in the case of Zhamila and her husband that if he wasn't serious about his anger, I would recommend that she separate. In fact, there is an argument to make that she probably should separate until the problem is resolved."

M
M
Originally Posted by CWMI
So he never said in Mr. z's call that they should separate.

Just clearing that up.

Right.

I'm not really sure what your point of disagreement is, or what you are advising Zhamila to do. I saw you commenting that she was making demands, but I haven't seen any demands on her part, unless you want to count anger management -- which, since that's Dr. Harley's advice anyway, and the alternative is separation, sounds perfectly fine to me. Dr. Harley tells people that one of the few times he recommends demands is demanding that a spouse end an affair. This sounds perfectly similar to me. And from the call it sounds to me like at this point Zhamila's husband is enthusiastic about it.

As for the mail, telling your spouse it bothers you when they do something, and expecting them to stop, that's not a demand.

C
C
Like our donuts, you have to come back to it. Remember? I didn't want him to "buy" in, I didn't respect that, but after a few weeks, he brought donuts and it was fine with me.

Him getting the mail should have been up for renegotiation within a year.

(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
Like our donuts, you have to come back to it. Remember? I didn't want him to "buy" in, I didn't respect that, but after a few weeks, he brought donuts and it was fine with me.

Right.

But I think you are making the case that it's Zhamila's fault that it wasn't up for renegotiation again? And I didn't hear that from Dr. Harley anywhere.

Zhamila definitely needs to be validated on the fact that she is not crazy, and that it is perfectly normal for her to have had trouble negotiating in the past because of her husband's angry outbursts. Dr. Harley expressed that multiple times during the call. His angry outbursts are one of the big obstacles that have prevented them from negotiating, according to Dr. Harley, and she is not crazy to feel that way.

According to Dr. Harley, they should try negotiating now with the notebook, and in fact they should practice frequenntly with lots of little conflicts, and any time negotiations become unpleasant or unsafe, they should stop and put it off till later.

You agree with all this, right? Because I'm worried that you are trying to convince Zhamila that she is, in fact, crazy to have such a problem with her husband's angry outbursts. And that's completely opposite of Marriage Builders. Dr. Harley and his coach have validated every single complaint Prisca has ever had about me, including a whole LOT of them that kept us from negotiating, and a whole LOT of them that I initially thought were just her being too sensitive.

P
P

What's the first rule of negotiation?
According to Dr. Harley, is negotiation possible when that rule is not followed?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

C
C
No, I said it seemed to me that she states something, he folds, then he resents her for his own folding. Thats why I suggested she make a complaint without offering a solution.

(Oscar Wilde)
P
P
Originally Posted by BritsBrat
AO's are never acceptable but if someone is aggitating, there comes a point where a person feels like a rat backed into a corner.
But this is the opposite of what Dr. Harley says about anger. You won't find Dr. Harley saying this, because it is contrary to his advice and beliefs on AOs, and their effect on marriage.

You are pushing your own opinions instead of MB advice.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

K
K
So Mr.Z needs to tell Z "I'm not enthusiastic about A and B. How about if we do X, Y, and Z?" And they go from there while avoiding AOs.

I don't know about the mail but it seems he's not enthusiastic about him not being able to get the mail.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
I don't know about the mail but it seems he's not enthusiastic about him not being able to get the mail.

This is one of the things I think we seem to miss sometimes here on the boards, expecting people to stop at the "do nothing." But you are right, that won't work, because he's not enthusiastic about that. Dr. Harley explains in the broadcast that they should use "do nothing" as a temporary solution while negotiating, and that they should continue to negotiate until they have an alternative they are both enthusiastic about.

This was a great broadcast and I think I'm going to save it to link to in the future to answer "The POJA doesn't work because it lets my spouse get their way, because 'do nothing' is what they want."

C
C
I wish Zhamila would post! I hope she is willing to negotiate the mail. I would be interested to hear if they came up with any alternatives that they can both get behind.

(Oscar Wilde)
C
C

(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
That was an excellent radio show! I remember my frustration learning the POJA, Zhamilia. I also felt like my husband was coming up with "micky mouse" complaints and complained about him to Dr Harley. However, it doesn't matter what I think of his complaints; what matters is that I knock off the offending behavior.

From what I have gleaned here, your husband is having AO's when you complain. In my case, my H was having AO's in reaction to my independent behavior. As Harley has said, a complaint is an irritation in a bad marriage and an opportunity for improvement in a good marriage. In my marriage today, I listen to my husband's complaints, no matter how "micky mouse" and do my best to make him happy. And I sure don't tell him I think his complaints are "micky mouse" anymore.

My point there was that your complaints are not the problem but his AO's ARE.

Dr Harley told my husband that he had to knock off the angry outbursts and get into anger management. That resolving our issues was impossible unless he did that. So the others are right, the first step is for him to follow Dr H's advice and stop his AO's. You aren't going to get anywhere until that happens.

I think you guys would GREATLY benefit from getting into the online program becuase you would have daily access to Dr Harley. Dr H nipped our POJA fights in the bud immediately just by posting to us over on the private forum. You and your husband need that kind of daily, hands on guidance in my opinion.

Z, I am going to post my posts about our experience with the POJA.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Zhamila
I just feel like I'm going crazy or something. I do have voice recordings and my journal with word-for-word interactions...I'm not imagining all this.

Zhamila, you are not crazy at all! Just stick with us. I am going to post our silly fight over the lettuce back in 2007 and how Dr Harley put a stop to that. I want to point out that my DH has not had an angry outburst since Dr H told him to knock it off! grin

Originally Posted by Melodylane
Hi Dr. Harley, we are struggling with the implementation of POJA. I knew this would be a problem for me because of my penchant for independent behavior. [I scored a 20 on your test and DH scored a 5] But he seems to continually engage in angry outbursts. Over micky mouse stuff, usually related to money, even though we make a good living and are financially comfortable.

Can you look at this dialogue, which happened in the grocery store today, and tell me how this should be done? This is the 2nd week in a row he has exploded in the grocery store. You had mentioned learning POJA skills in the grocery store and it is not going well!

Mel: does a salad sound good to you for dinner?
DH: that's fine
We approach the produce section and DH picks up a head of lettuce

Mel: I had planned on getting kale, romaine or spinach because there is no nutritional value in lettuce
DH: says nothing
MEL: grabs a bag of shredded romaine lettuce
DH: I REFUSE TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A BAG OF LETTUCE!!! [it is $2.99 whereas the head of lettuce is $.89] PUT IT BACK!!
Mel, horrified and embarrassed at this outburst, tries to ignore him because she can't believe he is acting so disrespectfully over $2.99
DH follows her and says again: "MEL, PUT THAT BACK!! I REFUSE!!"

I take the salad dressing I am carrying, slam it into the cart and say "that's it, I am done" and leave the store. He follows me out to the car with "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you can go back in and get the groceries. I will stay out here and leave you alone."

We had a similar scene the week before where he went into a rage over tortillas. I tossed 2 packages into the cart and then decided to add another. [we had company coming] He pitched a fit and demanded I put back the 3rd package.

Dr. Harley, just so you know, I am 50 years old, have a successful career, and am financially comfortable, and can damn well afford tortillas and romaine lettuce.

Every time he has one of these meltdowns over micky mouse stuff, I can hardly stand him for a week. What do you suggest?

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
MelodyLane: There are two separate issues that should be addressed in your marriage: angry outbursts and independent behavior. The more important of the two is the angry outbursts.

The trigger for your husband's angry outburst is your independent behavior. It's the reason for his angry outburst, but it's no excuse. Your husband should attend anger management training until he can control his anger under all circumstances, regardless of how frustrating they may be to him. My position on this issue is repeated throughout my books, articles and radio show. Anger solves no problems -- they create new ones.

Originally Posted by goldwinger, ML's husband
I realise that there is a problem on how we commicate and I will work on resolving that problem.

I am confused on the angry outburst comment though. At no time did I get angry and have an outburst. My idea of of an outburst is yelling and screaming but I guess that is not the case? Talking to ML though I do see where she thinks it was, so I apologise And will take the approipate actions to amke sure it does not happen again. Honestly looking back, it shouldnt of been that big of deal to me and should of let it pass.

However,It seems to me that whenever I disagree with ML, that her first commment is that I am trying to control her. Same could be said about POJA.....

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
goldwinger59: If your wife's description of your interaction is correct, you had an angry outburst. It was not simply letting her know that you were not enthusiastic about buying the Romaine lettuce. Granted, she may have problems with independent behavior, but if you respond with an angry reaction, it will lead to either a fight or her withdrawal from you. So the first order of business should be to identify your angry reactions, and completely eliminate them from your conversation.

As for her independent behavior, it's an issue that you have probably been trying to iron out for some time. It's tough getting used to asking how a spouse feels about a decision before it's made, particularly when you think you have the right to make unilateral decisions. But your wife wants to get into the habit of using the POJA, and the more you practice it, the better you'll get at it. Just don't get angry with her when she fails the test.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Originally Posted by Melodylane
Hi Dr. Harley, I wanted to give you an update on how well your advice has worked. We are somewhat surprised at how different things are now compared to the past. The changes we have made in IB and AO have had a domino effect and are impacting other emotional needs in a positive way. In the past, my H would blow up about once a month, usually in response to my IB and then I would withdraw. I have to admit I was pretty bad, though.

He has not had an angry outburst since you told him that [I think he was SHOCKED to be told he was having an AO], mostly because he is now relaxed around me. He is relaxed around me because I am not "surprising" him with regular bouts of IB. We POJA most of our spending so he doesn't worry all the time, and he gets to rathole money every month. [he loves to save money]

This change has led to him meeting my need for admiration, affection and my willingness to meet his for RC because he is so much more pleasant to be around.

The key, indeed, was learning to POJA in the grocery store. Our visits to the grocery store today are pleasant and enjoyable. We know pretty much what we want and what is acceptable to the other so there is no longer fireworks. This has expanded to all other areas of our life.

Thanks, Mel

MelodyLane:

While there are no excuses for angry outbursts in marriage, there are reasons, and independent behavior usually tops the list. I'm happy to hear that you're making it easier for your husband to overcome his AOs by avoiding IB. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by markos
"I really think that in the case of Zhamila and her husband that if he wasn't serious about his anger, I would recommend that she separate. In fact, there is an argument to make that she probably should separate until the problem is resolved."
Z, markos is quoting Dr. Harley there. Dr. Harley doesn't think you're crazy - he takes your husband's AO problem seriously. He's got your back here, so keep emailing him, okay?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Originally Posted by markos
"I really think that in the case of Zhamila and her husband that if he wasn't serious about his anger, I would recommend that she separate. In fact, there is an argument to make that she probably should separate until the problem is resolved."
Z, markos is quoting Dr. Harley there. Dr. Harley doesn't think you're crazy - he takes your husband's AO problem seriously. He's got your back here, so keep emailing him, okay?

This is absolutely true, Zhamila. If your H can't get his anger under control, Dr. H will tell you to separate! You need to stay in touch with him.

Exposure 101

Page 33 of 46 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation