Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
kerala Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So, I came across the following quote from DNM and it intrigued me. It was on 20YHistory's thread:

Yep, those statements really transform a conversation. "I'd like to brainstorm about..." is sometimes a tough one if you don't keep the conversation focused right. You want to pick the things you are enthusiastic about, and ignore the ones you aren't! If you take the typical brainstorming approach of discussing the shortfalls of certain approaches, it makes the conversation very negative. Best to say "I'm not enthusiastic about that option by itself" and move on. Most of our best brainstorms are hybrids of several ideas, and end up something like "If we do this in this way, and that in this other way, then I'm enthusiastic about some other thing."

Be careful of time-dependent enthusiastic agreement. For instance, I was not enthusiastic about disposing of our old fridge. I gave provisional enthusiastic agreement: I agreed we'd try out this new fridge for three months, and if we didn't like it we could put the old one back. Well, I **hate** the new fridge. It's already cost us $10,000 in a flood due to a busted icemaker. [b]But my wife is no longer enthusastic about moving the old fridge back in from the garage, and since the default position is to "do nothing", we're stuck with a fridge I hate with a broken icemaker until we come to an enthusiastic agreement about replacing it.

Lesson learned: never make an agreement based upon a future promise. One of you is going to lose in that kind of agreement.

But I do keep complaining. "I really dislike this refrigerator", "I'm unhappy this heap is still in the house," "I'd like to dispose of this refrigerator", etc. Gotta make sure she knows how I feel, as this has put me on the losing end of a POJA. However, resentment due to passivity is less strong than active resentment due to something you've done! So if I remind my spouse how unhappy this refrigerator has made me, that's much better than if I drag the refrigerator out to the front yard unilaterally and take my chainsaw to it. My resentment over the refrigerator will be gone the day we get a new one; her resentment over me taking a chainsaw to the fridge, forcing us to use the old one, would last a long, long time...

I didn't want to disrupt that thread, but it seems to me that Dr. Harley has discussed provisional agreements (say, moving) and has endorsed them when it simply isn't POSSIBLE to know how the parties will react after a period of time. But, here, DNM is saying that the new fridge has become the status quo and changes to THAT must be POJA'd. That would seem to sound the deathknell for the possibility of reaching agreemnent where there is deeply opposing emotions/feelings, ie., over where to live.

That seems wrong. Obviously DMN must continue to avoid IB and SDs, but...something about this just seems off. I wonder, too, about the Type A/Type B resentment as applied to this kind of sitch. Nor am I so sure that DNM's resentment will fade once they get a new fridge. Why wouldn't it fester in the back of his mind? $10,000 is ALOT of money.

But....I don't know. Hence my new thread.

M
M
The default position is to go back to the OLD fridge. Yes, he agreed to try the new fridge, but it didn't work out, so the solution is to go back to the status quo until an agreement is reached if one can't be reached now.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
But when I say "default" I want to emphasize that "default" is the fall back position *IF* another solution is not found. Default is not the desired position and is only meant to be very temporary if it has to be at all. It is hoped that they don't have to return to the default position and can successfully brainstorm a solution that is pleasing to both.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
kerala Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
The default position is to go back to the OLD fridge. Yes, he agreed to try the new fridge, but it didn't work out, so the solution is to go back to the status quo until an agreement is reached if one can't be reached now.

Thank you - that is exactly how I thought MB principles would apply! So, if DNM's wife doesn't want the old fridge, it is still ok for DNM to put it back (as long as he does not engage in SD or other bad behaviour while doing it)?

I mean, I get that DNM may well feel it isn't WORTH the blowback he might get from his wife, but in MB terms he would be, I don't know, "within his rights"?

Last edited by kerala; 08/19/12 03:29 PM. Reason: clarity
M
M
The default position would be to put the old frig back, because the agreement is negated, but that shouldn't happen as long as they successfully negotiate a new decision. The default position is temporary and not the desired state. Harley says the longest should take is 3 days.

Exposure 101

K
kerala Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Great, thank you ML.

M
M
Any time! laugh

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation