Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 67 1 2 3 4 5 66 67
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
FF, this is the most important part of this program. Nothing we tell you to try will have any effect unless you get 20+ hours of undivided attention time. This program will not work without it. So that is where I would suggest you start.

Well to start off with, we are buying one of those 5000 (or more) piece puzzles. Something that we can glue together and hang on the wall in a frame when done. It will give us something to work on each night together after the kids are in bed.

Sounds kind if lame I know, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. We plan to POJA the puzzle purchase first. smile

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
L
L
the puzzle sounds like fun! my H and i love board games (puzzles are kinda like board games to me).

doing the ENQs isn't as labourious as it sounds. well, it is the first time, because it's hard to both think of what specifically you need to feel fulfilled AND to relay that to your spouse. make sure you follow the instructions in the book on how to do this so it is not full of pitfalls or argumentative. you need to respect each other's needs and meet them in a way that is pleasurable. after that, it's a checkpoint, because ENs change over time - as she falls in love with you, those intimate needs will become higher on the list. this is good, because meeting those needs helps you stay in love. also, you may have realised over time how you *really* like for a need to be met, and want to share that. it's a nice way to spend couple time learning about each other, too.

just as a for example, originally, O&H was my #1 EN. but after i started receiving it regularly, it fell down the list. this doesn't mean it's not/no longer important, but that affection & SF were *more* important for me to feel in love.

i think mel mentioned above that your UA time should be spent meeting the most important ENs to create that "in love" feeling, so while you're puzzling, you want to be affectionate, have IC, etc. i'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel "in love" on your wedding day frown UA time is the best, though. the whole point of MB is to create the incredible marriage you always wished to have. it doesn't matter what the state of it was before this crisis. you can still create a great marriage!

can the two of you can get away for a short break? dr harley recommends a three week vacation for spouses to reconnect. being away from the regular routine really helps couples focus on each other. if you can't take a real holiday, do try to get away for a weekend or "mini-break." it doesn't have to be a flashy hotel, just away from home with the two of you. turn off the phones, no computer, just you two.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Letty
can the two of you can get away for a short break? dr harley recommends a three week vacation for spouses to reconnect. being away from the regular routine really helps couples focus on each other. if you can't take a real holiday, do try to get away for a weekend or "mini-break." it doesn't have to be a flashy hotel, just away from home with the two of you. turn off the phones, no computer, just you two.

I think three weeks would be out of the question really. We don't have family we could leave the young kids with that long. Even one week is probably out of range. We could probably get away for a couple of days at most.

I'll bring it up though. It would be great I agree.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
G
G
FTF,

Not lame at all, you have to spend time together if you want to have a shot at it, it almost doesn't matter what you do together either. Dr Harley recommends a minimum of 15 hours.

Before MB I rarely went grocery shopping with my W, we went to separate churches, but now we do those things together and those short duration activities do help. It would be ideal if we both compromised on activities, but I would rather give my marriage a chance than get my way.

God Bless
Gamma

M
M
IT takes 15 hours to MAINTAIN romantic love and 20+ hours to CREATE. It should be scheduled in 2 to 4 hour blocks to be effective.

Your puzzle is a great UA time activity! I would be sure and pack in several dates per week though. UA time spent at home is not nearly as effective as UA time spent out on dates. Time spent at home is not nearly as romantic as getting dressed up and going out on dates.

Harley wrote this over on the private forum:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
One problem with spending your time for undivided attention in the house is that at least one of your children will interrupt your privacy. But even if you were to send all of your children out of your hours to child care, the environment of your home is likely to cause you to be less romantic. It's a place where you have been busy caring for children. Going almost anywhere else to be alone, giving each other your undivided attention when you are there, would tend to create more of an opportunity to meet each other's intimate emotional needs.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
I think three weeks would be out of the question really. We don't have family we could leave the young kids with that long. Even one week is probably out of range. We could probably get away for a couple of days at most.

If you could get out for a weekend alone every 3-4 weeks, that would make a huge impact on your efforts.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
IT takes 15 hours to MAINTAIN romantic love and 20+ hours to CREATE. It should be scheduled in 2 to 4 hour blocks to be effective.

Your puzzle is a great UA time activity! I would be sure and pack in several dates per week though. UA time spent at home is not nearly as effective as UA time spent out on dates. Time spent at home is not nearly as romantic as getting dressed up and going out on dates.

Harley wrote this over on the private forum:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
One problem with spending your time for undivided attention in the house is that at least one of your children will interrupt your privacy. But even if you were to send all of your children out of your hours to child care, the environment of your home is likely to cause you to be less romantic. It's a place where you have been busy caring for children. Going almost anywhere else to be alone, giving each other your undivided attention when you are there, would tend to create more of an opportunity to meet each other's intimate emotional needs.

I did go to the effort of finding a regular baby sitter. We have discussed a local place we can go to play pool occasionally. I'd like to work this into our regular schedule.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
I did go to the effort of finding a regular baby sitter. We have discussed a local place we can go to play pool occasionally. I'd like to work this into our regular schedule.

Perfect!!

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F

Perfect!!

The W got a neighbor friend to commit to watching the kids tomorrow evening (for free!) so we can go out to dinner!

I still don't think we are going to make it to 20 hours this week though. Too many things got in the way. We have a sick dog we had to take to the vet, and the kids didn't get to bed early enough. frown

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
The W got a neighbor friend to commit to watching the kids tomorrow evening (for free!) so we can go out to dinner!

I still don't think we are going to make it to 20 hours this week though. Too many things got in the way. We have a sick dog we had to take to the vet, and the kids didn't get to bed early enough. frown

Best thing to do is to order that workbook and sit down and schedule out your week. That way you can put less important things AFTER your dates. Schedule the majority of your UA time away from your home so it is not contingent upon your kids getting to bed.

UA time after your kids go to bed is not very effective because your kids can get up and because it is way too easy to get distracted with chores, phone calls, TV shows, etc.

Exposure 101

W
W

Perfect!!

FTF,
You're doing great keep it up.
Don't let anything keep you from the 20 plus UA hours a week!
Look over your schedule again,you will find things you can live without to get that time in.
It is too important to you and your FWW's recovery.

Me 59 newly married after being a widow
Married 1 year
F
OP Offline
F
Are you guys who are doing this for real really getting out of the house 3-4 nights a week for hours at a time?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
G
G
FTF,

On the 15-20 hours, it's also important that your WW is spending more time with you than anyone else, with the exception of your immediate family. If your WW really only has 5 hours left over because she is with her disabled mother at a nursing home, it important that 4 of those 5 hours are not spent talking a symphatheic co-worker. Simply put we become bonded to people we spend more time with.

There would even be a danger to your marriage if WW was spending 30 hours a week with OM and 15 hours with you in the absence of very extraordinary precautions.

God Bless
Gamma

F
OP Offline
F
Well, she is a SAHM for now. She left her job after the A. She watches a couple of kids during the week after school for some extra money.

She isn't spending more time with someone else at this point for sure.

I was just wondering how many here "walk the walk" on the 4, 4 hour block suggestion. Particularly those with young children.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
W
W
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
The woman on the show was not yet in love with her husband. It would be helpful to have follow up on her, but we do know that MB works 100% of the time if it's followed by both spouses.

Back a few conversations ago, you asked what Dr. Harley meant by a "distraction" when the woman was talking about body type she prefers. By that, I understand him to mean that body type is way down on the list of what it takes to fall in love. Once your wife is in love with you again, that you have bigger or smaller arms, broad or not-so-broad chest, will not matter in the least. A body type is not what it takes to fall in love; it takes meeting the intimate emotional needs and plenty of UA time that is the most enjoyable time of one's week.

That you are angry is understandable, but you will need to exercise extreme self control and not talk about the affair, once you have all your questions answered. It's not to give the once-adulterous spouse a free pass or a break; rather it's because talking about the affair is so unpleasant and will withdraw love units for both of you. It will NOT help to discuss it. Only rebuilding the romantic love and having a safe marriage will help overcome those feelings of anger. If you want your wife to fall in love with you, you must never raise your voice at her.

I thought it was interesting that he told her she may never have been in love with him. We dated for 6 years before getting married. We were in college, not living together.

I'm not sure we were "in love" the day we got married.

I don't talk about the A any more. I still think about it, but there is really nothing left to say about it. That's primarily the reason I don't want to dredge it back up by involving the toxic friend's husband.

What has made me angry are two things. One was how much energy and passion she put into pursuing him that I don't get. Two is her lack of urgency and action in seeking solutions to our situation. Maybe she just feels hopeless because she doesn't believe she can be attracted to me. I hope the radio segment and Q&A article have planted a seed.
FTF,
I spent many a sleepless night on the very same two questions.
Dr. Harley describes the feeling of love to be finding someone to be irresistible.Wanting to be with that person.
What I came to understand was since my FWW was in love with POSOM due to him meeting some of her unmet EN
she had the overpowering desire to be with him coupled with the secret nature of an A she HAD to put a lot of effort in to her A in order to
1. keep it a secret and
2. To keep him interested.
Your first concern will be to create the feeling of romantic love in your FWW towards you by meeting her top 5 EN's.
Then you also have to tell her what your top 5 EN's are so she can meet them for you.
My FWW was shocked that I would want her to " put in the effort" as I called it.
I assumed she would know that most all men would want to meet at a motel JUST FOR SEX or send them a sexy text giving updates on how much she was looking forward to it.
The point is she didn't think about doing these things with me because I never let her know that I would very much like that kind of effort. After all SF is my #1 EN and it is my job to let her know that.
The second one was harder to understand.
I wanted my FWW to read SSA she didn't think she needed to. If I insisted on her reading it after she expressed reluctance it would become a SD.
That's where POJA comes in and learning how to negotiate without LB's.
Long story short she and I agreed to read it together and she is now 100% on board with MB!
It not only takes UA and input on EN but also care to nurture the
desire to create the great marriage you want.
Sounds to me that you are well on your way! Keep your eye on the prize and remember that you are refilling a love bank that has been depleted!

Me 59 newly married after being a widow
Married 1 year
M
M
Well, she is a SAHM for now. She left her job after the A. She watches a couple of kids during the week after school for some extra money.

She isn't spending more time with someone else at this point for sure.

I was just wondering how many here "walk the walk" on the 4, 4 hour block suggestion. Particularly those with young children.

The ones in the recovered, happy marriages DO and the ones in the unhappy, resentful marriages DON'T. The reason is because if you can't find the time, it means you don't put your marriage FIRST. If you don't put your marriage first, you will have an unhappy, unrecovered marriage. And keep in mind, this program doesn't work without this step. It is impossible to restore romantic love without doing this because unless your are spending 15+ hours of UA time each week, you are not doing enough to sustain your marriage.

Anything that comes BEFORE your marriage will eventually come between you. My question to those who can't find the time: do you find time to go to work? If so, then why can't you find time to do something that is more important than your job?

Even so, you don't have to do a single damn one of these steps. This entire program is voluntary. It just doesn't work unless you use the entire program.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley in Undivided Attention
It's incredible how many couples have tried to talk me out of their spending more time together. They begin by trying to convince me that it's impossible. Then they go on to the argument that it's impractical. But in the end, they usually agree that without time for undivided attention, they cannot re-create the love they once had for each other.

And that's my point. Unless you and your spouse schedule time each week for undivided attention, it will be impossible to meet each other's most important emotional needs. So to help you and your spouse clear space in your schedule for each other, I encourage you to follow

The Policy of Undivided Attention:
Give your spouse your undivided attention
a minimum of fifteen hours each week,
using the time to meet the emotional needs of
affection, sexual fulfillment, intimate conversation, and recreational companionship.
This policy will help you avoid one of the most common mistakes -- neglecting each other after marriage. I have tried to clarify this policy for you by offering three corollaries: Privacy, Objectives and Amount.

<snip>

The reason I have so much difficulty getting couples to spend time alone together is that when I first see them for counseling, they are not in love. Their relationship does not do anything for them, and the time spent with each other seems like a total waste at first. But when they spend time together, they learn to re-create the romantic experiences that first nurtured their love relationship. Without that time, they have little hope of restoring the love they once had for each other.

But fifteen hours a week is usually not nearly enough time for couples that are not yet in love. To help them jump-start their relationship, I usually suggest twenty-five or thirty hours a week of undivided attention until they are both in love with each other again.

Your time together is too important to the security of your marriage to neglect. It's more important than time spent doing anything else during the week, including time with your children and your job. Remember that the time you should set aside is only equivalent to a part-time job. It isn't time you don't have; it's time you will use for something less important, if you don't use it for each other.
here

Exposure 101

S
S
Are you guys who are doing this for real really getting out of the house 3-4 nights a week for hours at a time?
People here have a variety of resources at their disposal. Some who earn good salaries are able to pay for a sitter 3 or 4 nights per week. Some are able to draw upon family for free childcare. Dr Harley said that when his kids were tiny and his wife was a SAHM, they had both sets of parents living nearby, and they used both sets and still spent money on sitters. I read recently that they had a list of ten sitters on hand.

If you do not have family to draw upon free once or twice a week (plus a paid sitter), your wife could try minding other people's kids during the daytime (not full time, unless she wants to!) in return for a couple of evenings per week, or she could charge money for watching kids in the daytime and use that to pay babysitters. Mother and toddler groups are good for finding swaps, or finding someone well-off who will pay for a couple of mornings' freedom. I met people like this in my mother-and-baby group.

You could leave the kids with the grandparents one weekend afternoon every week (added to the paid babysitter and perhaps a childcare swap). Drop them off, go for lunch or an early dinner and pick them up.

If you can possibly leave the kids overnight one night every week that would be fantastic.

You have to be really creative, but you MUST make this work. Your wife is probably like a lot of women, fulfilled and happy to be bringing up her kids but DESPERATE for grown-up company by the end of the day, and missing the romance that brought you two together. She would love to go on dates 4 times per week.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
D
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Have you asked your wife specifically what it is about you that she finds unappealing. What is it that makes you sexually unattractive TO HER?

That has the potential to be an extremely negative conversation. Dr. Harley's usual advice is to ask what emotional needs the affair partner met so that you can meet those better than the AP could have.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
L
L
DoNoMo,

You are right, and Dr. Harley says that concentrating on this would be a distraction, but this question was in his radio show. He was asking the WW, just a week out from NC, if there was something in particular that she found sexually unattractive that her husband has some control over. It turned out it her case that it was just some different body part arrangement, height or big muscles. Dr. Harley said that once she was in love with her H, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

However, if it's something like being overweight or poor hygiene, then this would be something to change that he would have control over. And actually should this change be necessary, it would be part of meeting a need for physical attractiveness.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
Page 3 of 67 1 2 3 4 5 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 978 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation