Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
This is a good show, from our friend optimism and his now wife NG (fiancee at the time of the show).

Radio Clip
Segment #2
Segment #3

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
OP Offline
M
Following this policy means that neither you nor your husband act to reprimand or discipline any child until you have reached an enthusiastic agreement about it. At first, you may not agree about much of anything, in which case you are not to discipline the children (they may do whatever they please). But as you practice applying the policy, you and your husband will begin to establish guidelines in child-rearing issues, and agreements will start to form. Eventually, you will agree on how to discipline your children in a way that takes each other's feelings into account, and your marriage will be saved.

The above, by Dr. H, was on the first link.

After reading this, I feel somewhat confident that BS and I will be okay, if we were to blend our families. We do take either other's feelings into account on everything. It comes naturally for us, and we actually enjoy the poja steps. He thinks that it is fun, and of course you know I love that!

Your husband disciplines your children in a way that does not take your feelings into account, and that is the core of your problem: He does not follow the Policy of Joint Agreement.

And this was the old relationship with my ex that I cannot tell you how much I loathed.

Thanks for the links BH.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010
Him-several affairs, last one 3/2011
Divorced filed 3/2011, final 3/2012

Formerly "Mopey".
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013149&page=1

After a 4 yr FR, it became CLEAR to me of what you can look for in a FR. And that is the absence of POJA, and/or if your spouse tramples on your boundaries. If someone is not willing to do POJA with you, and they don't respect your boundaries, imo, the relationship is doomed.
M
M
I just can't seem to get the warm and fuzzy from your thread....2 divorces and you started dating while still married.

Can I assume you are sleeping with him also?

Dr. Harley has a very fine line towards becoming a buyer....it first starts as freeloaders....then renters .... finally buyers.

If someone becomes a buyer too soon there is a high likelihood it is too good to be true.

I caution the follow your feelings here.....logically this situation screams redflag

Seriously 2 divorces...alcoholism...adultery....why not figure out first why you choose this kind of a train wreck before jumping in with a newly divorced man?

Last edited by WalkinForward; 04/28/13 08:38 PM.
M
M
The mere fact you stayed away from posting this information from posters who cared for you implies you knew this new love situation would not be welcomed .... which suggests you took on a wayward mentality to justify being with a married man....

My4Loves #2722580 04/28/13 09:08 PM
M
OP Offline
M
You're right. The divorce wasn't finished when we started seeing each other. That and the fact I didn't wait two years before I started dating again are the reasons I avoided the conflict of wearing the WS hat, along with my justifications, which I've already mentioned in my first post.

Last edited by MyJourney; 04/28/13 09:30 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013149&page=1

After a 4 yr FR, it became CLEAR to me of what you can look for in a FR. And that is the absence of POJA, and/or if your spouse tramples on your boundaries. If someone is not willing to do POJA with you, and they don't respect your boundaries, imo, the relationship is doomed.
My4Loves #2722582 04/28/13 09:14 PM
M
OP Offline
M
WF,

I appreciate the time you took to offer your opinion.

As far a being a buyer, Dr. Harley says that you become a buyer the moment you agree to POJA. I just listened to a segment where he said that in one of the links above that BH posted.

If someone becomes a buyer too soon there is a high likelihood it is too good to be true.

Why do you think that? I see that as someone who cares for the other person. That's what Harley says it is anyway.

Edited to add..... We began our relationship using poja, but that doesn't mean we were ready to get married right away. We've both been divorced for a year now, and I'm positive we wouldn't consider getting married for a year at the minimum.

why not figure out first why you choose this kind of a train wreck before jumping in with a newly divorced man?

I spent 4 years in personal counseling, and countless hours reading Dr. H's stuff, the forums here, and more than that figuring out why I picked the two previous train wrecks.

I assure you, this man is not a train wreck.

Last edited by MyJourney; 04/28/13 09:31 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

My4Loves #2722584 04/28/13 09:19 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I also don't believe that just because someone is newly divorced that they're a train wreck.

Last edited by MyJourney; 04/28/13 09:31 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

BrainHurts #2722594 04/28/13 10:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks again BH. I enjoyed those segments. I followed Opt's and NG's thread for a long time and I always thought they had a good relationship. It was cute that they were concerned about following MB concepts before marriage.

Last edited by MyJourney; 04/28/13 10:31 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

MyJourney #2722595 04/28/13 10:38 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by MyJourney
Thanks again BH. I enjoyed those segments. I followed Opt's and NG's thread for a long time and I always thought they had a good relationship. It was cute that they were concerned about following MB concepts before marriage.
You're welcome.

I know, right?

Here's another show, but I didn't think it pertained as much to your situation because your children are grown and the callers aren't.

Radio Clip on a Blended Family
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

BrainHurts #2722798 04/29/13 06:04 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks again BH. I'll try to listen to these tonight.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

MyJourney #2722877 04/29/13 10:32 PM
H
H
Hi Mopey,

SMB and I are sitting here together catching up on your thread.

Though we can't speak much to your current situation, we both are soooooo glad that Windtoxic is out of your life.... smile

You sound like you are in such a better place.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
HerPapaBear #2722878 04/29/13 10:34 PM
M
M
Hey mopey!! hug

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

HerPapaBear #2722899 04/29/13 11:43 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello SMB and HPB! Great to hear from you.

Though we can't speak much to your current situation, we both are soooooo glad that Windtoxic is out of your life....

The Windtoxic definitely made me laugh, so thanks for that. From the moment WT left, I started healing. I smile all the time.

I actually felt grateful towards the last OW for killing whatever feelings, however small, left for exWH.

I hope you both are doing well. From the last I read, you were growing your family. Sounds like good fruit.

Thanks for taking the time to touch base.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

MelodyLane #2722900 04/29/13 11:44 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Melody! Back atcha! hug

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

MyJourney #2723190 05/01/13 09:36 AM
P
P
Great that you have found happiness! It sometimes comes in strange ways! Enjoy!

Pineneedle #2723269 05/01/13 05:56 PM
L
L
Your situation was so like mine that I wondered what had happened when you disappeared. Actually I guessed you had met someone. So glad you are back and that you are happy.

Remember that in a rebound relationship you are looking to get the needs met that were least met in your previous relationship. That would be openness and honesty which this person is obviously doing a great job with but eventually all your ENs will need to be met.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
Pineneedle #2723336 05/01/13 09:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you Pineneedle. smile I appreciate the kind thoughts.

I am happy, and I worked hard to get here. Just like many others here before me. Lots of grieving and growing. It does get better. Way better. This place was a Godsend. I'm happy you're here too, considering the circumstances.

Last edited by MyJourney; 05/01/13 09:32 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

living_well #2723360 05/01/13 10:28 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi LW! smile

How are you? I'm assuming you're Living Well? smile

Another way we're alike... We both changed our previous names to something more fitting to a serial adulterer free lifestlye. Feels good doesn't it? smile

Yeah, I felt bad for disappearing. I'm glad Pep spotted me. I just started typing and let it out. smile

I was wondering if you guys thought I'd met someone. blush Makes me wonder where everybody else is. smile

Remember that in a rebound relationship you are looking to get the needs met that were least met in your previous relationship. That would be openness and honesty which this person is obviously doing a great job with but eventually all your ENs will need to be met.

This is an excellent thing to bring up. My boyfriend and I were just talking to each other tonight about rebound relationships and what exactly one is.

I would agree with you that I did have a high need for O&H, given all the deceit in my last relationship. You are correct in that my BF does an excellent job of meeting that need for me. He goes out of his way to meet that need for me and does it lovingly. What a refreshing change of pace. I wouldn't settle for anything less now.

My BF and I did a ENQ about 5 months into our relationship. We have both taken the information given us seriously and we have fun meeting each other's needs. We talk in MB terms. smile He meets ALL top 5 needs of mine very well, and the rest so well I don't feel like I'm wanting for anything. Every now and then we'll discuss how one of us could hit the mark better on something. The great thing about that is that we actually do try to improve. However, I am dreading the day he ask me to get better about my punctuality. smile

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is that I don't have to wait for him to eventually meet all of my needs. He already does.

So am I missing something?

Wikipedia's definition of a rebound relationship:

Someone who is "on the rebound," or recently out of a serious dating relationship, is popularly believed to be psychologically incapable of making reasonable decisions regarding suitable partners due to emotional neediness, lingering feelings towards the old partner, or unresolved problems from the previous relationship. Rebound relationships are believed to be short-lived due to one partner's emotional instability and desire to distract themselves from a painful break up, and those emerging from serious relationships are often advised to avoid serious dating until their tumultuous emotions have calmed.

I do believe that I was of a sound mind to make a reasonable decision on dating this person when I met him. I was not in the depths of despair, and life was pretty good at that point. The only thing I ever was upset about was not having more financial stability.

It is true that I was emotionally starved in my previous marriage. However, once we separated and I was on my own, after several months I learned that all I needed was to be kind and loving to those around me, including myself, no matter how bad I was hurting then, love would be returned to me. And that's all I really needed. It always was returned and I felt loved and full. My needs for conversation, RC, affection, etc were met and I didn't get it from one person. I received love my kids, my friends, even my employers were great. People I met at the grocery store, school, just about anywhere I went was another opportunity to laugh, smile, and be kind to someone and I got it right back. I felt full, not starved.

I said all of that to say that I don't believe I used my BF, or needed him as a distraction to get me through a rough time, although it didn't hurt either. I was having so much fun when I met him anyway, that I eventually tapered down some of those distractions so I could spend more time with him.

I believe the only instability I've felt since my separation and divorce is financial instability. I have told my BF on several occasions that I wished that I would have met him after I was more financially stable.

So, what do you think? Do you think I'm ok, or do you see a big concern?

Last edited by MyJourney; 05/01/13 10:54 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

MyJourney #2723399 05/02/13 06:41 AM
L
L
Hi LW! smile

How are you? I'm assuming you're Living Well? smile

Another way we're alike... We both changed our previous names to something more fitting to a serial adulterer free lifestlye. Feels good doesn't it? smile

Certainly does!

I believe the only instability I've felt since my separation and divorce is financial instability. I have told my BF on several occasions that I wished that I would have met him after I was more financially stable.

So, what do you think? Do you think I'm ok, or do you see a big concern?

You are doing great! He isn't meeting your EN for financial support is he? Take it one day at a time.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (still seeking), 175 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090
71,845 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation