Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
H
H
Between my fulltime job, 2 children, and assisting my wife with grad school, plus the other million daily responsibilites of life, I have just enough time to read and post here.

I will make time to read LB book.

I will make time to listen to the radio program.

Lovebusters are habits that cause your spouse to be unhappy is taken from one of the articles here. I thought that's how it was defined in the article.

I read the article about depression. Dr. Harley states: "my first item of business is to treat the depression, not the marital problems. The treatment, however, is much simpler than most people think. Anti-depressant medication is the ticket....After (s)he is treated medically for depression, focus your attention on the way you treat each other in the here and now."

HFM chooses not to pursue the initial treatment that Dr. Harley advocates.

P
P
It's right hard to be depressed when you're in love.
QFT

Remember what I said about the NUMBER ONE REASON a woman is depressed?

It's her relationship with her husband.

Fix the relationship, HFD, and the odds are in your favor that YOU will fix her depression. Plus, you'll get the credit for it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Between my fulltime job, 2 children, and assisting my wife with grad school, plus the other million daily responsibilites of life
Between Markos' fulltime job, 6 KIDS, assisting and romancing his wife, and the other million daily responsibilities of life, he still found the time to do what it took for us to recover.

He's not telling you to do anything that he didn't do himself.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

H
H
So, now love is the cure for anxiety and depression?

The relationship is not connected to every thing that makes her anxious or depressed.

She likes where we are, and hopefully where we're headed, much better than where we were in our marriage.

And there's still anxiety. And there's still depression....about work, family, money, etc.

In the article about depression. Dr. Harley states: "my first item of business is to treat the depression, not the marital problems. The treatment, however, is much simpler than most people think. Anti-depressant medication is the ticket....After (s)he is treated medically for depression, focus your attention on the way you treat each other in the here and now."

I am NOT trying to drug her up...and if she does not follow Dr. Harley's initial treatment recommendation for treatment, the solution is?

This is starting to veer off the mark.

H
H
By himself, or were you a willing participant with the program from the get-go?

M
M
Originally Posted by helpfordad
Between my fulltime job, 2 children, and assisting my wife with grad school, plus the other million daily responsibilites of life, I have just enough time to read and post here.

I will make time to read LB book.

I will make time to listen to the radio program.

Lovebusters are habits that cause your spouse to be unhappy is taken from one of the articles here. I thought that's how it was defined in the article.

I read the article about depression. Dr. Harley states: "my first item of business is to treat the depression, not the marital problems. The treatment, however, is much simpler than most people think. Anti-depressant medication is the ticket....After (s)he is treated medically for depression, focus your attention on the way you treat each other in the here and now."

HFM chooses not to pursue the initial treatment that Dr. Harley advocates.

Okay, now you are getting somewhere and researching. smile

But this is actually the answer for a depressed husband.

The first line for a depressed wife is to fix her relationship with her husband! Specifically, the elimination of love busters, and the spending of 15-30 hours together a week meeting the intimate emotional needs.

Prisca has been in and out of depression MANY times in our marriage. (On the order of 30 times, not just 3-4.) It always vanishes when the relationship problems (my love busters, or lack of genuine quality UA time together, or a conflict we haven't negotiated a solution to, yet) clears up.

Prisca has never been on antidepressant medication. I have, though. Taking it was a bit like Iron Man putting on his armor before jumping into that engine and just about killing himself trying to get it started by priming the pump. Kept me sane, kept me going in the face of love busters that weren't going to stop until I made a LOT of things better.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
By himself, or were you a willing participant with the program from the get-go?

Markos is the foremost expert on the board for having a reluctant wife.

I hated MB when we first started. I hated POJA and PORA.

HFD, I had my EA AFTER we started MB. I was also very depressed.

I was not a willing participant in the least. Markos Plan A'd me for a couple years before I showed any interest. And we probably would've recovered faster if he had taken care of his lovebusters sooner.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

H
H
Is seeking medical help or therapy or counseling a "conflict" that can be negotiated?

If a spouse is an alcoholic, and their behaviors due to the alcohol are destroying the marriage, is participating in AA something that is negotiated? Does that fall under POJA? And if the alcoholic spouse will not engage in negotiating, no matter how safe or pleasant the thoughtful request or non-demanding conversation or expression of emotional needs is?

Last edited by helpfordad; 05/15/13 09:40 PM.
P
P
The first line for a depressed wife is to fix her relationship with her husband! Specifically, the elimination of love busters, and the spending of 15-30 hours together a week meeting the intimate emotional needs.
Dr. Harley talks about this on his radio show. He says the number one reason a woman is depressed is because of her relationship with her husband. Fix the relationship, fix the depression.

The answer to your wife's depression is most likely: eliminate your lovebusters, meet her EN, and 15-30 hours UA.

You will find that Dr. Harley often gives different advice depending on the gender of who he is talking to.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Is seeking medical help or therapy or counseling a "conflict" that can be negotiated?

If a spouse is an alcoholic, and their behaviors due to the alcohol are destroying the marriage, is participating in AA something that is negotiated? Does that fall under POJA? And if the alcoholic spouse will not engage in negotiating, no matter how safe or pleasant the thoughtful request or non-demanding conversation or expression of emotional needs is?
Is your wife an alcoholic?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
And sometimes I feel we're underestimating the power of UA time...which is difficult to come by right now.

Well, there you go. You can't survive if you're so busy you can't follow the Policy of Undivided Attention. When he was in active practice, Dr. Harley would refuse to counsel couples who said they would not or could not find this much time. He said it was a waste of their time and his.

You are definitely underestimating UA if you think it's optional! Or if you don't think that it's a CRISIS that the time is hard to come by.

As for the power of UA time - what do you think lifts most depression in wives?

And will look into the home course.

When? Have you done this, yet?

You need to reread this thread over and over again; there is important information here for you. There are recommendations that you need to review every day until you take them. Some examples:

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I can tell you and your wife are not using this program and I am very concerned about you. This is going to get worse, I promise you. Since do-it-yourself has not worked, I would strongly urge you to get professional help. You are not too traumatized. We have couples here where the BS has actual post traumatic stress disorder from false recoveries and by using this program, they have a happy, passionate marriage.

If you don't create a happy marriage, your mind will constantly go to the past and resentment will grow year after year.

So I am not going to tell you to polish off your AO's, I am going to tell you that you and your wife need a COMPLETE overhaul with professional guidance. You have been messing around with this far, far too long.

Melody,

We don't.

We have SAA and HNHN, but not Lovebusters. I need to get it.

I would sign up for the online program and start actually using this program. [they will send you all the books as part of the program]

You need a coach to guide you on a weekly basis, wouldn't you agree? For some reason you and your wife haven't been able to implement this program on your own. I see absolutely no sign that you are actually using this program. You both lovebust each other, you don't meet each others emotional needs and you aren't spending your UA time together. Both you and your wife are miserable.

Recovery does not happen by accident. Having no plan is a plan to fail...as you have discovered the hard way.

Originally Posted by markos
Okay, you need to take this really seriously. After 2? 3? years hanging around Marriage Builders, these are things you ought to know. Get to listening to that radio show. In fact, dig into the archives.

I suspect that he and his wife don't have the self discipline and vision to do this program on their own. This was one of the problems in my own marriage and I think it is the issue here too. Once I had Sandy walking us through the program step by step, it quickly fell into place. I just think some people need that kind of guidance.

Man, here's a great one!

And will look into the home course. It dawned on me that the LB questionnaire is something we never did.

Not the home course, but the online course. You need a coach to guide you.
And sometimes I feel we're underestimating the power of UA time...which is difficult to come by right now.

This program doesn't work without the UA step. When Dr Harley was in active practice he wouldn't even counsel a couple who wouldn't commit to this step.

Just as I suspected, hfd, you aren't even doing Marriage Builders. There is a very good reason why your marriage hasn't improved. And it is because you aren't using the program. NOT because you are "too damaged."

I don't know how to emphasize to you that having no plan for recovery is a plan to fail. YOU ARE FAILING.

Goodness yes:

Originally Posted by maritalbliss
The bottom line that I, and many others, are sensing, is that you and hfm have not been using Marriage Builders as your guide for recovery. Please do make use of the online course. It really is that important. You are seeing that groping your way through recovery is not working. Don't just "look into it." Action, sir. THAT is leading the way in recovery.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
I understand I must eliminate any AOs. I don't know if HFM would agree, but I think I'm an okay person for the most part with the AO being my main failing.

We probably do not get 15-20 hours of UA time a week, most likely due to the demands of grad school for HFM.

I don't recall HFM stating that I'm NOT meeting her ENs; she has not expressed this as a concern or complaint.

Even when things are going well between us, HFM can still be anxious/depressed about her job...or our children...or finances, etc.

H
H
Prisca,

No, she is not.

M
M
I don't recall HFM stating that I'm NOT meeting her ENs; she has not expressed this as a concern or complaint.

I didn't realize this was in any doubt. WE know that your wife's emotional needs are not being met. Are you in disagreement about this?

H
H
The top 4 needs (and some others): conversation, rec companionship, affection, SF. HFM often states that yes, I'm meeting her needs...well, outside of not "spooning" her at night at bedtime once in awhile. (actually, I do almost all nights -- but, I toss and turn during sleep and sometimes don't stay "spooned" throughout the night. We've been "negotiating " that...sorry if that's TMI).

Last edited by helpfordad; 05/15/13 09:55 PM.
P
P
You are not having UA. So, no, you are NOT meeting them.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

H
H
And, conversely, mine are not as well, so long as we aren't committing to the 15+ hours a week?

Grad school takes up ALOT of time...but her earning an advanced degree is a good thing!

Time to have a talk about refocusing on getting that UA time from somewhere in our schedule...

M
M
The top 4 needs (and some others): conversation, rec companionship, affection, SF. HFM often states that yes, I'm meeting her needs...well, outside of not "spooning" her at night at bedtime once in awhile. (actually, I do almost all nights -- but, I toss and turn during sleep and sometimes don't stay "spooned" throughout the night. We've been "negotiating " that...sorry if that's TMI).

Not in adequate quantities, though. We know this because you indicated you guys aren't scheduling and getting the 15 hours of time for these needs. (What luck -- her top four needs are the four needs that should be met during UA! smile ) We can also tell just from the sheer number of problems still extant here. If you were meeting these needs, in adequate quantities, a lot of VERY good things would start happening that aren't happening. Her behavior would be different, and would be making you a LOT happier!

Last edited by markos; 05/15/13 10:04 PM.

M
M
Time to have a talk about refocusing on getting that UA time from somewhere in our schedule...

Yes, it is.

You realize that Dr. Harley and Joyce religiously got their fifteen hours together per week while Dr. Harley was in grad school, right?

P
P
And, conversely, mine are not as well, so long as we aren't committing to the 15+ hours a week?
Do you have feelings of romantic love toward your wife?
Dr. Harley says that a typical man can have his needs met in less time -- but your wife NEEDS at least 15 hours. He also says that a man will typically be much happier if he is getting those hours, even though he can get by with less.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation