Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
L
L
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
He has hit another perfect 10 in how he deals with my children.

Oh my gosh! Have you had him around your children already?

I have told any prospective guy I am dating that my children and dating are separate - period! If they don't like it, bye bye. Big red flag!!

You realize that predators prey on single moms who are willing to allow access them their children, right??

Do not introduce children to anyone you are dating until you have known them for six months. The reason is two fold; one is that you do not want them to bond with someone who could be a short term relationship and the other is that you do not want to use your children as a bonding tool.

In my case I told my children that I had met someone I liked and we agreed on the six month timeframe together.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
My children are high school or older, and my thought was to eliminate anyone who couldn't get along with them, or the menagerie that comprises my household which is a little crazy, but crazy that I love.

The kids are not only OK with the idea of me dating, but very supportive. They have all enthusiastically commented that they would just love for me to be happy. They appreciate being able to meet him, and not only that, they relish the reversal of the "mom" role as they ensure that I am also living up to all of the boundaries that I have set for them and their boyfriends. I haven't handed any authority over to them, of course, but I do try to set the example for them of the same behavior I demand from them.

I certainly wouldn't have allowed any bonding with younger children, but I thought that at their older ages it would be natural for them to be introduced. Also, as long as my children are minors, their needs, safety and stability will always come first, before any new husband, even if it means no husband while they are minors.

I'm not picking up any warning signs about him having any designs on my children, though. I did not reveal much about anything personal - or even that I had any children (or daughters) at home - until our conversations had evolved quite a bit.

But I fully agree that it is my job to always watch out for my minor son and daughters with any male in their life, and always keep my eyes open. And so I have done so, and I think they would tell you that perhaps I have done so even to a fault (in their opinion). I have always told them that the man they LEAST expect - pastor, teacher, family friend - could be a danger to them. Always, always be on guard; do not be alone with men, etc. etc.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
S
OP Offline
S
You abandoned the last thread that you had that was warning you about possible consequences due to your non exposure of your ex H's harmful behavior.

I felt that some of the posters were had become vicious with comments about how I was as bad as my xH in his behavior.

That was completely repulsive, hurtful and unfair. Few of my accusers had any clue about the hell I had been through due to his actions, and I felt their comments were hateful. I certainly in no was culpable for his actions or contributory whatsoever.

I didn't even want to try to defend against that, and having already gotten the answer to my question about whether it's normal for single guys to have teenage sleepovers, I didn't want to spend any of the small store of emotional energy I had available to me at the time defending against spiteful comments.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
Unless I'm reading incorrectly, after one date you took him out-of-state with you to stay at a sibling's house and introduced him to your children. Seems like light speed here...I would really slow this down.

Thank you for your feedback.

We had been on 5 dates, most of which were full days. I had already seen a lot of qualities during POJAs and situations that I had really come to appreciate - he is so opposite of Steubenville in every way. Further, before I married Steubenville, ALL of my family, EVERY friend I had, and ALL of our mutual friends warned me against marrying him, but I was in love and didn't listen. This time around, I want the counsel and opinions of people who love me. My sister is very perceptive about people and asked me to bring him with me so she could meet him. The timing is not very traditional, I agree, but during the trip I learned many more positive things about him and started to fall for him even more.

That you still have not told your children of their father's behavior with the babysitter seems like conflict avoidance to me. Have you told this new man about your ex?

Yes. In fact while we were visiting my sister, my ex lost his comportment at our two teenage daughters on Thanksgiving night, kicked them out of his house - sending them to my house even though he knew I was not home. He then came to my house the next morning - walked right in and continued to verbally assault one of my daughters in her room. He left for a time and then came back after my daughter locked herself in my bedroom. I was able to get Steubenville on the phone and ask him to leave my house, which he did. While this was unfolding, "the new man" was very supportive, appreciated the actions I was taking and wished he would have been there to defend my daughter against her father. He made it very clear that he would have my back, unconditionally, with Steubenville's behavior, and that no one would ever accost people he was responsible for in his home, or in the homes of people he cares about. So he is aware that my xH is likely to continue to cause problems.

S
OP Offline
S
I peeked at your other threads and I am sorry to bring up the unpleasantness of your ex H but I feel it is relevant to this situation.

I would advise you to write to Dr Harley about your ex and the advice you received on that thread to expose in order to allow others to protect themselves/children from your H's behavior. Feel free to explain to him whatever reasons you felt this was not necessary.

And then explain to him this situation about dating this man, rushing things and having him around your daughters.

I am concerned that you don't make good decisions when it comes to protecting your daughters and/or when it comes to men.

I don't want to be harsh but to me, as an outsider, I am seeing some red flags and am truly concerned for your children.

SusieQ, I appreciate the very caring way you voiced your concerns. Thank you.

I learned a lot about protecting my children through the incident with Steubenville. As mentioned in a post above, they think I am overprotective/over-warning. However, if Steubenville could do that to his friend's daughter, to the daughter of someone who knew and trusted him, anyone could do it to any daughter. It was a very hard life lesson, and I have been very diligent in and focused on protecting my sons and daughters with that in mind ever since then.

I do understand that new boyfriends - or even new husbands - should not be left alone with minor daughters. In the event that we would be married prior to the girls moving out to college, we will do some logistical planning around that. He owns his own home about 1.5 hours away, so that may be an option to plan with.

I feel the only outstanding question in your thread is what would Dr. Harley say about exposing the old situation, which I feel that during my close observations over the past 14 years has not been a danger. Is it a danger now that I am not observing? I don't know, but have no recent indications that it is. I will do as you request and send an email.

L
L
My children are high school or older, and my thought was to eliminate anyone who couldn't get along with them, or the menagerie that comprises my household which is a little crazy, but crazy that I love.

So they are nearly gone. All the more reason for not introducing him before you have dated for six months.

The kids are not only OK with the idea of me dating, but very supportive. They have all enthusiastically commented that they would just love for me to be happy.

Of course they are and they sound like great children. But they do not have the judgement of an adult and neither should they be expected to. Remember too, that they are watching and will imitate your relationship behavior.

The reason why Dr Harley suggests the 30 dates is not just about finding 'the one'. It is also about approaching dating with the right mentality. Dating is hard but it gets easier with practice. Fresh out of a marriage, we tend to come to the relationship game with too much of a buyer's mentality. It is really important to start as a freeloader and then become a renter. Freeloader to renter should not happen until the sixth month and more serious conversations are expected. Migrating from renter to buyer should not happen till marriage.

Remember that your feelings about this person are an addiction, no different from the addiction of a wayward (except that you are obviously perfectly entitled to have these feelings). Let me ask you this; how much time have you spent as a freeloader in this relationship?

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
B
B
How old are his children? What is the reason he says he's estranged from his children?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Why does he say he divorced? How old are his children?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by living_well
Let me ask you this; how much time have you spent as a freeloader in this relationship?

About 2 weeks.

We had 1 to 2 hour conversations each evening, multiple substantive emails each day, and had spent 2 full days and an evening together before I realized that he was very special, and the contrast between his strengths where Steubenville's weaknesses became glaringly (and wonderfully) apparent.

At that point I started to fall for him.

After that, we continued our 1 - 2 hour conversations on the phone each day, exchanging emails and continued seeing each other for the full day each Saturday until approximately a month into this he came with me to visit my sister.

During the visit, I saw even more very special aspects of his character. Both my sister and BIL came to like him very much. He showed a lot of wisdom and grace in how he handled situations.

He is a very deeply believing Christian, evident not only by the way he conducts himself but also by his ready ability to get very deep into Biblical concepts and knowledge. He clearly spends a substantive amount of time studying the Scriptures. Now I know a lot of frauds do, too...so this is just one of several indicators that I have been observing about his character.

The overwhelming message I'm getting from everyone is that yes, this is going too fast. I appreciate your advice and will defer any decisions until I have known him for 6 months, and even then, will come back to this thread with an update and any concerns first.

I really value the wise counsel of experienced voices for this decision. I know that I'm the least objective person in this conversation, and I appreciate everyone chiming in with more objectivity.

L
L
The overwhelming message I'm getting from everyone is that yes, this is going too fast. I appreciate your advice and will defer any decisions until I have known him for 6 months, and even then, will come back to this thread with an update and any concerns first.

Yup too fast and I suggest slowing down the contacts to maybe once a week or so. That will help.

And until you are completely satisfied that you understand how he became estranged from his own children, guard your heart. You do know how unusual this is don't you?

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
Why does he say he divorced? How old are his children?

His children are the same ages as mine.

His divorce is for the emotional abandonment/abuse from his wife who was unwilling to change or sincerely engage in the marriage. Yes, I know that I need to keep my eyes wide open with respect to his perspective and verify it.

There's this old phrase "takes one to know one", and having been married to an abusive husband the several things he has recounted could have been a page out of my own marriage. But I am certainly staying aware until the veracity of his account is confirmed.

B
B
His divorce is for the emotional abandonment/abuse from his wife who was unwilling to change or sincerely engage in the marriage. Yes, I know that I need to keep my eyes wide open with respect to his perspective and verify it.

He filed?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by living_well

Yup too fast and I suggest slowing down the contacts to maybe once a week or so. That will help.

And until you are completely satisfied that you understand how he became estranged from his own children, guard your heart. You do know how unusual this is don't you?

Thank you.

Yes I do know it is unusual, which is why I have my eyes open. Part of his wife's abuse included saying derogatory things to their children about him. Additionally she taught his kids to disrespect him; for example when he asked the children to do chores she would interject for him to do it himself.

It looks like he is breaking through to a daughter incrementally and I may be able to meet her soon. I feel that will help me verify his perspective on that.

S
OP Offline
S

He filed?

Yes. He realized that to continue on as things were would only hurt his children more.

B
B

He filed?

Yes. He realized that to continue on as things were would only hurt his children more.

Then how do you reconcile this with your faith? You said you two shared the same faith and that your church would not accept your divorce to Steubenville if you had filed so you wanted him to file. New guy now has an unacceptable D if that is the case and a remarriage will not be accepted.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

I
I
I'm a wee bit concerned that he may have cast himself as a knight in shining armour. Not totally, just something to bear in mind while assessing.

Men who are looking to profit from unhappy situations are just so common. However it is also totally normal for a nice guy to sympathise with a bad situation.

Personally, I wouldn't have confided serious problems in someone this early on. I think one of the best tests is not to show blood, lest you attract sharks. Of course that doesn't mean he is one.

I would shore up boundaries around guys you don't know well and who are still married. I don't say it's wrong to be open with people but holding back just makes it easier to see ahead, you know?

I think you will be able to tell with close watching. I'm just concerned that this friendship has snuck up on you both, which is maybe a boundaries issue, or a targeting but one you can easily identify if so and tweak.

Why does your H have any kind of access to your home? You need stregnth and peace in order to be ready to date.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/09/14 04:54 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
L
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Personally, I wouldn't have confided serious problems in someone this early on. I think one of the best tests is not to show blood, lest you attract sharks. Of course that doesn't mean he is one.

We need to have a dedicated thread for Indie Specials. This is so wonderful and so true :-)

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S

He filed?

Then how do you reconcile this with your faith? You said you two shared the same faith and that your church would not accept your divorce to Steubenville if you had filed so you wanted him to file. New guy now has an unacceptable D if that is the case and a remarriage will not be accepted.

You are awesome, Black Raven. That was way back in another thread. Impressive!

One day when I was wrestling in prayer about my marriage about 2.5 years ago, I felt very firmly that God finally, after 20+ years of praying about what to do with my failing marriage, revealed a text for me to apply to my situation. It was in Isaiah 28 where God instructed the Israelites that they had made a covenant with death - that the bed would not be long enough or the covers wide enough to ever find comfort - and that they were to take a stick and beat it out. Within the limitations of the filter of my faith, I didn't know how to do that, so did nothing.

Well, things only got worse and I sought help from MB here where everyone told me to separate from Stuebenville. This was a shock to my system - particularly as I associated separation with divorce, something I thought I could not initiate. Well, things only got worse and my health started to crash from stress. Still I knew God wanted me to fix my problem; still I didn't know how other than to follow the MB forum advice. (those threads were deleted prior to Steubenville coming to the board). So, after a bad situation, i asked Steubenville to separate for 6 months while he worked on his anger and we dated & spent UA time working on our marriage. This did not go well.

Enter the thread that you were reading titled "A difficult conversation".

I was able to endure until Steubenville left and filed. However, I always thought about what God meant with the text, and how I could have done that. I knew He meant for me to get out - but how? Clearly God didn't mean for someone to stay in a marriage that would drive them to the grave with stress. It was a mystery but I lost my curiosity about it since it no longer applied.

Well, enter the "new man" into my life. Same situation as me, but he didn't get the fluke (the other person to file). This drove me to a lot of soul searching. Clearly it was very personally hurtful for him to hear that I didn't think he was eligible to pursue me (or anyone) because he didn't get the fluke. He didn't become offended but he was very taken aback with hurt. His very beautiful, calm and careful composure through POJA'ing a topic so personal and devastating to him was what caught my attention that he was a very special person.

I had to admit to myself that God shows more grace than my viewpoint allowed, and that God was willing to show that grace to me but I wouldn't take it. In searching the Scriptures and researching Christian research on the topic, and in aligning them with my experiences as well as what I am certain was God's instruction to me, I came to realize that my viewpoint was too narrow, and narrower than the viewpoint of God himself.

I came to understand the references throughout the Bible of how to separate yourself from an angry person and to protect yourself did not say "unless that person is your spouse". I came to understand that the woman's submission to the husband was not unconditional, and was not to be offered at harm to herself. I came to understand at a deeper level a lot of things.

In a way I think God introduced me to this relationship to close the loop of education that He had started with me but I had dropped.

So, the short story is, this forced me to face my own convictions and realize they were too narrow.

And in the process, I started falling in love with the beauty and tenderness inside this man's heart.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/09/14 05:45 PM.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by indiegirl
I'm a wee bit concerned that he may have cast himself as a knight in shining armour. Not totally, just something to bear in mind while assessing.

Men who are looking to profit from unhappy situations are just so common. However it is also totally normal for a nice guy to sympathise with a bad situation.

I would shore up boundaries around guys you don't know well and who are still married. I don't say it's wrong to be open with people but holding back just makes it easier to see ahead, you know?

I think you will be able to tell with close watching. I'm just concerned that this friendship has snuck up on you both, which is maybe a boundaries issue, or a targeting but one you can easily identify if so and tweak.

Why does your H have any kind of access to your home? You need stregnth and peace in order to be ready to date.

Thank you, Indie. My sense is that both of our feelings became sincerely and genuinely carried away too quickly. I think a 6 month coasting period will help prove that out.

My oldest son, DDIL and DGD2 live with me. Sometimes Steubenville comes to visit them, which I truly didn't mind. I'm out from under his control, I was able to release all of my bitterness and resentment towards him and it really didn't matter if he hung out in my house to be with the kids or not (that just gave me more time with them too!).

However, recently I've started to want more distance so I don't need to be self conscious about him arriving unexpectedly and I'm in my PJs, or the day I caught him going through my mail, and now certainly this Thanksgiving incident after which I asked DS23 and DDIL to not invite him over anymore. Also, since he has realized I'm dating someone he has kept more distance from my home (and stopped going to church with us - we used to pick him up at a park and ride on the way).

Now that this has evolved, I've realized that I am happier with more distance from him and want to keep it that way.

The "new man" is not interested in having Steubenville hang out there, and other than a pre-arranged doing Christmas with the kids together this year so neither of us had to miss it (which the "new man" has said would be OK with him this once since it was already set up - BUT that Steubenville better not disrespect anyone in my home), so Steubenville's visits will become a thing of the past.

In light of what happened with my DD15 over Thanksgiving, I'm not sure I should have Steubenville over for Christmas anyway, especially if they are not reconciled.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/09/14 06:22 PM.

N
N
Sunny, thanks for posting this, I totally have all the same questions for my own situations, and they have been answered, but it really helps hearing the same things again. I put off my wedding to my first post-divorce boyfriend to the 2 year mark, and learned some things at a year and a half that I would not have known otherwise.

And then in retrospect we had a serious value clash from the beginning. I am a very involved parent, and my ex boyfriend hadn't seen his son in years. He told me he had gone to court to fight it, but that was actually pretty far from the truth and there was a lot of evidence for that that I was overlooking because of that chemical thing. The disparity between the picture he painted and what the facts were, the little facts that we knew, were so drastic that my mom stopped letting him come over. Still, with all this discord, I didn't see through it until after we broke up.

Things are going great with my current boyfriend, and at 6 months. We were talking future plans, and he talked about getting married a year in. But I know, if this is the man that God intends for my partner, then a two year wait will only bring more clarity. "For God is not a God of confusion but of peace." 1 Corinthians 14:33

We do have a few members who got married quickly, and are very happy. So I think it's okay to look at this as a yellow Slow flag instead of a red Stop one.

You are so soon out of your divorce, and I would have liked to see you go through the holidays without a partner, to experience that, to see God's grace, comfort and protection whether you have a partner or not. But maybe you already had that experience from the past.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation