Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by NotSoAngry
From what I gather, saying mean things is a LB (duh), saying nice things is a LB (no more thank your)

No, keep saying nice things. But find something nice to say to her besides thanking her for cleaning the kitchen. Maybe what you are thanking her for is not something that she wants to feel appreciated for right now. I would suspect that she'd like to hear what you appreciate her for besides housework.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
OP Offline
N
One last question�

How can we possibly have any UA time?

Nearly every word out of her mouth, just the way she sits, is a LB to me, and clearly vice versa for her.

And, sadly, I am not exagerrating.

I get that we are in a toxic, fragile place. How are we to be near each other at all?

N
OP Offline
N
Perhaps.

I am the one that usually cleans the kitchen (or the kids). That is why I said thanks.

M
M
One last question�

How can we possibly have any UA time?

Nearly every word out of her mouth, just the way she sits, is a LB to me, and clearly vice versa for her.

And, sadly, I am not exagerrating.

I get that we are in a toxic, fragile place. How are we to be near each other at all?

UA time is probably not going to be successful until demands, disrespectful judgments, and angry outbursts are eliminated. But continue to schedule fifteen hours per week together to be alone and try anyway. Eventually you will be able to make it work.

The one thing I would add is to not demand UA time from your wife. UA time is mainly something that wives need more than husbands. If your demands, disrespectful judgments, and angry outbursts make UA time unpleasant enough for her, she won't be able to get the good that she needs from it, and she may have to suspend it for awhile. As long as she is willing, continue to schedule the time and make the attempt. But work very hard to avoid demands, disrespectful judgments, and angry outbursts. That needs to be priority number one for now.

We struggled with UA time for a long time, and the reason was our continued demands, disrespectful judgments, and angry outbursts.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Perhaps.

I am the one that usually cleans the kitchen (or the kids). That is why I said thanks.

There's no need to beat yourself up over it. It makes perfect sense to say. But she didn't like it at the moment.

Be sure to note on this week's worksheet that the way she complained about it was a love buster.

In the future when she does a domestic support task that you usually do, she may feel better about you thanking her. Or she may not - she may never like that. For now, look for other positive things to say to her.

N
OP Offline
N
Alas,

I am the one feeling unwilling because of her AO, DJ, etc�I am very much not demanding it. And, sadly, would like to avoid it at all costs.

As I am sure she is, as well.

M
M
Alas,

I am the one feeling unwilling because of her AO, DJ, etc�I am very much not demanding it. And, sadly, would like to avoid it at all costs.

As I am sure she is, as well.

Unwilling to what? Clean the kitchen?

Cleaning the kitchen is probably a job she appreciates you doing, and it would probably be a good idea to keep doing it to show your care for her, if you can. If you have to stop, and she feels like now she has to do it, she may resent doing the job, and that may make her resent you thanking her for it.

Talking this over with my wife Prisca just now, who used to get upset with me for thanking her, she commented that when she did something that she felt she HAD to do, if I thanked her for it, it really rubbed her the wrong way. That may be what is happening here - suddenly deciding not to clean the kitchen left her feeling in the lurch, and thanking her for doing a task she felt was dumped on her may have rubbed her the wrong way.

Don't beat yourself up over it, but consider doing everything you can to make love bank deposits and avoid withdrawing them. Do what you can do to care for and help your wife and be a partner with her, and if there's something you can't do or don't feel like doing at the moment, be sure not to make it out to be her fault. Least said, soonest mended.

N
OP Offline
N
No..sorry for the misunderstanding. Guess I should figure out how to quote others.

I am the one unwilling to have any UA time because of her AO, DJ, etc. I would just assume never be any where near her at this point.

M
M
It makes sense that you would feel that way at this stage. I'm pretty sure Dr. Harley and Kim will encourage you to continue to schedule time for undivided attention and make the attempt.

Last edited by markos; 03/12/15 01:01 PM.

M
M
Hey, NotSoAngry,

Apparently your username is wrong. Quit telling your wife to leave you - if you are unhappy, you leave. Quit calling your wife a liar - if you have a different perspective, you are welcome to come post it.

Contact Dr. Harley and get this situation straightened out!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 883 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation