Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
M
Originally Posted by EnglishJames
Thanks. So, assuming I can go for 6 months, does that mean going for that long even if she keeps refusing to leave work?

Nonono, the limit is entirely dependent upon your mental and physical health. You would consider the affair ACTIVE and proceed accordingly.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by apples123
in Surviving an Affair, Dr. Harley mentions a one month deadline to leave the job. You could always email him and ask for specific advice.

Apples, the one month deadline only applies to EXPOSURE. The BS can tell the WS that he will give her one month to leave the job and if she has not left at that time, he will expose it. But that is only afforded to WS's who have AGREED to leave the job.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
From Dr Harley's book, Surviving an Affair - pg 71,

"While I unhesitatingly recommend exposing the affair to friends, family, clergy, children and the lover's spouse, I'm not so quick to suggest exposing it to an employer. That's because such exposure could have unintended legal and economic consequences. For example, the affair might constitute grounds for a sexual harassment claim by the unfaithful spouse's lover. Or it might trigger the outright firing of the spouse, making it far more difficult for them to find another job. So in those cases I usually advise the betrayed spouse to warn the unfaithful spouse he or she will expose the affair to the employer in a month if the unfaithful spouse is still working there, giving him or her time to make a graceful exit from the job to another. Even if a new job cannot be found in a month, I recommend waiting no longer to inform the employer, unless the unfaithful spouse has already resigned."

Exposure 101

A
A
The problem though is he started posting 5 days ago and didn't do things in the order recommended in Surviving An Affair. He also seems to have only mentioned her leaving her job on Thursday. Maybe he did it earlier but didn't mention it. Since he went out of order, I would recommend he ask Dr. Harley.

Although, the VAR is proof of contact so Dr. Harley may recommend a more urgent need to leave the job. But I've also heard him recommend a gentle insistence for men in Plan A.

A
A
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
in Surviving an Affair, Dr. Harley mentions a one month deadline to leave the job. You could always email him and ask for specific advice.

Apples, the one month deadline only applies to EXPOSURE. The BS can tell the WS that he will give her one month to leave the job and if she has not left at that time, he will expose it. But that is only afforded to WS's who have AGREED to leave the job.

But it sounds as if she is agreeing to leave but wants time to find a new job. I'm uncertain how Dr. Harley would answer as far as the timeliness in which this WW should leave her job.

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

But it sounds as if she is agreeing to leave but wants time to find a new job. I'm uncertain how Dr. Harley would answer as far as the timeliness in which this WW should leave her job.

That quote has nothing to do with the timeline of Plan B, though, that is my point. It only refers to EXPOSURE.

Dr Harley would answer that he should go into Plan B in 6 months if she doesn't end her affair based on how he feels.

Exposure 101

M
M
The problem though is he started posting 5 days ago and didn't do things in the order recommended in Surviving An Affair. He also seems to have only mentioned her leaving her job on Thursday. Maybe he did it earlier but didn't mention it. Since he went out of order, I would recommend he ask Dr. Harley. [quote]

Ask him what?? I am confused about] what you mean.

[quote]Although, the VAR is proof of contact so Dr. Harley may recommend a more urgent need to leave the job. But I've also heard him recommend a gentle insistence for men in Plan A.

I am not sure what you mean. I know what Dr Harley says and don't understand.

Exposure 101

A
A
He could ask Dr. Harley what time line to give her to quit her job.

A
A
She needs to leave the job-This is not in question.

M
M
He could ask Dr. Harley what time line to give her to quit her job.

WHY? He can't give her a timeline because he can't force her to leave her job so I am not sure where you are going with this. When a spouse won't end her affair, the BS cannot give her spouse a "timeline" to force the spouse to end the affair.

Exposure 101

M
M
She needs to leave the job-This is not in question.

How do you suggest he force her leave?

Exposure 101

T
T
Sorry but quoting wikipedia about what a general counsel is is just silly. The general counsel is a very senior position

So sorry to not be quoting because I do not need Wikipedia to tell me that he is not the CEO, Board of Directors, or, the Head of Personnel.

All large corporations have websites and contact info. You do not need to know these people personally. Just find out how to contact them.

T
T
Sorry for bombarding the thread. So as I said I suspected the affair was continuing, and so I continued the snooping. I thought that the exposure would cause contact and so put a VAR in the car. And yes, it caused lots of contact.

The exposure did have an effect. I have told her why I am doing it ie it is no longer secret, but I have not gone any further than that. Their discussion focussed a lot on this ie they think it is bulls**t. But equally they could not come up with any other explanation other than I must be lashing out. In particular, whilst I know the trickle effect is frowned on here, it impacted their conversation because there were comments such as at least he didn't disclose to X (as an aside I cannot quite hear who X was but will try some audio software to remove car noise). But the next day when work was exposed, it did cause much more of a reaction. She was out of the office and it seems he spent the day running around talking to people about it. One possible downside is that he thinks it is a good thing it is now out in the open, although that may be him trying to counter the actual intention.

Anyway the main purpose of this post is to address the main issue from the recording.

He said he has been trying to convince her to call it a day with me for 2 months now, and she has not even got close to doing so. As part of trying to meet her needs, we went out for a day on Saturday without kids. We went shopping, had drinks and dinner and we reminisced about when things were good between us and why we fell in love in the first place. It was a good day. I believe her when she says she also enjoyed it. She said it had helped in moving me from the "like box" back to the"love box".

The day before, according to the recording, she had met her parents following my exposure to them. It seems that the outcome of that was she needs to just make a decision and tell me. They also do not agree with the idea of leaving her work without a job to go to as they had issues in their marriage about her mother giving up her career for the kids and her dad's job. It appeared that the likely outcome was that she would opt to tell me that it is over - the exposure being blamed as the trigger because "that is not like me".

She did not tell me. On Sunday, after our day out we had another chat about what our options are. I said there are 3: she leaves him (and that means her job), we become one of those couples where I turn a blind eye but we do not separate or we call it a day. I immediately discounted the second one because I am not going to do that. So it leaves 2 options. She said she does not want a divorce - the idea makes her sad. She also said that she thinks a trial separation would not work because she thinks we would run back to each other in no time at all. But she refuses to leave work immediately - she gave the same reasons mentioned before and tried to buy some time until she has a new job. So we are in a vicious circle.

It seems to me there is something there to salvage from this mess, but she will not do what I require to exorcise the affair. So:

- I will tell my children. We all know why I don't want to tell them. I think they are too young to understand especially the younger one (4yrs 9months). And I think there is a risk that I am blamed by them for telling them. But deep down the reason I have not told them is that I worry/expect it may trigger her to make a decision to leave.

- should I confront her about the recording?

- is this a position from which we can even move to Plan A or should I test her response above (ie she would run back to me quickly) by moving out and cutting direct contact? It makes me so sad to even consider writing that, but I acknowledge that this may be the only possible solution from here

Age appropriate exposure.

When moms and dads get married they don't go on dates with other people. Well mom has a BF (insert OM name) and is going out on dates with the OM.

What mom is doing is known as having an affair. Mom's behavior hurts dad very much.

B
B
Listen to these radio clips of Dr. Harley.

Exposing to Children

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

E
OP Offline
E
OK, so children have been told. For what it is worth, the 4 year old had no clue what I was saying. The 7 year old did and is very sad. I told them that mummy loves another man from work and that it is causing lots of pain but that both mummy and daddy love them both very much. I hope this turns out to be the right thing to do because I feel awful.

On the wife front, she came home again last night and she said all the people she has now spoken to tell her she needs to make a decision to put both of us out of this misery. She nearly did but couldn't do it. She talked about a separation where she would sleep in another bed. As I walked away I told her I love her and that I am there for her if she meets my condition of not seeing him. Se tried the other bed but after 20 minutes she came back and gave me a huge hug and kiss.

It seems we are moving to the stage where she will make a "decision" in the next day or so. Assuming the worst, what do I do then? Should I accept the idea of living in the same house but different beds on the basis that I can still use that time to work on Plan A, or is that the end for Plan A?

Also, do I tell my wife that I told the kids before she finds out herself tonight? I did take a video so she could see/hear what I said, but the iphone lost the audio.

T
T
Telling a 4 yo that mom loves OM is confusing for to a 4 yo moms love is good. Mom loves me that is good. So if mom loves........ you gave your 4 yo the tools to justify mom loving the OM.

Now 4 year olds know about boyfriends and girlfriends. If you had told her that mom has a boyfriend and is going out on dates with him and how married people (moms and dads) do not have BF/GF she would of been given the tools to realize what mom is doing is bad.

Also by refusing to identify the OM identity when the children meet the OM they will no know he is the one that destroyed their family.

Just on the news yesterday, mom's BF beat up her 2 yo daughter, broke bones in all of her limbs.

E
OP Offline
E
The actual conversation went. Mummy loves someone from her work called X. She is having what is called an affair. Affairs cause lots of pain and suffering etc.

T
T
The actual conversation went. Mummy loves someone from her work called X. She is having what is called an affair. Affairs cause lots of pain and suffering etc.

Is English your second language?

Do you not see the difference in what I have written and what you have said?

4 year olds know the concept of love, moms love is good, so mom loving someone must be good. They do not have the tools to grasp the word affair for there is no reference point for her mind to grasp.

Telling her that moms and dads do not have BF/GF and go on dates with them. Is a concept they can understand. That mom goes on dates with her BF is wrong and it hurts dad.

N
N
My mother cheated on my father and left him for the OM. I would have appreciated my father telling me what was going on. He did not. I don't hold any negative feelings towards my dad, but he could have protected me better. You did the right thing, EJ.

ETA: I was seven, and my brother was five.

Last edited by nmwb77; 10/13/15 08:47 AM.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
M
M
On the wife front, she came home again last night and she said all the people she has now spoken to tell her she needs to make a decision to put both of us out of this misery. She nearly did but couldn't do it. She talked about a separation where she would sleep in another bed. As I walked away I told her I love her and that I am there for her if she meets my condition of not seeing him. Se tried the other bed but after 20 minutes she came back and gave me a huge hug and kiss.

Let her know that a separation is when one of you moves out. Sleeping in another room is not a "separation." You should not go along with this ruse, because a pretend separation means she moves into the guest room, announces she is "separated" and then carries on her affair in the open. You need to remind her that you are not "separated" and that you are married until divorced.

It seems we are moving to the stage where she will make a "decision" in the next day or so. Assuming the worst, what do I do then? Should I accept the idea of living in the same house but different beds on the basis that I can still use that time to work on Plan A, or is that the end for Plan A?

Just let her know this will lead to divorce if she doesn't end her affair by leaving that job. Tell her you want to have a great marriage with her, but that can't happen if the OM is still in your lives.

Also, do I tell my wife that I told the kids before she finds out herself tonight? I did take a video so she could see/hear what I said, but the iphone lost the audio.

Let her find out on her own. Good job in telling the kids! Some 4 year olds understand and others don't.

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 194 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation