Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2871050 11/30/15 11:11 AM
S
OP Offline
S
My husband and I really struggle with joint agreement. I have very strong feelings on what I like and don't like and for the first half of our marriage I did a lot of sacrificing (which obviously wasn't healthy for us). We have been trying for years to live joint agreement but my husband is the one who feels resentful now because much of what he wants I don't and now I am firm in expressing how I feel. My question is what do you do if you really are a picky person who doesn't want to own much and your spouse loves to collect things? Is there something I need to change in my attitude or does the policy of joint agreement mean we just own less stuff?

M
M
The Policy of Joint Agreement is a framework for reaching mutually enthusiastic agreements. It is not intended to result in one spouse sacrificing, either by putting up with something or doing without something. The default condition of doing nothing is never to be regarded as a final resolution, even (and maybe especially) when doing nothing is the goal position of one of the two spouses. In the particular issue you are having, we do not have a solution for you. The solution lies with you and your husband. What we can tell you is that as long as one of the two of you is not enthusiastic about the handling of the issue, then you still have more work to do. Find a mutually agreeable resolution. Don't just give up trying.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
A
A
Most people get stuck at IDea 1 and IDea 2, aka my idea and your idea. You likely need more ideas. Dr. Harley instructs us to brainstorm with abandon. Any idea is worth examining. A good exercise is for each of you to take 5 minutes to write down 5 ideas. Then take some time to discuss. Keep searching and brainstorming until you find one you both can enthusiastically agree on.

S
OP Offline
S
Where we get stuck is he won't accept any ideas that don't involve him owning what he wants. He believes I need to not make a big deal out of things and feels I'm not being logical. We have brainstormed but it always comes back to that he feels my not wanting to own something is not logical and therefore too difficult to work with.

A
A
Then you are still in brainstorm mode.

I'm curious. Is he making purchases against your wishes?

A
A
Respectful persuasion is allowed. But trying to force you to use his logic is disrespectful. Just because something appears logical to him does not mean that it must do so to you. This is why we encourage people to state their objections in terms of feelings, not logic. It is impossible to argue someone doesn't feel what they feel. "I don't feel comfortable with this purchase."

Last edited by apples123; 11/30/15 01:03 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
He has gotten much better about that, but that's part of his frustration because now he's stuck until we agree. Part of the problem is that he feels if we don't reach joint agreement before a sale is over than we have been wasteful

S
S
Originally Posted by superpojaman
Where we get stuck is he won't accept any ideas that don't involve him owning what he wants. He believes I need to not make a big deal out of things and feels I'm not being logical. We have brainstormed but it always comes back to that he feels my not wanting to own something is not logical and therefore too difficult to work with.
I'm going to suggest two things:

First is that you create a user name for yourself, and post again under that. You and your husband should not share accounts.

Second is that you ask your H to post here on this subject, since he has posted here before. Incidentally, that is the reason for posting under separate names. If you both post at any time, how will we know whom we are talking to?

I want your H to post, because from your description, he is breaking the rules about negotiating and POJA. It's really hard for one spouse to get the other, rule-breaking spouse to use MB the way it is meant to be used, but if he comes here, we can smack him around the head a bit and make things easier.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
He has gotten much better about that, but that's part of his frustration because now he's stuck until we agree. Part of the problem is that he feels if we don't reach joint agreement before a sale is over than we have been wasteful
He is not looking for POJA if he says this; he is looking for you to agree, full stop. He is looking for you to agree to buy something even though you don't want to buy it.

If he had the mindset that he wold never want you to do anything that makes you unhappy, then he could never make the argument about being wasteful, because the argument would be illogical. It isn't wasteful to let something go that you do not want to buy. It is hurtful for him to pressurise you into buying something that you don't want. It's actually wasteful for him to buy it.

"POJA" does not mean "pressurise your spouse until they agree with something you REALLY REALLY want". POJA does not mean "Im going to keep going until you agree". POJA does not mean "I'm going to be angry with you if you stop me from buying something I really want to own".

POJA is a way of showing extraordinary care and protection of your spouse, so that you never do anything, or make your spouse do anything, that they do not want. It isn't a power of veto; it is, instead, the only way to ensure that one spouse does not feel resentment and unhappiness at the other spouse's actions. Sulking, arguing, pressurising and using other unpleasant tactics until he gets his way will make your husband feel happy for now, with his purchases, but he is making his spouse unhappy in the process. That is not going to get him a happy marriage.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
because now he's stuck until we agree.
You do not have to agree to buy the things he wants - ever. He is not stuck until you agree to buy them. The use of 'stuck...until" in this context implies that you are holding something up that needs to happen, but that is not so. These purchases DO NOT need to happen.

If something positively needs to be done, then a couple is stuck until they agree on what to do. We had a couple here recently who were fighting about what to feed the kids each evening. A decision needed to be made, and, using POJA properly, entering into the "stuck" position, with hungry kids needing to eat and go to bed, was a wonderful way of concentrating their minds on finding a solution. "Doing nothing" was such an unpleasant place to be, that finding an agreement to "do something" was very compelling.

Similarly, we've had couples unable to agree about major family events, where missing these would have been sad for both of them. Being stuck was not a long-term solution. Doing nothing was horrible - they needed to find agreement.

However, buying collectable items is not something that needs to be done at all. If you do not like collectables in your home, then not buying them isn't "doing nothing" and leaving you in the "stuck" position. Rather, it falls under the category of something that is off the table. Buying collectables (or the particular collectables under consideration) is repellant to you, so you must not do it. If you've thought about this, and know how you feel - which is that you don't like collectables in your home - then that subject is CLOSED. There is no being stuck "until" you agree. You have not agreed, and that is the end of it.

The "until" in POJA is not "until one agrees to what the other wants".

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
My question is what do you do if you really are a picky person who doesn't want to own much and your spouse loves to collect things? Is there something I need to change in my attitude or does the policy of joint agreement mean we just own less stuff?
There never anything that one spouse needs to change in her attitude to what they like and do not like. NEVER.

Having read through the threads that your husband started, I'm beginning to think that he has been using POJA to make selfish demands of you. In those threads, he has been using the term "POJA" to say "I really want to do this, and POJA says that she needs to agree with my request" - which is absolutely horrible, and not at all what Dr Harley intends for POJA to be. He does not intend POJA to be a form of pressure to agree to what one spouse wants - it is, in fact, the polar opposite.

Your H was trying to use POJA when he first came here and posted about his wanting you to wear sexy clothing during sexual activities, when you made it clear that you did not want to do this. He did it again when he posted about wanting you to consider houses by a building company that he really liked, that you did not like. He felt that you needed to change your attitude and become more open-minded - he even suggested that you were refusing to listen to perfectly logical arguments - as if there was an obvious truth to his views and his arguments, and you were being closed-minded and foolish in not changing your mind.

And now it sounds as if he is doing this with the collectables. He sees that the collectables are self-evidently desirable - so that if you don't want them you are wrong - and, with their desirability being so obvious, logic dictates that you are being foolish for not taking them when they are on sale.

His outlook is very troubling. MelodyLane picked up on this before, in both his other threads, and when she began to pin him to the wall about it, he stopped posting.

I think this is bullying. I think he has been abusing POJA and abusing you, with selfish demands. A selfish demand is still a SD even if you do not give in, ever; it is a selfish demand if your H uses punishment, such as sulking or belittling your point of view, after you refuse.

It's a request if your refusal is met with a cheery "that's fine" - and nothing more is said. It is a selfish demand if it is met with punishment. Your H has been punishing you for not allowing your views to be overridden. I think he has actually been very abusive towards you, for years.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M

The problem is you are brainstorming too soon.

Steve Harley told us we had to work through all of the four negotiating guidelines in order and not start on the later ones until the earlier ones are complete.

Here are the four guidelines:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html
Guideline 1: Set ground rules to make negotiation pleasant and safe.
Guideline 2: Identify the problem from both perspectives.
Guideline 3: Brainstorm with abandon.
Guideline 4: Choose the solution that meets the conditions of the Policy of Joint Agreement -- mutual and enthusiastic agreement.

The problem is your husband is not following guideline 1, so you can't go on to guideline 3. Go read that link.

Dr. Harley lists 3 ground rules for guideline 1:
Ground Rule #1:
Try to be pleasant and cheerful throughout negotiations
Ground Rule #2:
Put safety first-do not make demands, show disrespect,
or become angry when you negotiate, even if your spouse
makes demands, shows disrespect, or becomes angry with you
Ground Rule #3:
If you reach an impasse where you do not seem to be
getting anywhere, or if one of you is starting
to make demands, show disrespect, or become angry,
stop negotiating and come back to the issue later.

Your husband is not following ground rule #2. He is showing disrespect. He is engaging in namecalling with words like "make a big deal" and "not logical" and "too difficult to work with." Until your husband takes those ugly Disrespectful Judgment weapons off the table, you can't move forward with negotiations, so he can't collect things you are unenthusiastic about.

You should stand your ground and let him know he has to eliminate the disrespectful judgments if he wants to negotiate with you. He may respond that you are being too difficult. If so, I would suggest that you contact Dr. Harley together on his radio show. If he will not do that and insists on doing what he wants without negotiating an enthusiastic solution with you, I would plan for a separation from him until he becomes willing to eliminate his abuse.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

"wasteful" is a direspectful judgment. Your husband needs to put these weapons away or you can't negotiate.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
OP Offline
S
I agree that he has made negotations not possible with his demands and disrespectful judgements (which are abuse) and that is something we have had to discuss frequently. My purpose in posting today was to find what my abusive behaviors were that were contributing to the conflict.
I do feel confused about joint agreement. The first person who answered this post stated doing nothing was never a final resolution, and others have said if I don't want to own something than that's the final word.
I can stop the negotiation process if I feel it is not safe (which I do) but I would still like to understand better if I am being inappropriate when "do nothing" is what I am happy and comfortable with.
Basically, I can be honest with him but in the end I am only in charge of my actions and I would like to make sure I am being healthy.

M
M
The first person who answered this post stated doing nothing was never a final resolution, and others have said if I don't want to own something than that's the final word.

You don't understand the concept of the POJA. When your spouse objects to a specific thing, you don't keep bringing it up; you find an ALTERNATIVE that makes you both happy. Win/win.

For example, my H hates Mexican food. It would be obnoxious to keep bringing it up so we never discuss Mexican food any more. However, we came up with a list of restaurants that we both love. Do you see how this works?

You seem to be stuck on very black and white decisions, which can only result in win/lose.

In your case, if you don't agree to his collecting, then he should find a hobby that you suits you BOTH. If you don't like the collecting, he needs to give it up.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Also, since do it yourself has not worked for you, I would strongly suggest you ante up the cost of the MB program and get professional help. There is no shame in admitting that you can't do it on your own. POJA is one of the hardest things to learn. My H and I never GOT IT until we reached out to the Harleys and went through their program. You need the online program: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi9000_program3.html

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
I think we would definitely benefit from the program

S
S
My purpose in posting today was to find what my abusive behaviors were that were contributing to the conflict.
I don't see any evidence of any abusive behaviours on your part over this collectables issue. I think you are wondering about this because your husband has told you this. He has said, or implied, that your not agreeing to buy collectable items is abusive, because you are stopping him from doing what he wants to do. That is not true.

I would still like to understand better if I am being inappropriate when "do nothing" is what I am happy and comfortable with.
You are not being in the least inappropriate. I think you have that idea in your head because your husband put it there.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
I think we would definitely benefit from the program

It is worth every penny. When we went through the program, the couple had to fly to another city and check into a hotel and go through his weekend seminar. It was then followed up with a years worth of lessons guided by a MB coach. That course ran around $2000, not including the airfare and hotel.

Now, they have it set up so you can get the same benefits from an online video course followed by lessons by your MB coach for about $1000. You don't have to fly to Orlando or San Francisco to do it. It is half the cost for the same benefit.

My H and I struggled around for about 5 years with no real change just like you. Going through the course changed everything. Our biggest problems were a) my independent behavior and b) our complete failure to negotiate good decisions. We just couldn't get that on our own, but once we were trained, everything changed in our marriage.

I will post a post I made to Dr Harley shortly after we started our POJA lessons. It was a disaster.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Melodylane
Hi Dr. Harley, we are struggling with the implementation of POJA. I knew this would be a problem for me because of my penchant for independent behavior. [I scored a 20 on your test and DH scored a 5] But he seems to continually engage in angry outbursts. Over micky mouse stuff, usually related to money, even though we make a good living and are financially comfortable.

Can you look at this dialogue, which happened in the grocery store today, and tell me how this should be done? This is the 2nd week in a row he has exploded in the grocery store. You had mentioned learning POJA skills in the grocery store and it is not going well!

Mel: does a salad sound good to you for dinner?
DH: that's fine
We approach the produce section and DH picks up a head of lettuce

Mel: I had planned on getting kale, romaine or spinach because there is no nutritional value in lettuce
DH: says nothing
MEL: grabs a bag of shredded romaine lettuce
DH: I REFUSE TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A BAG OF LETTUCE!!! [it is $2.99 whereas the head of lettuce is $.89] PUT IT BACK!!
Mel, horrified and embarrassed at this outburst, tries to ignore him because she can't believe he is acting so disrespectfully over $2.99
DH follows her and says again: "MEL, PUT THAT BACK!! I REFUSE!!"

I take the salad dressing I am carrying, slam it into the cart and say "that's it, I am done" and leave the store. He follows me out to the car with "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you can go back in and get the groceries. I will stay out here and leave you alone."

We had a similar scene the week before where he went into a rage over tortillas. I tossed 2 packages into the cart and then decided to add another. [we had company coming] He pitched a fit and demanded I put back the 3rd package.

Dr. Harley, just so you know, I am 50 years old, have a successful career, and am financially comfortable, and can damn well afford tortillas and romaine lettuce.

Every time he has one of these meltdowns over micky mouse stuff, I can hardly stand him for a week. What do you suggest?

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
MelodyLane: There are two separate issues that should be addressed in your marriage: angry outbursts and independent behavior. The more important of the two is the angry outbursts.

The trigger for your husband's angry outburst is your independent behavior. It's the reason for his angry outburst, but it's no excuse. Your husband should attend anger management training until he can control his anger under all circumstances, regardless of how frustrating they may be to him. My position on this issue is repeated throughout my books, articles and radio show. Anger solves no problems -- they create new ones.

Originally Posted by goldwinger, ML's husband
I realise that there is a problem on how we commicate and I will work on resolving that problem.

I am confused on the angry outburst comment though. At no time did I get angry and have an outburst. My idea of of an outburst is yelling and screaming but I guess that is not the case? Talking to ML though I do see where she thinks it was, so I apologise And will take the approipate actions to amke sure it does not happen again. Honestly looking back, it shouldnt of been that big of deal to me and should of let it pass.

However,It seems to me that whenever I disagree with ML, that her first commment is that I am trying to control her. Same could be said about POJA.....

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
goldwinger59: If your wife's description of your interaction is correct, you had an angry outburst. It was not simply letting her know that you were not enthusiastic about buying the Romaine lettuce. Granted, she may have problems with independent behavior, but if you respond with an angry reaction, it will lead to either a fight or her withdrawal from you. So the first order of business should be to identify your angry reactions, and completely eliminate them from your conversation.

As for her independent behavior, it's an issue that you have probably been trying to iron out for some time. It's tough getting used to asking how a spouse feels about a decision before it's made, particularly when you think you have the right to make unilateral decisions. But your wife wants to get into the habit of using the POJA, and the more you practice it, the better you'll get at it. Just don't get angry with her when she fails the test.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Originally Posted by Melodylane
Hi Dr. Harley, I wanted to give you an update on how well your advice has worked. We are somewhat surprised at how different things are now compared to the past. The changes we have made in IB and AO have had a domino effect and are impacting other emotional needs in a positive way. In the past, my H would blow up about once a month, usually in response to my IB and then I would withdraw. I have to admit I was pretty bad, though.

He has not had an angry outburst since you told him that [I think he was SHOCKED to be told he was having an AO], mostly because he is now relaxed around me. He is relaxed around me because I am not "surprising" him with regular bouts of IB. We POJA most of our spending so he doesn't worry all the time, and he gets to rathole money every month. [he loves to save money]

This change has led to him meeting my need for admiration, affection and my willingness to meet his for RC because he is so much more pleasant to be around.

The key, indeed, was learning to POJA in the grocery store. Our visits to the grocery store today are pleasant and enjoyable. We know pretty much what we want and what is acceptable to the other so there is no longer fireworks. This has expanded to all other areas of our life.

Thanks, Mel

MelodyLane:

While there are no excuses for angry outbursts in marriage, there are reasons, and independent behavior usually tops the list. I'm happy to hear that you're making it easier for your husband to overcome his AOs by avoiding IB. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation