Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
M
Originally Posted by NickS
[

I have a question though regarding that first letter you typed. I'm not entirely sure that the reason she wanted a separation is because she was having an affair. She wasn't at the time when she asked me for one. Once she asked me is when everything started. Of course if her old broken phone worked, I might have been able to find out what was going on leading up to the days and weeks before she asked for a separation.

Oh no, she was having the affair before she asked for the separation. You can rest assured her desire to separate is related to her affair or affairs. Women don't "separate" unless they have someone else lined up.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
NickS Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

I have a question though regarding that first letter you typed. I'm not entirely sure that the reason she wanted a separation is because she was having an affair. She wasn't at the time when she asked me for one. Once she asked me is when everything started. Of course if her old broken phone worked, I might have been able to find out what was going on leading up to the days and weeks before she asked for a separation.

Oh no, she was having the affair before she asked for the separation. You can rest assured her desire to separate is related to her affair or affairs. Women don't "separate" unless they have someone else lined up.

Okay, because there is validation in the way I treated her. I was verbally and emotionally abusive which I why I asked.

Last edited by NickS; 03/03/16 08:45 PM.
M
M
[

Okay, because there is validation in the way I treated her. I was verbally and emotionally abusive which I why I asked.

That is not validation at all. That is her excuse. It takes dynamite and years of persuasion to get an abused woman to leave her husband.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"I've seen so many spouses lie about affairs, that when one spouse wants a separation, my best guess is that he or she is having an affair. I'm right almost every time.

Why would anyone need to be alone to sort things out? It makes much more sense to think that being separated makes it easier to be with their lover. Granted, there are many good reasons for a separation, such as physical or extreme mental abuse. But of all those I've seen separate, most have had lovers in the wings."
here

See, spouses in bad marriages don't want to separate, they desperately try to fix the problem.

Exposure 101

M
M
[

I don't think the guy she's talking to now is the reason why she wanted a separation in the first place, she only started talking to him on Sunday.

Your wife has wanted to separate to have an affair. You have the evidence that she has pursued affairs this whole time so I am puzzled why you would want to split hairs about it?

Exposure 101

N
NickS Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"I've seen so many spouses lie about affairs, that when one spouse wants a separation, my best guess is that he or she is having an affair. I'm right almost every time.

Why would anyone need to be alone to sort things out? It makes much more sense to think that being separated makes it easier to be with their lover. Granted, there are many good reasons for a separation, such as physical or extreme mental abuse. But of all those I've seen separate, most have had lovers in the wings."
here

See, spouses in bad marriages don't want to separate, they desperately try to fix the problem.

Wow, that's an eye opener. The first few years of our marriage was really good. It seemed to all fall apart when our second child was born.

I don't think the guy she's talking to now is the reason why she wanted a separation in the first place, she only started talking to him on Sunday.

Last edited by NickS; 03/03/16 08:52 PM.
M
M
[

He is probably affair #3 or #4 in a long line of guys. But she is still "separating" so she can conduct her affairs without interference.

Exposure 101

N
NickS Offline OP
OP Offline
N
[

He is probably affair #3 or #4 in a long line of guys. But she is still "separating" so she can conduct her affairs without interference.

And your probably right. And it's gotten to the point where she's even admitting to me that their conversation is Sexual in nature. She's not trying to hide it, doesn't sound normal to me. Wouldn't she be trying to hide it?

There has to be underlying reasons why she's been seeking other men though. Wives just don't get into affairs for the heck of it.

What I'm saying is, maybe my emotional and verbal abuse drove her towards tmtowards this.

Last edited by NickS; 03/03/16 08:54 PM.
M
M
Dear friends and family,

I am writing you this message because you are an important person in the lives of xxxx and I. As some of you know, xxxxx has recently asked me for a separation, which has shattered my heart. To my shock, I am saddened to have discovered she has been having affairs. She is having an affair with a old boyfriend named xxxxx xxxxx who resides in xxxxxx and recently met up with another man named JoeDirtbag when she visited her dad in Las Vegas in December 2015. According to her, she had sex with this man several times. She has asked for this separation so she can carry on her affairs without my interference.

She refuses to end the affair. I want our marriage to recover from this affair. If you have any influence on my babe, please do what you can to get her to stop this dangerous affair. I want to stay married, but the affair must end.

As our friends and family, I am asking that you use your influence with xxxx to persuade her to end her affair and try to work on our marriage. Our marriage can be salvaged if she would only end the affair. Please support her in doing the right thing. Please support our marriage.

I would so appreciate your support and prayers.

Warmest regards,

Exposure 101

M
M
[
There has to be underlying reasons why she's been seeking other men though. Wives just don't get into affairs for the heck of it.

The reason your wife gets into affairs is because she is seeking them. When people SEEK something they tend to find it. For example, if I go looking for illegal narcotics I will find them.

Your wife is very different from most cheating spouses in that she didn't "fall into" an affair due to poor boundaries, she went looking for it.

What I'm saying is, maybe my emotional and verbal abuse drove her towards tmtowards this.

No, it did not. You know what "drove her." She drove herself by searching for action.

Exposure 101

M
M
[Wives just don't get into affairs for the heck of it.

YOURS DOES. And I think you know this. She is having affairs just for the heck of it.

Exposure 101

M
M
At the end of the day, it makes no difference WHY she is having affairs and I view this discussion as another distraction. What matters is that you expose them so you will have a CHANCE to save your marriage. You have a very slim chance of saving this and exposure gives you the best hope.

If you were abusive in the past, you may have a chance to change your bad behavior and she will have a chance to change her deplorable behavior. But you must first expose the affairs in the hope that she will stop it.

Exposure 101

L
L
Wow, that's an eye opener. The first few years of our marriage was really good. It seemed to all fall apart when our second child was born.

Don't try to justify things for her. She does a fine job herself. If she has lied to you before, she will lie to you again... You need to open your eyes!

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
D-Day #1 - November 1998 (7 months after wedding)
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
WW filed for D - February 2016
N
NickS Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by LostOnWestCoast

Don't try to justify things for her. She does a fine job herself. If she has lied to you before, she will lie to you again... You need to open your eyes!

I guess I'm just looking for answers as to why she's cheating. I've never heard of anybody doing it for the heck of it before.

L
L
Only she knows the true answer, but she may never tell you.
Why does it matter in your case?

Me-BH, 47
Spouse-WW, 47
Married for 18 years
DS, 11
D-Day #1 - November 1998 (7 months after wedding)
False Recovery, 16 years
D-Day #2 - November 2015
WW filed for D - February 2016
M
M
[

I guess I'm just looking for answers as to why she's cheating. I've never heard of anybody doing it for the heck of it before.

Probably because she enjoys it. But it doesn't matter why. What matters is what you do about it.

Exposure 101

L
L

All serial adulters do it 'for the heck of it'. They get a thrill from the chase.

Very different from normal affairs.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
M
M
The solution is the same regardless of why she cheats. Here is what Dr. Harley says about this:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.
here

Talking about why she cheats is distracting and unnecessary. You should proceed with your exposure and get that completed so you can move onto next steps.

Exposure 101

N
NickS Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Only she knows the true answer, but she may never tell you.
Why does it matter in your case?

Because if this marriage can be saved, I'd like to prevent it from happening again.

I'm probably starting to become redundant at this point, but let me ask the veterans of this place a question.

I know that the advice here is greatly viewed upon and in alot of cases it works. But, considering how young my Wife is and the fact that she has a history of depression and possibly bi-polar, it seems like she has no reasoning or logic abilities. So having said that, how well is this going to work on someone like her? Maybe with somebody that has no mental issues I could understand.

The solution is the same regardless of why she cheats. Here is what Dr. Harley says about this:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.
here

Talking about why she cheats is distracting and unnecessary. You should proceed with your exposure and get that completed so you can move onto next steps.

Well, I could probably name a few conditions that might of caused it. Needs weren't being met. She did tell me herself that the reason why she talked to other men was because she wanted attention and wanted to feel loved by somebody else. Whether that's the truth or not, who knows.

Originally Posted by living_well

All serial adulters do it 'for the heck of it'. They get a thrill from the chase.

Very different from normal affairs.

Well, how do you deal with someone like that? Better yet, can you? Like I said before, the first few years of our marriage was pretty good. Feels like it fell apart in the last part of our 3rd year together.

Last edited by NickS; 03/04/16 11:32 AM.
S
S

She's cheating because (1) it feels good to get her EN's met outside of marriage, (2) she feels entitled to do so and (3) her lifestyle (independent behavior and ability to carry on a SSL - secret second life) allow her to do so.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,024 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation