Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
K Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi folks,<p>I'm noticing a lot of the newer members getting frustrated by lack of responses. I'll introduce myself as one of the "earlier" members---my wife had a very serious affair that we eventually worked through: it was a lot of soul-searching and pain, but we have restored our marriage over great odds, using the MB guidelines (or rules... [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] ).<p>Having said that, the forum wasn't here when I started. I personally think that this was a good thing---there are a lot of voices here, and for someone just beginning to try to make sense of their situation, the cacophony can be pretty deafening. Here's what I would suggest to you:<p>1. Read EVERYTHING in the CONCEPTS section. Take your time, and really digest the material. This is the most amazing web site, because all this info is here FREE.<p>2. Read EVERYTHING (all the letters) in the Q&A section. You learn the theories in CONCEPTS. Here you will see Harley apply these in letters to various clients. You may see some seemingly conflicting advice presented, but on the whole, it is very, very consistent. There are hyperlinks sprinkled throughout these letters (thanks, Steve!). Use them if you need a refresher on concepts like Negotiation in Marriage.<p>3. If you have a serious problem that is jeopardizing your marriage, consider giving the MB counseling center a call for an appointment (888-639-1639). Dr. Harley's children, Steve and Jennifer Harley Chalmers do the counseling. They are terrific counselors---while being empathetic, they will set you on your way to developing the skills and a plan for saving your marriage. You will do work. You will report back in. If you want to whine and complain about how horrible your spouse is for an hour---go find a friend to listen to you. If you want to complain about how bad your spouse is to you in 5 minutes and then discuss strategies that YOU can employ to attempt to recover the marriage---they're the ones to call.<p>They care about your marriage, and will do the best job that they can to help you solve your marital issues. I called them within a week of discovering my wife's affair, and it was the single best decision I've ever made in my life (and I make terrific decisions daily [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] ).<p>4. If you can't afford the counseling---do it anyway. If you REALLY can't afford it, or if your situation isn't so dire, considering expanding your library at the BOOKSTORE. I'd probably encourage you all to by "Falling in Love, Staying in Love", even though I don't have this book---it sounds like a compendium of Lovebusters, Give and Take, and His Needs/Her Needs---all of which work very well together.<p>5. Finally, when you come here to ask questions, try to frame them using MB language. I think this is valuable because you'll end up attracting people who have read (and hopefully understand) the concepts. You may not get agreement---we've had lively debates here concerning "Radical Honesty", "Physical Attractiveness as a legit need", and several others. But typically, the discussion will be centered around what YOU need to be focused on.<p>God bless---and best of luck in the restoration of your marriage!

N
N
Hi K,<p>This is EXCELLENT!<p>May I be so bold as to tack on some thoughts about posting to the boards, after you've worked through the suggestions K has made?<p>Being realistic:<p>People who post here are generally VULNERABLE, HURTING, and NEEDY. Expect some raw emotions. Generally, it is NOT about YOU, even if they snap. Try not to take things personally. (I have learned this the looooooooooong, hard way - I have been both snapped at, and snappy.) <p>Although there are over two dozen boards to chose among in our forum, the really busy boards are -
  • General Questions II (Infidelity)
  • Emotional Needs (Discussions about the EN's in Harley's books and articles)
  • Recovery (from Infidelity)
  • Divorce/Divorcing (after all else has failed)
  • Preg/Child (as a result of infidelity)
<p>There are a LOT of boards to chose from around here. Although it would be great to go to an area that fits your exact situation, sometimes it's the least active place. For example, "Living Together Before Married" may be right where you are, but that board doesn't get a lot of traffic. If you want lots of responses, one of the busier boards may be your answer.<p>Friday's, weekends and holidays are slow. Don't be disappointed if you receive only a few (or no) responses.<p>If you get only one response, reply to that response. Don't get upset and ignore the one person who DID reach out to you. Sometimes that one person will turn into your greatest supporter.<p>Reply to each and every response you get, if even just to say, "Thanks for dropping by"... One of the most hurtful things you can do is ignore someone who has taken the time to respond to you.<p>Look for QUALITY, not QUANTITY. I personally have had some posts that went over the 100 mark, and although it's sometimes *fun* to see those big ones, some really good stuff gets passed over whilst trying to weed through the rest. <p>Use this board as a practice field for how to treat your spouse. Try to see the person (and the pain) behind the words.
<p>I hope this helps some also. K, if you'd like me to remove it and/or begin another thread, I'll be happy to do that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

M
M
Great Job, K. This is the first of many bumps.

W
W
This is very good!! It should really help newcomers. Let's try to keep it bumped to the top daily!<p>new-beginning: I really like what you wrote, also. It goes a long way in explaining the boards. I am a person that reads a lot on here, but can't always post very often, or even follow up on posts I've done. Just being able to understand the way these boards work has helped me!<p>Blessings to you all!

C
C
K,<p>It's great to see your name. Very good information.
New Beginning, also some great points.
I think the board really needed this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

A
A
[img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] This is really great stuff! I think we should all keep bumping it so that "newbies" can find it right away!

K
K
Great post, K...thanks!<p>I'll add one thing. I think often newcomers are confused by the many sections of the board...I know I was, and there were fewer then. <p>Welcome! You've landed in the Emotional Needs area, which deals primarily with learning how you can learn to meet your partner's Emotional Needs. If you know or suspect you are dealing with an active affair, you may want to post affair-related questions in one of the Infidelity-related areas...you'll get more feedback there from folks in similar situations. <p>Again, let me urge you...Do read ALL the links K so kindly highlighted! And, if you are dealing with an affair, be sure to read the Q&A section on How to Survive Infidelity . Check the bookstore for "Surviving An Affair" as well.<p>Good luck--<p>Kathi

N
N
Hello again,<p>Just as an update, K wrote a note on the boards saying it's a-ok to leave my post too... so... leave it, I will. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Bump!

R
R
K et.al.: Thanks for the post. Bumping up... [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

K
K
Bump...

D
D
bump

F
F
movin up! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <p>- Dawn

A
A
^^ up for Morton^^^ [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

K
K
bump...

L
L
Bump, bump, bump all the way

M
M
barrrrrump!<p>
<excuse me> [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

W
W
My turn to bump it up!

O
O
Hello, I am a new member and I did post to a board and someone replied and I didn't respond. The reply was a support message and I just wanted to say that I am sorry for not replying. <p>As was stated emotions are new and raw often. I appreciated the support reply and I want to say that now. Like anything else, learning the ropes is a process and we all make mistakes!!! I love what I am getting here, and I really appreciate the insight into others who have taken the time to share their thoughts.<p>Sometimes it is hard to open up! Thanks to all who have done that and are helping to be voices of reason in the midst of the storm!

D
D
bump bump bump

A
A
bump

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 877 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation