Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
F
OP Offline
F
I do recognize the boys' behavior as a problem. But the reason I say not much issue there is because they have been improving and I haven't had any trouble handling it. I do see the need for a good male role model. My counselor suggested the same. She first asked if they were involved in the youth group at church. The church we all went to together was really small and in a neighboring town. So the boys and I are visiting new churches near us. We like one we've been visiting. So soon the boys will start attending the youth classes to see how that goes.

I think a male counselor is not a bad idea either. It may have more influence than coming from "mom".

And they are in sports. In fact before all this happened my middle son was the one I worried about the most. He started football this year and I've been so impressed with the changes in him. He and I are closer now too. Unfortunately the older one, the angriest, plays soccer at school but hasn't liked his coaches. Working on finding a basketball program for the youngest.

I guess I won't worry about them not wanting to talk about stuff. I just don't want them to hate their dad. That's the part that bothers me.

F
OP Offline
F
ML appreciate the links and quotes. Definitely a good perspective.

M
M
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl5
I guess I won't worry about them not wanting to talk about stuff. I just don't want them to hate their dad. That's the part that bothers me.

Ok, but that is a rational response to an abusive father. If he wants to change that, he can learn to behave like a sane person. If they didnt hate their father after the despicable way he treated you all, I would really be concerned.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me put this another way: talking about their dad will not resolve their issues with him. What will repair that relationship is a radical change in his behavior. Only your husband can control that.

Your sons are right to want to avoid him as he is now. Heck, you want to avoid him and you are an adult!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Great thread!

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,033 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation