Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#328754 01/13/01 10:05 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We are taking a break from each other at<BR>my request. I see some issues that I feel are relationship breakers and do not wish to continue being with him. As of 1/1, we did break up but continued to e-mail through<BR>1/12. It is now official that we are not going to keep in contact until 2/9 to give a 40-day (from 1/1) break from each other. He wants to stay together and sees the changes<BR>that he needs to make and also agrees that there are changes that he needs to make. <P>Although I forgive him for remarks that he has said, I do not want to continue being<BR>with him. It is during the courtship that you date to figure out if you want to marry that person. We are not married and I<BR>made a difficult decision to break it off because I see some very potential toxic problems and needed to break it off.<P>I love him and do forgive him, but from my perspective, I do not want to continue. He (my now ex-fiance) wants to continue and says that he recognizes that he needs to change and has deep respect for Dr. Harley's books and gains much knowledge from them and has given me a verbal commitment that he will change and is now committed to being the best husband he can be for me. He wants to continue the counseling and move toward getting married this summer.<P>I don't trust the changes as we have been through this route several times in the last year. I see that pattern being repeated<BR>several times over now which is now why I just am unable to continue seeing him. I am at a loss as to how to handle this<BR>relationship at this point because of attending the seminar and believing in its concepts. Am I wrong for wanting to take a break? For breaking up totally even after attending the seminar?<P>I do not trust that the changes will be permanent because he is 47. Both of us have been married before. I have an issue of not being able to trust because of past experiences. Should I trust him that he will finally actually change when several attempts in the past have failed? Should I still marry him even if the habits continue? Am I making too much of a deal out of expecting Christian character to abound in his everyday lifestyle? <P>I want to marry someone who IS the person that I want him to be, not marry him for the potential that he has to be--that's the wrong thing to do. I think I need to accept him as he is right now. As I cannot do that at this time, this is why I feel that I need to have a total breakup and stop the cycle from continuing to repeat again and again.<P>So should I continue the relationship again or finally let it go for good?<P>Thanks for your thoughts.<P>

#328755 01/26/01 12:10 AM
A
A
Read the message you shared, count how many times you say I don't etc. (as far as wanting to be with him) You answered your own question.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation