Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
K
"The simple fact is this: anything that does not draw us closer to God takes us away from Him. We have no middle ground, no foggy gray area where we can sin a little without suffering spiritual decline. That is why we must repent and come to Christ daily on submissive knees so that we can prevent our bonfires of testimony from being snuffed out by sin."<P>Joseph B. Wirthlin

I
I
Thank you for your words of wisdom. I needed this today. I have been feeling down since last evening. When I went out to lunch I asked God to lift my spirits and to give me strength to continue this journey we are on. I asked Him to show me and help me learn the lessons He wants me to learn to become the person He wants me to be. When I came back to my desk I found this post. I had been going to the prayer request section and somehow had forgotten this section. I am feeling better now again. I will be printing this out to take home to study more.<BR>Please include me and my family in your prayers.<P>Thank you

H
hw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I was going to post all the wonderful, but painful things the Lord has been showing me in this renewed journey of seeking Him. In answering jungle princess I got carried away and posted it there, and I can't seem to be able to move text like many of you can, so it is there. It has been so exciting, though many tears have flowed with cries out to the Lord. <BR>I pray that you are all finding your path in seeking the Lord, and continue to share the trials and the triumphs for us all to rejoice and encourage you all. We learn from each other.<BR>

H
hw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yesterday, I was reading in the study "Behold Your God" about the the fact that God never changes.<BR> "I the Lord do not change!" (Malachi 3:6)<BR>God alone can be trusted, for nothing can influence or change Him from His nature of total goodness.<BR>I found this very comforting. For me it makes all His other attributes more powerful. Jesus says, "I AM what I AM" again testifying that He can't change.<BR>So therefore His word, His purposes, His promises, His wisdom, His Son, His gifts all remain changeless and have to be fulfilled.<BR>God is the only truly stable object of our faith.<BR>Now look at faith. God is unchangeable and He is faithful. He can be no other way.<BR> <BR> "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God" (Deut 7:8)<P>"If He is faithful, He remains faithful-for He cannot deny Himself" (2Timothy 2:13)<P>Despite what my emotions, feelings, and surrounding circumstances tell me, faith rests in the fact that God is faithful.<P>"But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord, never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is His faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, "therefore I will hope in Him." (Lamentations 3:21-24)<P>Jesus has shown me his faithfulness in many ways: He is sustaining me through this difficult time; He has wiped away my tears and my fears; He has done the impossible; disciplined me with love that has changed me for the better; provided for all my needs; drawn me closer to Him; walked beside me on this path; given me insight; always brings me back to where He is, but meets me where I am; gives me His best for my life; is always there when I call; works through me to do things I never thought I could do; given me back my self esteem; uprooted strongholds I didn't know were having such a negative effect on my life; given me a great love for my h that I can't explain (despite the circumstances); created a desire within me to want to know Him in a deeper way.<P>"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say in all confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6)<P>I found it helpful to recall and write down the ways that Jesus has been faithful to me. Then when doubts drift in, I can better fight them off. Also sharing the ways He has been faithful to each of us allows us to see a larger God then what we might see individually.<BR>In what ways has Jesus been faithful to you?

S
S
A Lesson of 4 Wives<P>A lesson of 4 wives<BR>There was a rich merchant who had 4 wives. He loved the 4th wife the most and<BR>adorned her with rich robes and treated her to delicacies. He took great care of<BR>her and gave her nothing but the best. He also love the 3rd wife very much. He's<BR>very proud of her and always wanted to show off her to his friends. However, the<BR>merchant is always in great fear that she might run away with some other men. He<BR>too, loved his 2nd wife. She's a very considerate person, always patient and in<BR>fact is the merchant confidante. Whenever the merchant faced some problems, he<BR>always turned to his 2nd wife and she would always help him out and tide him<BR>through difficult times. Now, the merchant's 1st wife is a very loyal partner and<BR>has made great contributions in maintaining his wealth and business as well as<BR>taking care of the household.However, the merchant did not love the 1st wife and<BR>although she loved him deeply, he hardly took notice of her.<P>One day, the merchant fell ill. Before long, he knew that he was going to die<BR>soon. He thought of his luxurious life and told himself, "Now I have 4 wives with<BR>me. But when I die, I'll be alone. How lonely I'll be". Thus he asked the 4th<BR>wife, "I loved you most, endowed you with the finest clothing and showered great<BR>care over you. Now that I'm dying, will you follow me and keep me company". "No<BR>way!" replied the 4th wife and she walked away without another word. The answer<BR>cut like a sharp knife right into the merchant's heart. The sad merchant then<BR>asked the 3rd wife,"I love you so much for all my life. Now that I'm dying, will<BR>you follow me and keep company?". "No!" replied the 3rd wife. "Life is so good<BR>over here! I'm going to remarry when you die!". The merchant's heart sank and<BR>turned cold. He then asked the 2nd wife, "I always turned to you for help and<BR>you've always helped me out. Now I need your help again. When I die will you<BR>follow me and keep me company?". "I'm sorry, I can't help you out this time!"<BR>replied the 2nd wife. "At the very most, I can only send you to your grave.". The<BR>answer came like a bolt of thunder and the merchant was devastated. Then a voiced<BR>call out: "I'll leave with you. I'll follow you no matter where you go." The<BR>merchant looked up and there was his 1st wife. She was so skinny, almost like she<BR>suffered from malnutrition. Greatly grieved, the merchant said " I should have<BR>taken much better care of you while I could have!".<P>Actually, we all have 4 wives in our lives... 4th wife is our body. No matter how<BR>much time and effort we lavish in making it look good, it'll leave with us when we<BR>die. Our 3rd wife? Our possessions, status and wealth. When we die, they all go to<BR>others. The 2nd wife is our family and friends. No matter how close they had been<BR>there for us when we're alive, the furthest they can stay by us is up to the<BR>grave. The 1st wife is in fact our spirit, often neglected in our pursuit of<BR>material wealth and sensual pleasure. Guess what? It's actually the onlything<BR>that follows us wherever we go. Perhaps it's good idea to cultivate and strengthen<BR>it now rather than to wait until we're on our deathbed to lament.<P>Came from one of my email lists, but the word picture of the starving, malnutrition appearance of the first wife just struck me that as we seek God and cultivate His characteristics into our lives, we become more beautiful just as Peter described in 1 PE 3:3-4 : Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. [4] Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.<P>As we gather our strength and our peace and our self worth from Him, the confidence we display shines from the inside outwards, being that light that 'causes others to wonder what we have that they don't. It was just a neat thing to meditate on.<P>

S
S
Okay, girlfriends, we have gone through the slump lately of being more self absorbed instead of Father absorbed and we need to get back on track. We are staring at the problem and gazing at the Lord instead of staring at the Lord and gazing at the problem. All things must be balanced against the Word of God.<P>Tarot cards?<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>DT 18:10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, [11] or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. [12] Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.<P>GAL 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; [20] idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions [21] and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course it is wrong. Remember where the battle is and what Satan wants to destroy.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>EPH 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. [11] Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. [12] <B>For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.</B> [13] Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. [14] Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, [15] and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. [16] In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. [17] Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. [18] And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The challenge is to be alert, to be aware of the deceptions that lure us away from the true source of peace and love. How then, being armed with the truth of the Word and the basic tenents of this forum can you strengthen yourself to be the woman God desires for you to be so that your husband does not feel the need to search for alternative options. Remember these phony folks are great listeners and this person obviously heard some sense of discontent in your husband to lean on this "vision from the cards". Take what Satan meant for harm and with the Lord's strength and truth, prepare yourself for the battle for your marriage.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>PR 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart<BR> and lean not on your own understanding;<P> PR 3:6 in all your ways acknowledge him,<BR> and he will make your paths straight.<P> PR 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;<BR> fear the LORD and shun evil.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>For some the attack from the evil will get worse. I can only assume that the evil one is in a panic. And that certainly has been the case in my house, such a bombardment that I have been trying to dodge the bullets rather than face them with the sword of truth, been on the defensive rather than in the offensive field. So many times in the Word, the Lord says: "Do not be afraid or discouraged ----. For the battle is not yours, but God's." <P>I have been so busy trying to maintain that my energy level has been sapped even to the point of not coming here, my discouragement such that I felt not able to give encouragement or exhortation. Forgive me ladies.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>RO 15:1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. [2] Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. [3] For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me."* [4] For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.<P> RO 15:5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, [6] so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The uniqueness of this forum over the others is that though we hurt and are in adversity, we seek a power source greater than ourselves to rip out the bitter roots within our hearts that we might focus on becoming the Women that God intended us to be. As we learn to seek His face and His truths, we realize that we are not doormats and that submission is an active stance rather than a passive one. Something in Job kind of hit me this morning:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>JOB 4:3 Think how you have instructed many,<BR> how you have strengthened feeble hands.<P> JOB 4:4 Your words have supported those who stumbled;<BR> you have strengthened faltering knees.<P> JOB 4:5 But now trouble comes to you, and you are discouraged;<BR> it strikes you, and you are dismayed.<P> JOB 4:6 Should not your piety be your confidence<BR> and your blameless ways your hope?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am not saying per se that my ways are nearly as pious as Job's, but I think the encouragement from this for me, was that He has given me insights to be able to help others get refocused back to our true power source and I have allowed in the past couple of weeks to be dragged off track.<P>And I also realized that even though the friends of Job spoke truthful things such as: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>JOB 5:15 He saves the needy from the sword in their mouth;<BR> he saves them from the clutches of the powerful.<P> JOB 5:16 So the poor have hope,<BR> and injustice shuts its mouth.<P> JOB 5:17 "Blessed is the man whom God corrects;<BR> so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.<P> JOB 5:18 For he wounds, but he also binds up;<BR> he injures, but his hands also heal.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>and we can certainly learn from these truths in asking God to search our hearts for anything that needs to be ripped out or corrected, remembewring that:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>JOB 42:2 "I know that you can do all things;<BR> no plan of yours can be thwarted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>but I am sensing that we continually need to remember what the Lord told Job:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>JOB 38:4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?<BR> Tell me, if you understand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nothing happens to us that the Lord doesn't know about from the beginning. And like Job, we sometimes have a tendency to not realize that the only fear we should have is a healthy one of the Lord, for He is the beginning and the end, the Alpha and Omega. <P>So that means he has chosen this time and place to grow us, to draw those who don't know Him or have never known Him in a personal way or have used Him as a hidden ace up the sleeve in tight spots AFTER they have already used up their own ammunition, sort of the big gun, in the game of life.<P>I am absolutely powerless to change my husband. I can rant and rave and cry unto the Lord like a child throwing a tantrum in the supermarket, but the bottom line is that He will do what He already has planned and His plans will not be thwarted. The bottom line is that it may not be about me at all, but I am only a vessel in the plan.<P>Who knows whose lives will be touched by His hand as I demonstrate trust and faithful commitment to Him and to my husband in spite of my husband's behavior? Who also will recognize the mercy and love of our Lord and become aware of Him, just as He said in Is 45:2-7<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>ISA 45:2 I will go before you<BR> and will level the mountains*;<BR> I will break down gates of bronze<BR> and cut through bars of iron.<P> ISA 45:3 I will give you the treasures of darkness,<BR> riches stored in secret places,<BR> so that you may know that I am the LORD,<BR> the God of Israel, who summons you by name.<P> ISA 45:4 For the sake of Jacob my servant,<BR> of Israel my chosen,<BR> I summon you by name<BR> and bestow on you a title of honor,<BR> though you do not acknowledge me.<P> ISA 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other;<BR> apart from me there is no God.<BR> I will strengthen you,<BR> though you have not acknowledged me,<P> ISA 45:6 so that from the rising of the sun<BR> to the place of its setting<BR> men may know there is none besides me.<BR> I am the LORD, and there is no other.<P> ISA 45:7 I form the light and create darkness,<BR> I bring prosperity and create disaster;<BR> I, the LORD, do all these things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As I continue to march through the mire of life to get to the goal and the hope we have in Christ, perhaps someone will understand the depth of Christ's love for us and finally grasp the fullness of God. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Eph3:16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, [17] so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, [18] may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, [19] and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And then again, perhaps it is all about me and not about my husband and he is the vessel used to grow me, so that I can grasp these verses: <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>EPH 4:14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. [15] Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. [16] From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Okay, so I am back, humbled and repentent, restored through His mercy and grace to go one more day.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>HEB 4:14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. [15] For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. [16] Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HEB 6:7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. [8] But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.<P>Father God, let my life be like that land that produces a useful crop, let me absorb the rain that you allow around me to water my soul, to nourish me in the vast desert of life, to flourish in the sight of adversity, like a cactus blooming in the drought, a single spot of color in the arid drab of neutrality, the sands of life that seep into those parts of us that make us uncomfortable. <BR>As we shake sand from our shoes after an outing at the beach, let me shake of the sand of circumstances around me that keeps me from focusing fully on You and what You would have me learn from these events. <P>And just as Job said in verse 30:18 In his great power God becomes like clothing to me; he binds me like the neck of my garment, bind me to you Father, be as my clothing, covering me as I take steps of faith, that you might be glorified and Your purpose be fulfilled. IJN, Amen.<P><BR>

H
hw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Sue,<P>This was great. It really helped me and met me where I have been and need to go.<P>I too have had a couple of days of trials. The Lord calling me back and into a deeper still relationship with Him. I have been writing down His promises, searching the scriptures. They say there are 600 promises. With my list of 20 so far, I have barely seen all His mightiness. <P>Malachi 3:6 says. The Lord does not change." This really comforts me, because I am reminded that He is there, always has been and always will be. <P>I have also searched the scriptures to see how others and why others have praised the Lord. I love 2 Chronicles 20:21 <P> "After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise Him for the splendor of His holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying: Give thanks to the Lord for his love endures forever."<P>This day let us dedicate to praising the Lord, with all our heats for who He is, His promises and His great gift to save us, so we can stay in relationship with Him.<P>Praise be to our Lord, His love endures for us forever!!<P>Father, stay in each of us this day recalling us into Your presence. Remind us how much You desire to talk and listen to us. Remind us that You alone are able to do all things in our lives and our husbands. Remind us of the splendor of Your holiness. Thank You for seeking us. Thank You, for You are always waiting expectantly for our return to You. I ppraise You for this great love You share with us. In Jesus name, Amen.

S
S
The blessings of mailing lists- Just what I needed today!<P>Spiritual Vitamins A to Z <P>Remember to take your vitamins every day! <P>Anxious? Take Vitamin A. <BR>"All things work together<BR>for good for those who love God, who are called according<BR>to his purpose." (Romans 8:28) <P>Blue? Take Vitamin B. <BR>"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and<BR>all that is within me, bless his holy name." (Psalm 103:1) <P>Crushed? Take Vitamin C. <P>"Cast all your anxiety on him,<BR>because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) <P>Depressed? Take Vitamin D. <BR>"Draw near to God, and he will<BR>draw near to you." (James 4:8) <P>Empty? Take Vitamin E. <BR>"Enter his gates with thanksgiving,<BR>and his courts with praise. Give thanks to him, bless his<BR>name." (Psalm 100:4) <P>Fearful? Take Vitamin F. <BR>"Fear not, for I am with you,<BR>do not be afraid, for I am your God." (Isaiah 41:10) <P>Greedy? Take Vitamin G. <BR>"Give, and it will be given to<BR>you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together,<BR>running over, will be put unto your lap; for the measure<BR>you give will be the measure you get back." (Luke 6:38) <P>Hesitant? Take Vitamin H. <BR>"How beautiful upon the<BR>mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces<BR>peace, who brings good news, who announces salvation,<BR>who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'" (Isaiah 52:7) <P>Insecure? Take Vitamin I. <BR>"I can do all things through<BR>Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) <P>Jittery? Take Vitamin J. <BR>"Jesus Christ is the same<BR>yesterday and today and forever." (Hebrews 13:8) <P><BR>Know nothing? Take Vitamin K. <BR>"Know this that the<BR>Lord is God, it is He that made us and not we ourselves.<BR>(Psalm 100:3) <P>Lonely? Take Vitamin L. <BR>"Lo, I am with you always,<BR>even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20) <P>Mortgaged? Take Vitamin M. <BR>"My grace is sufficient for<BR>you, for power is made perfect in weakness."<BR>(2 Corinthians 12:9) <P>Nervous? Take Vitamin N. <BR>"Never, no never will I leave<BR>you nor forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) <P>Overwhelmed? Take Vitamin O. <BR>"Overcome evil with good."<BR>(Romans 12:21) <P>Perplexed or puzzled? Take Vitamin P. <BR>"Peace I leave<BR>with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you<BR>as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled,<BR>and do not let them be afraid." (John 14:27) <P>Quitting? Take Vitamin Q. <BR>"Quit you like men and<BR>women, be strong." (1 Corinthians 16:13) <P>Restless? Take Vitamin R. <BR>"Rest in the Lord, and<BR>wait patiently for him." (Psalm 37:7) <P>Scared? Take Vitamin S. <BR>"Stay with me, and do not<BR>be afraid; for the one who seeks my life seeks your<BR>life; you will be safe with me." (1 Samuel 22:23) <P>Tired? Take Vitamin T. <BR>"Those who wait for the Lord<BR>shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with<BR>wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary,<BR>they shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31) <P>Uncertain? Take Vitamin U. <BR>"Understand that I am<BR>(the Lord). Before me no god was formed, nor shall<BR>there be any after me." (Isaiah 43:10) <P><BR>Vain? Take Vitamin V. <BR>"Vexed with unclean spirits:<BR>and they were healed every one. (Acts 5:16) <P>Wondering what to do? Take Vitamin W. <BR>"What does the<BR>Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love<BR>kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8) <P>Exhausted? Take Vitamin X. <BR>"Exercise thyself rather<BR>unto godliness." (1 Timothy 4:7) <P>Yearning for hope? Take Vitamin Y. <BR>"Yea, though I walk<BR>through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear<BR>no evil; for you art with me; your rod and your staff,<BR>they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4) <P>Zapped? Take Vitamin Z. <BR>"Zealous for good deeds."<BR>(Titus 2:14)<P>

S
S
Heard a pretty neat thing yesterday in regards to discernment between temptation and resisting the devil, the difference between fleeing and resisting. <P>A temptation is when you hear in your head that whatever has crossed your mind it is only a small thing, that you can rationalize it in light of all the other good things you have done, etc. When you find the focus of your thoughts on this one theme, it becomes temptation and more often idolatry. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>1 Cor. 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.<P> 1CO 10:14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>However, when you hear in your thoughts that God doesn't care if you do this, that you are one person and it doesn't matter, that God couldn't have possibly known how hard it would have been for you, etc. then it becomes Satan lying, going against God's truth and it is at this point that you know you are in a spiritual battle and you need to rebuke and resist the devil.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> JAS 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Jesus gave us good examples in his desert experience with Satan:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>MT 4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. [2] After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. [3] The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."<P> MT 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"<P> MT 4:5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. [6] "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:<P> " `He will command his angels concerning you,<BR> and they will lift you up in their hands,<BR> so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"<P> MT 4:7 Jesus answered him, "It is also written: `Do not put the Lord your God to the test.' "<P> MT 4:8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. [9] "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."<P> MT 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: `Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In the first two examples, Jesus is able to combat the temptation with God's word.<P>Remember Satan twists even God's word to confound us, just as he did with Eve, giving her a yearning to be as powerful as the Lord.<BR>and he is even more bold with Jesus in the last example. Satan is out and out going against God's word, offering what he does not have to give and it is at this point that Jesus resists and rebukes him.<P>Either way, all things must be placed along side the Word for accuracy and truth. Sometimes we hear the small voice that God wouldn't want us to be unhappy, that this isn't the kind of victorious life that He would have for us, suffering as we are, etc.<P>All of these things are truths and yet, also obstacles to the very victorious and happy life that God does desire for us. He does allow for us to be tempted, so that we can chose what is better for us, just as Jesus did. <P>Even Jesus said that we must watch and pray, for the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. (Matt. 26:41)<P>I just like how everything hooks together, renewing the mind, praying without ceasing, (the rapid pause before we open our mouths as we allow our minds to seek the truths of scripture that the Spirit will give us) the promise of peace that surpasses all understanding in the midst of chaos. <P>I would like to learn to say more quickly, <BR>"can I get back to you on that one?" on those instances where I am having so many things thrown at me at once that I have trouble discerning the right response and my mouth gets me into trouble. <P>The temptation that comes to tear down in defense of the attack upon myself. I know this is not of God and I want to draw more in line with the Father in this area. Please pray for me in this area. Thanks.<BR>

S
S
Thanks for the reminder of being too self-absorbed, rather than God-absorbed. Too much looking at the problem and too little looking at GOD. How big is our GOD anyway? That has definitely been my problem as of late. I know it is a very crafty tactic of Satan's.<P>I want to print out this whole thread as well as the Boundaries one (they have just about become books on their own!) and study them. <P>I love this forum the most because of the focus on GOD. That is where the hope is. It is a constant reminder to set our hearts on the things above and keep seeking them - that which is eternal. <P>Is God not able? Has He not said? Is He not the potter and we the clay? Is He not the creator and we His creation? Are not His ways higher than our ways?<P>"For all things are possible with GOD".<P>Hallelujah! "Many are the blessings He bears to those who trust in His ways."<P><p>[This message has been edited by siftedlikewheat (edited September 14, 2000).]

A
A
Ok, I've missed a lot in the past few weeks and have a lot of catching up to do! <P>SueB, as always your posts are great, so insightful. I thank the Lord for giving you wisdom and the ability to write out your thoughts so very well. I'm not sure what I missed about the tarot cards, but I certainly concur with all you said. They are deceptions of the enemy and must be rebuked. <P>I wanted to share a few statements from "The Bondage Breaker". These are from Neil's Steps to Freedom In Christ, called Statements of Truth. I will be reading these each day for reinforcement.<P>"1) I recognize that there is only one true and living god who exists as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is worthy of all honor, praise, and glory as the One who made all things and holds all things together (see Exodus 20:2,3; Colossians 1:16,17).<P>2) I recognize that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, the Word who became flesh and dwelt among us. I believe that He came to destroy the works of the devil, and that He disarmed the rulers and authorities and made a public display of them, having triumphed over them (See John 1:1, 14; Colossians 2:15, 1 John 3:8)<P>3) I believe that God demonstrated His own love for me in that while I was still a sinner, Christ died for me. I believe that He has delilvered me from the domain of darkness and transferred me to His kingdom, and in Him I have redemption, the forgiveness of sins (See Romans 5:8; Colossians 1:13, 14).<P>4) I believe that I am now a child of god and that I am seated with Christ in the heavenlies. I believe that I was saved by the grace of God through faith, and that it was a gift and not a result of any works on my part (See Ephesians 2:6,8,9; 1 John 3:1-3).<P>There are 11 or 12 of these. I will post a couple more each day. I have been so impressed with the writings of Neil Anderson. Each day it seems as though his devotionals are directed right at me!<P>Great is our God and worthy to be praised!<BR>

S
S
A Native American and his friend were in downtown New York City, walking near Times Square in Manhattan. It was during the noon lunch hour and the streets were filled with people. Cars were honking their horns, taxicabs were squealing around corners, sirens were wailing, and the sounds of the city were almost deafening. Suddenly, the Native American said, "I hear a cricket."<P>His friend said, "What? You must be crazy. You couldn't possibly hear a cricket in all of this noise!"<P>"No, I'm sure of it," the Native American said, "I heard a cricket."<P>"That's crazy," said the friend.<P>The Native American listened carefully for a moment, and then walked across the street to a big cement planter where some shrubs were growing. He looked into the bushes, beneath the branches, and sure enough, he located a small cricket. His friend was utterly amazed.<P>"That's incredible," said his friend. "You must have super-human ears!"<P>"No," said the Native American. "My ears are no different from yours. It all depends on what you're listening for."<P>"But that can't be!" said the friend. "I could never hear a cricket in this noise."<P>"Yes, it's true," came the reply. "It depends on what is really important to you. Here, let me show you."<P>He reached into his pocket, pulled out a few coins, and discreetly dropped them on the sidewalk. And then, with the noise of the crowded street<BR>still blaring in their ears, they noticed every head within twenty feet turn and look to see if the money that tinkled on the pavement was theirs.<P>"See what I mean?" asked the Native American. "It all depends on what's important to you."<P>What's important to you? What do you listen for? Are there times that you fail to listen to God or see what God is doing in your life because you are focused on other things that are more important to you?<P>Jesus, said, "For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should<BR>see with their eyes and hear with their ears, lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, so that I should heal them. But blessed are<BR>your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear." (Matt. 13:15-16).<P>Father, amidst of the distractions of the world all around us, may our ears always be open to your voice, and our eyes open to your glory. In<BR>Jesus' name, Amen.<BR>

L
L
Thank you SueB. Lately I've been finding it very difficult to listen for God, feeling that my problems are so pressing that I don't have time to wait around for my prayers to be answered. I know in my mind that expecting my prayers to be answered in the way I <I>want</I> them to answered is not the right way to pray. With bills from June that still haven't been paid, I'm finding it VERY hard to focus on anything else but money. God provides us with what we need, and I seem to have a different definition of that than God. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong, I don't know what it is, and I don't know how to get things right. I tell God that I'm in a dark place and to please shine a light on the pathway out of my predicament. If I'm getting an answer, I can't see it or hear it. It's very frustrating and hard to stay focused.

S
S
The loop of my anger...I am angry that things cannot be above board in my home, that questions are answered with silence or "nothing dear". If nothing were the matter, there would be no tears, no sighs, no pouting. I was accused of pressing maters when he isn't feeling well, so I have made extra effort to be sensitive of this. Guess who is sick and not feeling well every day now, so there can never be any issue discussions. <P>I am challenged to put the pressure back in his lap, asking him what he wants to do about his problem, feelings etc. God has me in a waiting mode and being a task oriented person, this is incredibly hard to do and of course he is giving me lots of opportunity to practice patience. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>PS 6:1 O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger<BR> or discipline me in your wrath.<P> PS 6:2 Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint;<BR> O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.<P> PS 6:3 My soul is in anguish.<BR> How long, O LORD, how long?<P> PS 6:4 Turn, O LORD, and deliver me;<BR> save me because of your unfailing love.<P> PS 13:1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?<BR> How long will you hide your face from me?<P> PS 13:2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts<BR> and every day have sorrow in my heart?<BR> How long will my enemy triumph over me?<P> PS 13:3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.<BR> Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;<P> PS 13:4 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"<BR> and my foes will rejoice when I fall.<P> PS 13:5 But I trust in your unfailing love;<BR> my heart rejoices in your salvation.<P>PS 35:17 O Lord, how long will you look on?<BR> Rescue my life from their ravages,<BR> my precious life from these lions.<P> PS 35:18 I will give you thanks in the great assembly;<BR> among throngs of people I will praise you.<P> PS 89:46 How long, O LORD? Will you hide yourself forever?<BR> How long will your wrath burn like fire?<P> PS 89:47 Remember how fleeting is my life.<BR> For what futility you have created all men!<P> PS 90:13 Relent, O LORD! How long will it be?<BR> Have compassion on your servants.<P>PS 119:84 How long must your servant wait?<BR> When will you punish my persecutors?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Father, you said to Moses, "Is the LORD's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you." Time and again, you have shown your faithfulness to your people and your word is gold and sweetness to the heart. You made us to have fellowship with one another and with you, Father hear my heart and my cry, break down the barriers within my marriage, release the chains of bondage that permeate my husband's mind and emotions that keep us from being one with you. Search my heart and show me what I need to change to be the woman you desire for me to be, the helpmeet that my husband deserves.<P>Help me to understand emotions for you created them and since all you created is good, show me the good from my crying. It doesn't lift anyone up, it doesn't encourage anyone, it doesn't keep my mind from impure thoughts, it isn't edifying me or anyone around me, so what good is it? Take the blinders of my eyes and show me what it is that you want me to learn from this.<P>Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:10-12<BR>IJN, Amen<BR>

T
Taj Offline
T
SueB,<P>First thing I thought of when I read your post was, "Be angry and sin not." That scripture keeps you within God's boundaries.<P>There are alot of ways to deal with anger which would be productive for your marriage but denying it is not one. You are acknowledging your anger yes, but it would seem you are not allowing yourself that emotion.<P>Let that loop of anger go from you to God and back to you......he will only allow it to come back in an acceptable form.<P>Father, help this faithful servant to honor you as she seeks to minister healing in her home. Make this loop of anger productive to the pulling down of strongholds. Give great wisdom and freedom to address the problems of this marriage in a way which would bring wholeness and restoration. Encourage SueB's heart today with an extra special awareness of Your sufficiency. IJN

S
S
But Taj, what do you do with it? What does it mean to sin not? Is it a sin to withdraw from him because I am tired of dodging bullets or snubs? How do you pursue in the midst of that? How do you fake enthusiastic participation to meet his SF need when you are repelled by his behavior and an act of intimacy is about the last thing I want with him. How can you be honest which is what God desires of us, when it is met with such hostility? I can be honest with the Father, but not this person He has chosen for me. How can I honor him if I can't be honest with him? What good does crying do except make me wearier and my face puffy and my nose get plugged up? Is it denial to choose to think in terms of Phillipians 4:4-8, to refuse to think about these things that I feel powerless to change and to dwell in the heavenly places instead and then I am told that I am in denial. Doesn't make sense to me. I cannot change my husband, I cannot change how he thinks or what he values. I find this so confusing.

S
S
Wow, SueB, those are very good questions. I have often had similar questions (different situation), but asking also - "am I being godly" or am I just being a "fool in denial"?<P>It is very confusing when our H's are not open to change and we cannot change them, yet their behavior is destructive to the relationship.<P>I often wondered and even despaired, "why is God not moving in my H's heart", or how can God move in his heart when my H. is not seeking Him and is so good at ignoring problems? <P>The despair does come from the feeling of powerlessness - and that things will never change.<P>This week I have seen some changes (such as an agreement to go to counseling or an ability to see the issues for what they are) that I have waited 18 years for. I am afraid to get too far ahead in my hopes, but still I can't deny these are baby steps forward. Now I struggle with the tiredness of my spirit and "too much water under the bridge" - but still I see small signs of God at work (and not me playing GOD at work). I wonder if my weariness is part of God's intention so I stay out of it for once and don't interfere!<P>How did it come about? I'm not completely sure, but as I became more aware of the real issues, I drew a boundary that was clear - and I stepped out of the "caretaking" role. I let my husband know he has to get help - and that I would no longer be his "teacher, mentor, parent". That there are resources all around us (godly men, books, counseling) and he has to learn to reach out, or we won't have a marriage left. The more he reaches out, the better he feels and the more motivation to keep doing that.<P>I think it is GOD's timing and our own growth and understanding of boundaries all coming together. SueB - just keep doing the next thing that is the right action for you. In His own time God will bring it all together. I just want you to know I understand your discouragement and confusion. I've been there and still am often. God will reward you for your pure heart that seeks after Him.<P>Recently I was thinking it might be encouraging to read about godly women who had difficult marriages. Madame Guyon was one, also Susannah Wesley. It is helpful to see how they endured and GOD sustained them. Abigail in the Bible was another. God is for you, SueB. Be uplifted in your spirit today.<P><p>[This message has been edited by siftedlikewheat (edited September 22, 2000).]

K
K
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>SueB wrote:<P>How do you fake enthusiastic participation to meet his SF need when you are repelled by his behavior and an act of intimacy is about the last thing I want with him. How can you be honest which is what God desires of us, when it is met with such hostility? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You need to be true to yourself. Boundaries make a lot of sense even in sexual issues. You probably know that I have been studying <B>Passionate Marriage</B> lately. The author's prime starting point is that you have to be grounded in yourself first. You must be true to yourself before you can be a good loving partner to your spouse. Defining your boundaries is just the starting place for a relationship and for personal growth, but he takes it very deep in that book.<P>You are responsible to be honest and kind and respectful. Your H is responsible to react to your input in a righteous way. When he chooses not to he jeopardizes the relationship. Stand on your own two feet. Go within and to God for your strength. This marriage may be the watershed in his life, or he may break himself on it and blow the entire opportunity. <P>This has got to hurt you too, because you are growing yourself. We can see it in your postings. As you full well know, you are not what he says you are, you are what God says you are.<P>

S
S
Thank you Taj, Sifted and Karenna for your input and encouragement. I am controlling what I can (cleaning my house) Plan to work in my yard today and continue moving my mulch pile and transplanting plants. I get the sense that God wants me to give up all my dreams, including a marriage as the one I desired, not that He wouldn't give me my desires, but perhaps as HW once mentioned, I have made some kind of idol out of it. <P>I think over and over again that I would never accept this type of behavior from a stranger or an aquaintance, so why am I accepting it from someone who supposedly loves me? Heard a quote from Dolly Parton in a movie she made that said, "Get off the cross, somebody needs the wood" Made me laugh. Jesus has already done the work for me. I can lay my burdens at the foot, but He has already paid the price.<P>Love you gals!

T
Taj Offline
T
SueB,<P>I see my friend "beating" herself up. I see her h continuing in a lifestyle that is very hurtful to the person he is suppose to protect. <P>I have been reading "Boundaries in Marriage" and I just don't see how stuffing your anger by doing tasks or thinking about other things is the answer. Sure, it works temporarily or enough to get you over the hump but what about long term?<P>I know that my way of handling frustration has not always been beneficial, last year I took off in a flurry and almost totally destroyed my marriage. But at least it got his attention...... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>SueB, are you enabling your h to continue as a child and rely on you taking the whole responsibility for the relationship? We've talked enough where I think I understand your situation to a point.......I'm going out on a limb here because I see a godly woman carrying the total burden and in the process becoming weary!<P>I realize you can't make another person do anything but in a marriage the responsibility for wholeness is shared eventually or there just isn't oneness at all.<P>You are such a wise woman and have helped me more then anyone will ever know but you are so hard on yourself and expect so much of yourself......I am concerned that there will eventually come a breaking point.<P>God, protect my friend<P>

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (whwh747474), 473 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation