Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Laura H Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My husband and I have only been married a month. I love him with all my heart. He's my best friend, my soul mate.<P>I have read some of Dr. Harleys books and I get the whole intimacy/conflict/withdrawal scene. With us, my husband unintentionally hurts me and it just builds up. I reach a certain point where I completely withdraw. And no matter what he does, I can't seem to come back to him. I want to, in my head, but when he reaches for me, something inside feels the uncontrollable need to push him away.<P>I don't know how to return from Withdrawl to Intimacy. I don't know what I need from my husband to do it. He is willing to do anything, I just don't know what I need. I love him so much and it kills me to see him try when I feel like I can't respond.<P>Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you have trouble opening up once you reach Withdrawal? How do you find a way to come back?

R
R
Hi Laura,<BR>HMMM...lets see unintentionally hurts you? How? Im quite the sensitive gal myself [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Does he acknowledge the hurt he "unintentionally caused you? Sometimes the pressure of a man being a good provider for his family can get the best of him or so in my case. I'd like to hear whats going on. It is safe here and no one judges anyone.<BR>Welcome Laura! Chin up<BR>ruby <p>[This message has been edited by ruby (edited September 14, 1999).]

L
Laura H Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi Ruby. Thanks for your response.<P>The things my husband does that hurt me aren't things he says. It's more how he treats me. He says he loves me and that I "come first" but it seems like his work, his friends & his family always come first.<P>When he's here, he's loving and affectionate. It just seems like he hardly has time anymore. I guess my feelings get hurt because I feel so unimportant & disregarded. All I want is to feel like I matter to him.<P>He's trying really hard to do well & be successful in his career, and he says that he does that because he is thinking about me and trying to "provide" for me. But all I want is a husband who will love me and be there for me.<P>Maybe I expect to much. I just feel so lonely all the time, and then when he finally has some time for me, I've distanced myself emotionally so much that I can't bring down the walls that have built up.

K
K Offline
K
Laura,<P>A gift that I've been giving as a wedding present is one of Dr. Harley's books---the Four Gifts of Love. You should order this for yourself, and work through it with your husband.<P>The four gifts are the four rules for successful marriages: the rules of Protection (no lovebusters), Care (meet emotional needs), Honesty (complete), and Time (15 hrs/week). The two of you can use this book as a "owners manual" to a great marriage---if you both learn the skills in keeping your marriage alive and healthy, you'll benefit a million times over for the modest effort involved. The two of you need to learn the skills necessary to put aside your instincts (the "Taker" in you) and start treating each other with the love and respect that you both deserve.<P>You're here very early in your marriage. That's great---my wife and I learned all these skills and are prospering in our rebuilt marriage, but only after a terrible affair, a separation, and the birth of a child from that affair. Do your work NOW---and don't go down that path. If you need help with it, Steve Harley here at Marriage Builders is a great coach; he does phone counseling (888-639-1639).

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation