Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#752913 06/19/03 10:35 AM
B
Bumpa Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Not an exceptable alternative to disiplined responcibility.

No single male parent can teach his daughter how to be a woman.

No single female parent can teach her son how to be a man.

No childrin of divorce are likely to teach there children those things that thay have not learned themselves.

#752914 06/19/03 10:50 AM
L
L
“””Not an acceptable alternative to disciplined responsibility.”””

So if a mother is getting beat up night after night her disciplined responsibility is to shut up and take the beatings. And on and on and on...Granted most divorces happen for reasons that are as you say but there are exceptions.

“””No single male parent can teach his daughter how to be a woman.

No single female parent can teach her son how to be a man.”””

There are many homes with in tact families where the girls will not be taught to become woman and the boys to become men. But to say a single parent “can’t” is way off base. In a lot of instances one parent can do a better job than both if they place positive role models of the opposite gender into the children’s lives like Girl/Boy Scout Leaders, Youth Pastors, and so on. And about teaching a daughter to become a woman, on the “physical” level that was left to me. As for as the “emotional” level, we’ll just say that’s a work in progress.

“””No children of divorce are likely to teach there children those things that they have not learned themselves.”””

Again that word no. I could accept almost all your statements as is, if they weren’t so definitive. There are so many exceptions to the rules you imply.

Interesting topics, I'm curious why your views are closed.

Bill

#752915 06/19/03 11:11 AM
M
M
Bumpa - I am wondering why post this???? I mean sometimes there are no alternatives to divorce - if only one person wants the marriage then a marriage it does not make... I have two daughters so I guess I can make it ok as a single mom going with your theory but I would like to think that if I had a son - I would be ok also... I mean what happens if lets say the person raising the children are a widow or a widower??? I mean I believe that a responsible loving parent can raise a child of either sex !!! And children who are raised in a loving home with one parent - I am thinking can also teach their children correct values to survive in a two parent home... OK I guess I am disagreeing with your views......

#752916 06/19/03 11:26 AM
H
H
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by maw64:
<strong>Bumpa - ... I have two daughters so I guess I can make it ok as a single mom going with your theory but I would like to think that if I had a son - I would be ok also... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The question isn't if YOU would be o.k., the question is would your son. Tons of studies suggest, there are exception of course, that he might not be. It is not about you.

I'm a son of divorce, I'm in my late 30's, it still sucks. Sorry, it is just the way it is.

Divorce does damage children, and so does being raised in terrible marriages.

#752917 06/19/03 11:31 AM
E
E
I think it's pretty safe to use the [IGNORE] button on Bumpa. I've read all three of his/her posts and there is no help, no information on his/her story, just opinions being spouted.

#752918 06/19/03 11:39 AM
S
STP Offline
S
A child should experience a mother and a father. That is presisly why I fought for equal time custody vs. full time custody and her having just visitation. I am doing everything I can to provide my family with everything they need, emotionally, education and financial. I could raise my two girls on my own and they would be happy and fine. I feel they should experience their mother even though I don't like her she is still the only mother they will ever have.

#752919 06/19/03 11:42 AM
C
C
No single male parent can teach his daughter how to be a woman.

No single female parent can teach her son how to be a man.

But they can teach their children on what to expect/demand of the opposite sex.

Example: A single father raising a daughter teaches her what she should require from a male partner based on the way he treats women. And vice-versa.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Chris -CA123 ]</small>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (bb1471), 703 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation