Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
P

mel can you be more specific

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
M
M
Originally Posted by calismile
Melody I am a rape victim and find your remark "All you have done here is invite the rapist into your life." more than highly offensive. So please don't compare ow/dh affair to a rape it is FAR apart, very far a part. And by saying ow was a rapist that would mean the dh is a rapist too and that isn't the case.

Yes, I am comparing the OW to a rapist. Just as Dr Harley does. Adultery is WORSE than rape. If your H does not admit what he did was as bad as raping you, then I question his sincerity. Dr Harley uses that very analogy when discussing continued contact between an OP and a BS. radio clip where Dr Harley says tha...your rapist to Thanksgiving dinner"

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"After having counseled thousands of couples with hundreds of marital conflicts, I am completely convinced that a spouse's unfaithfulness is the most painful experience that can be inflicted in marriage. Those I've counseled who have
had the tragic misfortune of having experienced rape, physical abuse, sexual abuse of their children, and infidelity have consistently reported to me that their spouse's unfaithfulness was their very worst experience
. To be convinced of the devastating impact of infidelity, you only need to go through it once.
here

IWe, dh and I, discussed what was desired and wanted in our marriage. We discussed the MB principles and have used many of them. But NC was not a viable option for us. In our situation I have primary contact with ow not dh and it works well for all of us.

Which is always a very bad idea. Like Dr Harley has stated, it is like inviting a rapist to Thanksgiving dinner. He advocates finding an intermediary to handle any communication. NC is always a viable option.

You can say we let terrorist in and all the rest but if that truly be the case the terror was let in by the spouse who swung the door wide open and while having nc does help it does not negate what happened and doesn't neccesarily prevent an affair from happening again. It puts up a boundary from the op but there's a whole big world out there. We just have to pray over our marriages and build each other up instead of tear down. Good luck.

I have no doubt that you do perceive the difference between your H and the OW, otherwise you wouldn't have ensured he is not in contact with her. If you don't understand the threat she presents to your marriage, then you are in grave danger. But I suspect you do.

while having nc does help it does not negate what happened and doesn't neccesarily prevent an affair from happening again. It puts up a boundary from the op but there's a whole big world out there

This sounds to me like your marriage is probably not affair proofed if there is still a whole big world out there that presents a threat to your marriage. You do understand that is a big part of recovery, don't you? Did your H change his lifestyle in order to prevent a repeat affair? What is your protection against that "whole big world?"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by pops
mel can you be more specific

That has a very specific meaning. And since you have been here for as long as me, I have no doubt you know what it means. I am recovered by Marriage Builders standards.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
i am asking you to describe in your own words what that means

me-59 ww-55
my oldest son 37
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
M
M
i am asking you to describe in your own words what that means

pops, how does Dr Harley measure a MB success? That should tell you exactly what I mean.

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
4eva- girl I wasnt trying to be sensitive until the whole rapist comment came into play to be totally honest. I can read just like everyone else and I get why NC can be so benifical to a marriage and an entire families recovery.

Melody- I "invited" all this into my life I guess simply because I felt God was leading us here. And I know not being NC has caused issues in the past. However that is not the case. We often deal with just oc unless it's about scheduling visits etc.

As far as the rape comment he said "some" view it as worse than rape but I guess for me when I think of my rape and I think of this,the rape hurts much more.

I said their is a big wide world because there is, fact.

My husband has sincerely apologized and has been consistantly working on keep our marriage in a good place for some time now. We both are working to meet each others needs and fill our love banks as oppose of deplete it with lb.

And my protection from the world is believing and praying that God cover us as individuals and as a couple to help us grow where needed and to prune areas we need to work on. That and take steps to constantly work on our marriage.

What do you guys to to protect yourselves from the world?

M
M
What do you guys to to protect yourselves from the world?

What we do is change the environment that led to the affair, as Marriage Builders subscribes. For example, opposite sex friendships are eliminated, transparency created, no overnight travel, passwords and bank accounts opened and shared, etc. Our WS's open up their lives so that the secret second life that led to the affair is not possible. While nothing is 100% guaranteed, it is much harder to carry on an affair when your life is an open book. And that is part and parcel of recovery. Harley covers it in this article:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.
Requirements for Recovery

The next part is to create a romantic relationship using these concepts.

Exposure 101

P
P
thanks anyway mel,

i wasn't asking for dr harley's words i was asking for yours. what they meant to you

i know his words as i remember reading HN/HN back in the mid 80's and the info on this site 10 years ago

i will drop the question

me-59 ww-55
my oldest son 37
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
M
M
thanks anyway mel,

i wasn't asking for dr harley's words i was asking for yours. what they meant to you

i know his words as i remember reading HN/HN back in the mid 80's and the info on this site 10 years ago

i will drop the question

What that means to me is what I have already told you: I am recovered according to MB standards. Those ARE my words.

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by TheRoad
..Yes a BH can love the OC and accept it but it's not like being able to forget that the WW had a PA for 99% of the time.

Having a OC in your home is the same as files of the PA on your hard drive and looking at them every day. For 18 years, and then some.

Having to face the OC everyday is one thing because the OC is innocent. A whole nother thing with the OM/OW.

I know we have moved on in this but I wanted to say something about OC because my wife from my first marriage came back pregnant when she had an affair at 20.

I knew it probably was not mine, but the fact that it was an innocent child weighed more on me and the effect it would make upon W and current DS3 we had was more of a concern. The questions and embarrassment and the obvious difference because of the race also would be something to deal with. We were very young, (me 21 and wife 20), and this was an innocent child like any other being brought into the world.

After the child was born, because of the difference in skin color, the doctor said he was going to treat him for jaundice the next day if it did not clear up. I went right to the doctors office and told him what was up and explained why my W was so embarrassed and how she wanted to believe it could be hidden from everybody but how that his color was normal. Surprised I was when the Doctor treated me coldly after that when he had been the family Doctor for years, but no skin off my nose the baby was the important one.

My wife did not bond with the boy, and I am sure that between post partum depression and everything else it overwhelmed her. I was still/allready reeling from the emotional effects of the affair but wanted to do the right thing. Adoption was suggested, we gave him up for adoption, and I have never forgave myself for allowing him to to be seperated from his mother. It did not matter that my Mom and me after work were the only ones who showed him affection and that FWW was a mess, that would have changed in time if we really cared.

Giving him up for adoption which was supposed to help keep us together had the opposite effect. It was another wedge of inability to forgive and appreciate that prescious innocent life and even our own frialty that eventually made it seem the smart thing to do to seperate. I sent her away with my son to figure things out. Justified sure she had no reason really to stray, I was a good hard working and faithful H. It took me years to figure out that running away was the mistake not staying and sticking. Thats what I figured out but had a new wife and more children and first W had moved on by that time.

Strange thing tho, all the forgiveness that I should have shown first W, and my justification for leaving her because of her affair, I gave in spades to the second W who was in way worse shape and cheated much more than the first.

But where does that leave the innocent child? I am sure that in time like I have heard from so many people in the world I would have become who would be his father to him as I got to care and know him. The sperm donor would have to rise above himself at some point to be a real father anyways. I consider giving him up for adoption a great mistake and injustice to this boy, and also backward blamed my FWW at the time for her inability to rise above and love her son reguardless of the circumstances. She left me and the son we allready had to play and create another son, and come back to a marrige and say she got raped, but yet where,,where does that leave the little baby..

It takes more than making a child to be a father, or a mother, or a parent. Thank God for those who love those innocent little lives and rise above to raise OCs, or adopt, they are truly the parents.

C
C
Oh BTW, I wasn't making the rape comment based on any posts, my WW at the time later admitted that she made that up and she had slept with some guy that she worked with after she left.

Just wanted to be clear.

C
OP Offline
C
Melody -we do much of the same. Like you guys we both are very transparent. I think it helps a lot.

ConstantProcess- I am sorry you are hurting and that you were hurt in both marriage relationships. But you seemed to have learned from them. I hope if you are still married to your second wife that things are in a better place now.

P
P
CP

thanks so much for sharing your story

interesting you said that the adoption was another wedge in your marriage

my w and i also discussed adoption and i gave up on that path b/c i felt it would have done exactly that to us

me-59 ww-55
my oldest son 37
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
C
C
..ConstantProcess- I am sorry you are hurting and that you were hurt in both marriage relationships. But you seemed to have learned from them. I hope if you are still married to your second wife that things are in a better place now.

Accually I am widowed now, and my W is in that better place. But I came here 6 months after her death to see how I let such an awful thing happen to this beautiful woman who at one time wanted to serve God and have a happy marriage with me and the children for the rest of her life.

One of the things I learned through my experience, through our false recovery in 1990, and from reading the basic concepts and the stories of so many good people here also, is not to put your marriage in jeopardy and run it on a tightrope. That at any time even things you thought you had conquered and were in the past could raise up thier ugly head, and that marriage, like people, was fragile.

So I agree with Mel that it should be protected. as a matter of fact that was the very words my W used in the beginning of recovery in 90-91, when I had been gone for two years and she had done the work and realized how important it was. My story is still out of my grasp of making it short but the principles here on MB were followed almost to a tee. I say almost because if I had been here and listened to my gut I would have insisted on AA for my wife as part of reconciliation. Something BTW DR H has great experience in, addictions. He wont even counsel someone for marriage if there is substance abuse or a history of it unless they have recieved treatment. He ran clinics for years, he knows about peoples brain chemistry.

So almost fully complying does not cut it, and she eventually relapsed into substance abuse and well, yeah, I thought she would NEVER fall to THAT again!

Don't fool yourself into thinking that this woman was a dummy, she knew everything except how to help herself, she helped many people see things they never understood before. She was a teacher of people and a warrior and could be tough and stubborn and a force to be reckoned with. But in this was a blindness also she would/could not deal with. Well I will go on and on.. but she died after relapse and falling into very heavy drugs from cancer which was contracted from smoking and useing respitory system depressing drugs.

The following depression I felt because I was her husband and wanted to find out what happened brought me here 6 mo after her death because I needed some answers. I did a search on google and found DR H.

So the advice about not pushing the human limits and valuing you marraige above all is good advice I completly agree with.

Thank you for your kind wishes and my three children are doing well all things considered.

CP

thanks so much for sharing your story

interesting you said that the adoption was another wedge in your marriage

my w and i also discussed adoption and i gave up on that path b/c i felt it would have done exactly that to us

Yes Pops I realize I was young when I made that decision, and I did not do what I really believed in either in my better nature. My Pastor had said those very words, "You know it takes more than making a child to be a father". But I had been away from the church for years and until I met my second wife at 26 I did not even start to listen to God again. Honestly I feel God is the one true Father, and all good fathers model or plagurize him as a source, whether conscious of it or not.

But you had the wisdom to understand forgivness and grace was absolutly nessesary in your marriage, and that if you couldn't give that protection to a little child, it would probably be lost on each other also.

I had allready turned down what would have been a promising career in the AF,(They wanted me because my scores were high MrRollieEyes), because my W had decided to secretly not take the pill and get pregnant against my wishes,(I wanted to wait cause we were going in the service together and I knew we needed financial stability), and i did have the wisdom to know at that age if i went in and left her home it would probably tear us apart. Maybe I was still frustrated because we were still behind the 8-ball even though I worked and did well and then she submarined me with an affair..

I don't know but by that time I was totally lost, and young and afraid. Like many things in life hindsight is 20-20, and we can understand what happened, but we still have to deal with every consequence to our actions regardless of our intentions at the time.

Counsel, cool headed and humble thinking, supportive friends and reality, and oh yeah lets not forget faith in God and his guidance when we are in doubt of what is right with dealing with his children of any age. You just can't be too careful when it comes to those things.

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
T
T
Originally Posted by writer1
[quote=TheRoad]
I don't care much what anonymous people on an internet forum think about me anymore, which is why I don't come here very often these days. But it does bother me when someone who has never lived an experience proclaims to know how it feels for those who have.

I do not dislike you. I enjoy reading your responses and felt that it has been help to others.

T
T
4eva

the answer to where i think my marriage would be had we gone nc

the answer is i truly feel we would be 9 years down the D road now

the om being responsible was such a huge issue to me at that time it would have been the deal breaker had we not gone the way we did

What if you would of/could of convinced yourself that NC was best and you did not want OM money/CS, that it would of been best to have NC from back then?

I'm not going to search and look for your post where you said that NC would of been better now looking back.

Was that a moment of weakness, frustration?

P
P
road yeah sure, maybe "if". i will never know that. but what i do know is that at "that" time where my head was at, right or wrong nc was a deal breaker for "me"

yes you are right i have said since that time that nc would have been better due to the rough time my w was going thru at the time. "but" like i said at "that" time it was a deal breaker for me

i agree with it now also.

"but"

i do support and will encourage those who have found themselves with some form of c due to the oc situation. as an example - cali, ff, delean, and want should her om work his way into there life.

i will not write her off

and yes if op has some form of visitation the ideal solution is to have a go between to handle all that "but" again as in my case we have no one who is willing to take on that responsibility for 18 years and the court would not appoint one.

Last edited by pops; 05/31/11 07:45 AM.

me-59 ww-55
my oldest son 37
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
M
M
A reminder that the purpose of this forum is to support posters in protecting and restoring their marriages using Marriage Builders concepts. It is not for the promotion of personal philosophies!

Please keep that in mind when posting. Thank you.

mbsurvivor11@gmail.com
F
F
Hi cali, nice to see you again!

Folks one of our best examples of a recovered M with C is our beloved Delean-de (Kimmy) and she came on her very recently advocating NC. Kimmy has custody of the two OC as well and she still cannot stomach the slightest bit of C with the OW.

We are in C for over two years now. My life will never be the same. My H could not walk away from the OC due to his own guilt. He often wishes he had though. Having the OP in your life is unhealthy for everyone but especially for the health of the M.

I was traumatized over and over by false recoveries because my H gave into the OW's demands of not having the evil BW in her precious OC's life. Two years into C and she realizes how wrong she was. She goes on with her life happily having it all. Her OC, free weekends to do what she pleases and CS. We get less money, more responsibility and the constant reminder of the A.

I am not saying there are not rewarding aspects of having C. I love OC and we do make a small difference in his life but it is NOT WORTH the continued C with the person who for 3 plus years did everything she could to destroy me and my family.

I am a strong advocate of Dr. H's principles and NC.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
W
W
Originally Posted by MBsurvivor
A reminder to posters that the purpose of our forum is to help posters understand the Marriage Builders program and not personal philosophies. If you can help in that respect we welcome your posts. If not, we ask that you refrain from posting.

This is a forum that we intend to watch more closely to ensure that Marriage Builders concepts are closely adhered to.

If you have any questions, please email myself or Justuss, the board administrator. I would ask that you all get back to our board's purpose, which is Marriage Builders.

I think it's interesting that this warning was written in response to me, when the last thing I wrote on this topic last night was a direct quote from Dr. Harley himself. Please explain why I am being singled out here for a warning for posting quotes from Dr. Harley himself?

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation