Marriage Builders
Posted By: loveone Mother in law - 01/27/03 09:59 PM
How do you cope with the drama and severity of mother in law issues?
Posted By: hanora Re: Mother in law - 01/28/03 04:45 AM
Mothers-in-law are people too. Most of us have one, many are in line to be one. There doesn't have to be drama and severity. I don't know for sure but I think it all collapses most of the time when one side doesn't play.

Ask for recipes, hey she's been cooking a long time.

Ask for advice about laundry or something - you don't have to take it if she isn't watching.

If there is something you absolutely don't care about, ask her what to do with it, then do it.

Ask questions about her early marriage years, how they met, where they lived, what your wife/husband was like as a baby or child.
Posted By: loveone Re: Mother in law - 02/03/03 07:25 PM
Thanks for the enlightment. All of your suggestions were great. However, she does not respond very well because she's threatened that I have taken her son. In actuality, I'd love for us to get along.
Posted By: r96018 Re: Mother in law - 03/15/03 07:17 AM
Have mother in law problems, too. She and husband fight constantly in front of my wife and me. My wife is too timid to tell them to quit.

My wife gets mad because I don't want to be around them
Posted By: kam6318 Re: Mother in law - 03/22/03 01:14 PM
Have you read this MB Column?

Mother-in-Law
Posted By: Julie Ann Re: Mother in law - 04/12/03 09:39 PM
MIL problems - don't even bother if your partner is emotionally immature and still 'attached' - my 1 yr marriage has just broken up because 'I drove "mummy" away', and then she died, because I drove her away.
Oh well, add it to the list......!
Next relationship will be with someone with no living relatives - after dealing with this dysfunctional family.
Posted By: ablocke Re: Mother in law - 12/19/06 05:44 PM
kam6318 - On a side note, would you please share how to add a link to a response, as your "Mother in Law" link?

Thanks, I've been wondering for a long time!
Posted By: notashoped Re: Mother in law - 01/23/07 04:45 PM
They are a big issue in my marriage and why I am here. My wife loathes my mother so much it seethes out of her. I had hoped basically no or very limited contact would ease things but it hasn't much and we are approaching two years since the events that angered her so much (and I contributed to and have begged for forgivness for) happened. She spends hours a day on another web site attacking her and joking with others about me - her clueless husband - and "bonding" with others that have similar issues. It has polluted our marriage to a point we both have questioned whether we want to continue. At this time I think we want to stay together but I don't know if I can accept/live with my wife being so fiercly angry about this the rest of my life. It has really tainted our relationship and IMO ability to communicate. I am sorry about it and would change it if I could. I am at a loss anymore about what to do but the stress I feel sometimes over it feels overwhelming at times. Hopefully it is repairable but at times I wonder if that is just a hopeful dream more than a possibility of actually happening. I don't know what else to do - I have pushed my mom (and brothers) basically out of our lives over this. I/we rarely talk anymore. I am trying to convince my wife I'm dedicated to her but somehow that action doesn't seem to be making much difference - or at least not enough.
Posted By: stellaf Re: Mother in law - 04/04/09 01:58 PM
Hi,

Its good and I really like it. Thank you so much for making me laugh.

Stella

alcoholism treatment
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums