Marriage Builders
Posted By: qetuo Why did I have an affair - 03/07/07 07:07 PM
Recovery is at a point I need to get to the bottom of "Why I had an affair". Could someone point me in the direction of info. on this topic. I want to be sure to cover all the bases, as completely as possible, for both DH and myself. Very important to both of us I really get a good understanding of my thoughts at the time and changes I must make to NEVER be fogged out again. I believe this may even help me more than him!!
Posted By: faithful follower Re: Why did I have an affair - 03/07/07 07:34 PM
I just bumped a thread for you by kyellow4 called "own your own affair". Good place for you to start.
Posted By: chrisner Re: Why did I have an affair - 03/07/07 07:40 PM
In addition to the other advice already given, I would advise you find the book “Not Just Friends” by the late Dr Shirley Glass. This should be very helpful.

I wish my WW and I had read it a year ago and life could well be very different.
Posted By: Hoping68 Re: Why did I have an affair - 03/07/07 07:57 PM
Kudos to you for sticking your neck out and asking for help!
Posted By: ohmy_marie Re: Why did I have an affair - 03/08/07 01:36 AM
Yes, if able, read Shirley Glass's book, "Not Just Friends."

If you are hesitant to buy the book (or check it out at the library), this link may help:

Shirley Glass on Affairs

~Marie
Posted By: Suzet* Re: Why did I have an affair - 03/08/07 07:04 AM
Qetuo,

Here is a good thread on the topic that might help you and your H get further insight and understanding in your behavior at the time.

This thread is also good and explains all the steps of betrayal & unfaithfulness that lead up towards final betrayal & adultery. As explained by the author on this thread, adultery is usually the culminating act of a dozen or more tiny steps of unfaithfulness. Each step in itself does not seem that serious or much beyond the previous step. Satan draws a person into adultery one tiny step at a time. And he does this over time so that our conscience is gradually seared. This makes it easier to take "just one more step" thinking such a tiny step won't hurt us.

This thread gives insight into emotional infidelity and provides guidelines on how to help affair-proof & protect your marriage and keep temptations at “arms length” by keeping up healthy boundaries with the opposite sex.
© Marriage Builders® Forums