Marriage Builders
Posted By: cpickel In Laws - 01/26/01 08:59 PM
My inlaws are 3000 miles away. We have begun to become closer over the past 2 years or so. My mother in law and I write...etc. To the best of my knowledge they do not know anything...although I do have my suspicions. How have any of you delt with the inlaw issue. I don't see them...did you write them a good bye letter...I have a niece and nephew I love dearly and have shyed away from ...lately also 3000 miles away. Do I let them know if I do get in contact why we are really divorcing?<P>Thoughts? Advice?
Posted By: Sisyphus Re: In Laws - 01/26/01 09:05 PM
If you're close, I would suggest you explain yourself. Try to be as neutral as possible in your tone, language, and analysis of what has gone wrong. <P>The letter shouldn't be long, but it should make clear that you feel compelled to do what you do--and that should be just about the <I>only</I> time you express your feelings.<P>Don't expect your in-laws to understand or support you--I didn't have much contact with mine toward the end, but to their credit I think they pretty much played devil's advocate with my XW's expressed intentions (despite the fact that we weren't terribly close). I certainly haven't heard from them since the divorce.
Posted By: Keridwen7 Re: In Laws - 01/26/01 09:59 PM
cpickel,<P>I have maintained a very warm relationship with my ex-inlaws - this despite the fact that my ex-H has already remarried OW. My inlaws invited me over for Xmas Eve. Me and my MIL talk on the phone almost every day. Sometimes I go out to dinner with them or to a movie. They were a large part of my life for 17 years and I consider them my friends and still my family. <P>If you no longer want to continue a relationship with them, then I would be as honest as possible. After all the [censored] hit the fan between me and my ex, I stayed away from them a while for my own emotional protection. But I talked to them and explained what I was doing. I told them it was too hard for me at that time. Since, I have healed remarkably and we are now very close again. Give yourself some time. I don't think I would sever all contact permanently. Maybe you could just cool it with them for a while if it's too painful.<P><P>------------------<BR>Blessed be.<BR>****************<BR>Keridwen<P>Keridwen_7@yahoo.com
Posted By: cpickel Re: In Laws - 01/26/01 10:22 PM
Thanks, I really am bummed about losing contact with the kids. I worked hard to be in their lives always being the away aunt. I know that my nephew prays for me every night [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Divorce really does tear up the family though. Not just between me and me STBX but my family is just upset and soon his family will know ...<P>I think that I will keep in limited contact with them all. I am uncertain as to if it will work out long term. But I feel that they have a right to know that our divorce is not because we just grew apart...<P>thanks for the advice.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums