Marriage Builders
Posted By: pantera Vasectomy and kids - 03/30/07 06:25 PM
Hello I'm a newbie here. My husband and I got married 4 months ago. Before we got married we talked about having kids. He didn't want to, but it's very important to me to have a child. So we agreed that we would try, even though he has had a vasectomy in the past.
I have 2 questions: 1st - he keeps avoiding the subject and every time anyone make a comment about kids he says kind of kidding ''we'll just get a dog instead''. I plan on waiting to ask him to start trying to have kids after we're married for a year. Is it too soon?
2nd - what are our options, I mean, he has had a vasectomy, I know it can be reversed, but besides that - adoption is not an option unless we try everything and it fails.
Any advice is appreciated.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: Vasectomy and kids - 03/30/07 07:53 PM
It appears he is less than thrilled about having children. I doubt he will have his vasectomy reversal.

You probably made a mistake marrying a man after his having a vasectomy, and a man who does not particularly want kids ~~~> meanwhile, you want kids very much.

If no vasectomy reversal within 6 months, do a marriage reversal

Pep
Posted By: rs0522 Re: Vasectomy and kids - 03/30/07 08:57 PM
The odds of a successful reversal of a vasectomy are not good - something like 20%.

No offense, but since your husband stated rather clearly that he didn't want children, and had a vasectomy, what exactly did you think he meant by "trying" to have children?

Even adoption does not strike me as a really good option.

Your husband doesn't want children, and also doesn't want to get into an argument with you. This is unfortunate, but I think you might want to consider what your future will be like without children.

Or, possibly, without your husband.

Regards,
rs0522
Posted By: Tbar Re: Vasectomy and kids - 04/10/07 01:25 AM
Hi Pantera,

I know what you are going through. My DH also had a vasectomy when we married, but did get it reversed. Unfortunately it failed and now we are at the point of IVF or donor sperm. He has 2 kids from a previous marriage, but I don't have any. We are at the point of me wanting a child desperatly, and he could go without. It's extremely hurtful and emotional!!!
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums