Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2342737 03/25/10 02:35 PM
P
OP Offline
P
PICK one or more choices:

because you may have more than one child, children who have different bio-parents

1. YOU ARE MARRIED TO YOUR CHILD'S OTHER PARENT

2. YOU HAVE DIVORCED YOUR CHILD'S OTHER PARENT

3. YOU NEVER MARRIED YOUR CHILD'S OTHER PARENT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do you think your child's views about MARRIAGE has been (will be) effected by your choice to

1. MARRY

2. DIVORCE

3. NEVER MARRY

.... your child's other parent?

I am NOT doing research or writing a book.
I am curious how much other people think about these things, and, I think these questions are generally helpful for each and every one of us to think about.

M
M

1. I AM MARRIED TO MY CHILD'S OTHER PARENT

How do I think my child's views about MARRIAGE has been (will be) effected by your choice to

1. MARRY

I expect my children will grow to view marriage as something honorable, respectable, and very pleasurable and desirable for both partners.

Now, do this survey again, and ask if we are in love with our child's parent whom we are married to (answer: not currently, but have been in the past and will be again), and ask how I expect my children will be expected by my decision to pursue nauseatingly wonderful head over heels puppy dog love with my child's parent whom I am married to. Because I expect my children's attitudes toward marriage will be impacted spectacularly by that!!!

Last edited by markos; 03/25/10 02:43 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Originally Posted by Pepperband

Yes

How do you think your child's views about MARRIAGE has been (will be) effected by your choice to

1. MARRY

My children see marriage as a good thing and understand what is the "ideal" order of things. They are small so of course their views may change. Some of the things my children see and comment on, can be good or bad depending on how you look at it but at least it gives way for discussion. If we ever divorced...I have no idea how they would view it.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
OP Offline
P

1. MARRY

Our 2 children had a very unfortunate start in life.
Bio Mom heroin addict.
Bio-dad(s) either drug addict or felon (or both) ... we're not sure.

Growing up in a married household has effected each child differently !

A. Eldest child tries to get a "split decision" between us, as much as possible.
He says he will "never get married".
I am not certain why.
He has a VERY negative view of marriage.
I don't think it was because of any factor in our M. But, I could be wrong.

B. Youngest child has been in a steady boy-friend relationship for 4 years.
She wants what we have.
She is not at all adventurous.
She views marriage as one of her BIGGER goals in life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might write more, after doing some thinking ????

S
S
1. YOU ARE MARRIED TO YOUR CHILD'S OTHER PARENT[/color]

I am married to the father of all three of my children. We were married for 2 years prior to the birth of our first child.

1. MARRY

2. DIVORCE

3. NEVER MARRY

I think my h and I have tried to show our children that being married is working together on things, sometimes there is good and sometimes there is bad, but as long as you work together you can get through anything including infidelity.

Although I will say that the infidelity hit them hard since we had been married so long and seemed to have a great marriage, now they think that no matter what it will happen to them too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

T
T
I am married to my children's other parent. I don't really know what my kids think of marriage. My DD14 doesn't say much, but she will every once in awhile talk about the kind of boy she doesn't want to date (i.e. jerk, one who pushes for sex before marriage, one who is too short - she's pretty tall). I know she smiles when she walks in on H and I in a hug. But she has also seen us through icy times and my A. I worry a little about how it has affected my kids. DS12 says nothing, and he blushes and leaves the room if H kisses me. So who knows.

F
F

because you may have more than one child, children who have different bio-parents

I am married to the other parent of two of my children. My oldest child was born out of wedlock though he has a relationship (not close) with his bio, my H raised him since he was 8.

1. MARRY

2. DIVORCE

3. NEVER MARRY

My oldest son who is 26 has been in a long term bf/gf R for 5 years. He is a GREAT boyfriend. I see qualities in him that simply amaze me given the circumstances of his birth and the lousy example of my marriage. He says he has no interest in marriage. His gf is the same way. I believe this will change with time because they both love children and both will hit the age where it is easier to settle down with someone. He is honest that my marriage has turned him off from that sort of commitment.

My DD 16 is on the fence. Some days she dreams of marriage and being a SAHM. Other days she says our example has led her to not want to be married. She is very intolerant of her father most days. I think mostly because of the OC situation and his long term sneaking around to see the OC. I believe if he has brought the OC home much sooner and had not put me through so much, she would be more willing to forgive him.

My youngest DS will forever be with me. He is my forever baby smile

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
N
N
1. YOU ARE MARRIED TO YOUR CHILD'S OTHER PARENT[/color]

Yes, my 3 children's father and I are married....

1. MARRY

Well, since I wasn't so sure what my children's view are I asked them!!!!... grin

This was thier responses.....

DD16- "Marriage SUCKS!!!!!....Too many affairs happen. Its ridiculous.....though, one day I will find the man of my dreams, and I will get married...."

note-H's affair had the most effect on her. Plus, she also knows of my parents infidelities, my FIL affair, and my sister's affair. So she is a bit jaded about this subject......(can ya blame her??!!???..... crazy)

DD13- "Mom, why are you asking me this?...I am 13, I shouldn't be thinking about this yet?...... MrRollieEyes"

So I asked her, "Don't you ever think about getting married? The ceremony, living with your H and having kids? Living 'Happily Ever After'?"

DD13-"uhhhh, NO. You know I am not a girly-girl like DD16. I don't care about that kind of stuff...... MrRollieEyes"

Me-"Well, do you think Dad and I have been a good example of how a marriage "should" be?"....

DD13-"Sometimes yes, and when you all fight, no....but I don't think about it....Mom, really, why do you ask such questions?.... MrRollieEyes....Go ask DD16 instead. I'm texting with friends....."

So, I called DS11 in to ask him.....

DS11-"Mom, I AM 11!!!!....I am sure I will get married one day because that's what grown-ups do, but I do think about it. I am a BOY. Boys don't care about this stuff.....because girls are icky...."

So I asked him, "Do you think dad and I have a good marriage?"

DS11-"I don't know.....I guess so...except when you had a fight last week...."

I suppose I should fess up to H's and I's disagreement last week. The only reason the kids knew about it was because we were supposed to be going to the zoo as a family, but the disagreement caused that to get delayed....

not2fun

Last edited by not2fun; 03/26/10 02:46 PM.
P
P

2. YOU HAVE DIVORCED YOUR CHILD'S OTHER PARENT

1. MARRY

2. DIVORCE

3. NEVER MARRY

I am NOT doing research or writing a book.
I am curious how much other people think about these things, and, I think these questions are generally helpful for each and every one of us to think about.

I am divorced from my children's mother and I think about how the divorce will affect them and their future relationships every day.

My folks are working on year 47 this year. Both the maternal and paternal grandparents on my side were married until death do us part. My exWW? Her mother and father were both married 3x's, her grandmother 5x's.

I learned that marriage isn't a sprint - it is a marathon. When you are married for 50 plus years, would you throw everything away because of one bad year or one bad mistake? Heck no!

My exWW grew up learning that marriage is disposable. Instead of working with your spouse to solve problems and find happiness, you divorce and look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I worry my exWW's actions will ensure that the divorce cycle will continue for a fourth generation with at least one of our kids.

Before POSOM came into the picture, exWW and I had a good, happy marriage. Her absolute, abrupt decision to replace me with POSOM I'm sure has left an imprint on the kids on how to be selfish and self serving in relationships. Unfortunately, I worry that I'll have to comfort a future SIL or DIL as one of our children copies the behavior they learned from their mother.

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 118 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation