Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2312629 01/27/10 10:24 AM
C
Crazies Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a recently married woman. I married my partner of 3 years this past spring. We have settled into our married life together well. Something that has come up recently is the discussion of adopting a child or one of us undergoing artificial insemination.

We both want kids...but this seems soon. Although we've been a pair for 3 years, our marriage is new. I've been reading here and learning about the resources. I'd prefer to continue to build a strong marriage before bringing a child into our lives.

How have you resolved differences regarding when to start a family with your spouses?

Thank you in advance.

F
F
Welcome to this site. smile I assume by reading this thread that you're in a same sex marriage. Very brave to post on a site like this.

Starting a family is a hard decision, but seeing that you've been together with your partner for 3 years now I'm sure that the foundation of your relationship is solid so if you both want children I'd say go for it. I'd probably feel safer adopting a child, the whole artificial insemination business seems just scary to me, though that's not based on rational beliefs it just seems scary getting some strange guy's sperm in you. But that's just my opinion, talk to your partner about all these things is my suggestion.

Does she (again I am assuming this) think it's too soon too, does she share your concerns? What does she prefer, adoption or artificial insemination?

R
R
As my mother used to tell us, "When in doubt, don't."

By all means build the bonds, and make children be part of your marriage, rather than the role of mother replacing or subordinating the role of wife.

This is a great opportunity to learn and apply the Policy of Joint Agreement. When the two of you are in enthusiastic agreement about wanting a family, then work out the how using the POJA. Read about the positive things you can do in the book, "Fall In Love, Stay In Love", by Dr. Harley, who created this web site.

Me: 61
Dear Wife: 58
Married: 35 years
C
Crazies Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you both for your thoughtful replies.
Retread...I will look into the "Policy of Joint Agreement." I've been reading some of Dr. Harley's insights in "Fall in Love, Stay in Love."

FlyingHigh...yes, she would like to have children soon as we are both in our 40's. She prefers insemination as there have been a lot of changes in laws in various states regarding adoption by same sex couples. I'm not sure what your reservations are regarding artificial insemination. From what I've read, it is quite safe.

S
S
You both registered today and are married gay women supporting each other. You obviously know each other. Why have this private conversation in public, here?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
R
This thread is locked due to multiple aliases.

Revera01@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 629 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation