Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I'm sure this has been addressed before but I have been thinking about it alot lately. I hope this can help others. Please share your thoughts.

I have struggled with the idea of having no expectations and I have come to the conclusion that my expectations have come from hope�duh. After going through the ups and downs (mostly downs) of my Plan A, I am now in Plan B and I have had a chance to reflect with a little more clarity on my emotions during Plan A.

I can say now that the times when I was down in Plan A that it was because I would get angry or sad. I would get angry or sad because I had expectations of all the good things that I was doing during Plan A. I expected my WW to react to all the good things I was doing. She did not and so eventually all the disappointment would pile up and I would start resenting my WW and the affair to the point where I would want to give up and/or start Love Busting. This is the opposite of what we strive for in Plan A. I turned my hopes into expectations without realizing it and I set myself up for a letdown. Maybe this is what false hope is.

First what is hope?
Noun - the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. (I have hope for the best.)
Verb - to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence, to believe, desire, or trust. (I hope that my marriage will be saved.)

What is expectation (i.e. expect)?
Verb- to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of.
�Synonyms
1. EXPECT, ANTICIPATE, HOPE, AWAIT, all imply looking to some future event. EXPECT implies confidently believing, usually for good reasons, that an event will occur: to expect a visit from a friend. ANTICIPATE is to look forward to an event and even to picture it: Do you anticipate trouble? HOPE implies a wish that an event may take place AND an expectation that it will: to hope for the best. AWAIT (WAIT FOR ) implies being alert and ready, whether for good or evil: to await news after a cyclone.

Ok, so that is what dictionary.com says. So how do you separate the two? I think the first step is understanding that your WS is in an affair and as long they are in contact with their AP they will be in a fog. As long as the WS is foggy they can�t be trusted. Understand that, accept it, your WS is no different than the rest.

So now you are out of YOUR own fog, the next step is executing Plan A with no expectations. You have hope already because you are here. So how do you keep your hopes from turning into expectations? I�ve been told that the real definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again, getting the same result every time and expecting a different one. Example: Throwing a rock into a river and expecting it to not make a splash when it hits the water.

Analogy from Mark:
Consider that rock a $LB deposit, the river your spouse�s $LB, and the water in the river the affair. Your goal (Hope) is to throw enough rocks into the river to stop the water, to make a dam (end the affair). If you throw enough rocks into the river, eventually it will not make a splash, it will fall on another rock. That means your spouse�s $LB is getting into the positive. The more rocks in the river, the fuller the $LB. The factors in stopping the water (affair) are the size of the rocks you are throwing (meeting ENs), the depth of the river (how low is your spouse�s $LB), and the strength of the current (a one night stand or �soul mate� on the scale). Of course when you Love bust, you take a rock out of the river making the water flow more freely.

Back to Hope vs. Expectation in Plan A. You hope to recover your marriage. You cannot expect this in Plan A unless you truly know all the factors in your situation. You do not! You are not your spouse. You do not know exactly how they feel. You do not know how low their Love Bank is. You don�t know their true feelings for their Affair partner. You don�t know the true feelings their Affair Partner has for your WS. You probably do not know how long you will have to make Love Bank Deposits, the length of Plan A. If your WS has told you they are lying, see the First Step. You should EXPECT and Plan for the worst. The only thing you can do is meet their Emotional Needs and Avoid Love Busters and stick to Plan A.

So keep Meeting your Spouse�s ENs and have a solid Plan A in place with NO EXPECTATIONS of Recovery. You can expect your spouse not to appreciate or even notice the changes you are making or even to be angry.

Your HOPE is that you have the time, the strength, the patience, and the resolve; to do everything that you can do in Plan A to make your marriage a better option than divorce. Chances are that you will never know if your Plan A was good enough or if your M is worth recovery until Plan B so don't worry about that right now.

Hopes and Expectations are kind of the same thing, but in Plan A they are very different.
If you throw a rock in a river it will make a splash.
If you throw a rock on another rock, it will not make a splash; it will make a bigger pile of rocks.
In Plan A do not throw a rock into the river and expect it to land on another rock. I did and it and I regret that I did at the time.

A
A
They are synonims and they are both dangerous. They keep us stuck.
If the A is the water then it can't be stopped as water is the force that knows no rest. Bad analogy.
I know we are trying to make sense of this all and would love to read WS mind.
The only thing is certain is that WS prefers the company of the OP for now. It hurts but it is the fact.
What will happen tomorrow or in a year? Who knows
blessing

atena
P
P
Plan A is just a way to let your WS know how things would be like if they break it off and stay but usually it doesn't work. Then you go into plan B to protect yourself from your WS and all the drama. It gives you time to gather yourself and to heal to the point that you can handle things. It also gives time for reality to set in for your WS.

My WH was gone for 5 months, during that time I did everything wrong at the beginning then I found MB after I had started a form of Plan B. My WH has been back for almost 6 months. It hasn't been easy since he has been back. But I will tell you this, he hated the fact that I had nothing to do with him while he was gone. He want the OW and wanted me to be his friend! Heck no!

The only thing that helped while my WH was gone was that I had God and HOPE! I held on to those 2 things. Never give up hope.

BW-me 47yrs
WH-him 50yrs
married 24yrs, together 25 yrs,DD 25yrs, DD 22yrs(granddaughter born 3/14/2012).
D-Day#1 discovered cell phone calls 6/30/2009
D-Day#2 7/26/2009
Plan D 06/2012/WH served 8/17/12
WH left 7/25/2009/WH moved in with OW 7/29/2009
Trying to reconcile 12/30/2009/left 10/22/2010
2nd OW 8/2011? and living in Idaho.
"Dochas" Gaelic for hope which I have with me at all times because it is tattooed on my lower back.
D
D
hope is one thing, expectations are another. HOLD ON to that hope. the reason you're cautioned to let go of all expectations is that CAUSE AND EFFECT go out the window while a WS is experiencing the self-imposed distortion of perception aptly referred to as The Fog.

the rocks-in-the-river analogy makes perfect sense in theory--only problem is, it's LOGICAL. WS's are utterly illogical, because they've spent a long time creating a new and twisted form of logic that requires them to EVERYTHING their spouse does in a negative light.

ok, example: the natural human response to kindness and consideration is one of happiness and gratitude. the WS's response may be in diametric opposition to the norm:

*hostility, indignation--"you cooked me DINNER? how dare you? just what in the hell do you mean by that?"

*it could be contempt and bitterness: "f*** your dinner, don't do me any favors!"

*it could be a hysterical crying jag brought on by shame and the juxtaposition w/ BS's kindness and their own selfishness.

*or it could even be a wan attempt at reacting properly--a weak smile, a stilted word of thanks, an awkward hug.

EXPECTATIONS are counterproductive at this point because they lead you to impose a rational order, a predictable system of cause and effect, onto a situation in which they don't exist.

HOPE, on the other hand, is essential. hope isn't based on logic, or even intuition. don't ever dismiss hope.

A
A
So you can hope for something you do not expect to happen?
How does that work?
Uhmmm
blessing

atena
D
D
Originally Posted by atena
How does that work?
Uhmmm
blessing

Atena, i don't follow--it's certainly food for thought, but are you suggesting that betrayed spouses should LET GO of hope? or that they should trust in their expectations?

the point that i was trying to make is that you can and should continue to hope, and take your WS's illogical thoughts, words, and deeds with a hearty grain of salt because you KNOW they're illogical. they can't be depended upon.

if you, as a BS, are solidly implementing your Plan A and you KNOW it, why allow yourself to be sidetracked by your WS's bizarre and inappropriate reactions? if you're doing the right thing, and your WS lacks the capacity to even RECOGNIZE rightness, let alone ACT on it, why skew your rational perception to fit their capricious and unpredictable behavior?

by strictly logical, expectation-based standards, i was utterly irredeemable as a wife. my H had hope.

blessings to you and your family as well.

S
S
How does that work?
Uhmmm
blessing

Yeah, I dont know about that either, atena...I think that would be called a wish not hope....Like wishing for a million dollars, you wouldnt hope for it. Right? [Linked Image from pic4ever.com]

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
A
A
I don't have the right answer, but my point is that going by the logic of the words you can't hope for something you do not expect to happen.
Sure, we all have hope that things will turn out for the best otherwise we would not be here.
blessing

atena
S
S
Originally Posted by RemainNameless
hope is one thing, expectations are another. HOLD ON to that hope. the reason you're cautioned to let go of all expectations is that CAUSE AND EFFECT go out the window while a WS is experiencing the self-imposed distortion of perception aptly referred to as The Fog.

the rocks-in-the-river analogy makes perfect sense in theory--only problem is, it's LOGICAL. WS's are utterly illogical, because they've spent a long time creating a new and twisted form of logic that requires them to EVERYTHING their spouse does in a negative light.

ok, example: the natural human response to kindness and consideration is one of happiness and gratitude. the WS's response may be in diametric opposition to the norm:

*hostility, indignation--"you cooked me DINNER? how dare you? just what in the hell do you mean by that?"

*it could be contempt and bitterness: "f*** your dinner, don't do me any favors!"

*it could be a hysterical crying jag brought on by shame and the juxtaposition w/ BS's kindness and their own selfishness.

*or it could even be a wan attempt at reacting properly--a weak smile, a stilted word of thanks, an awkward hug.

EXPECTATIONS are counterproductive at this point because they lead you to impose a rational order, a predictable system of cause and effect, onto a situation in which they don't exist.

HOPE, on the other hand, is essential. hope isn't based on logic, or even intuition. don't ever dismiss hope.

The definition of expectation is hope. think

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

S
S
Now_what, you did a good job with this post. Great idea.

Now the way that I look at the NO EXPECTATIONS IN PLAN A/B is this way.

When you do something in Plan A/B DON'T THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR WS WILL/WILL NOT DO. Plan A IS about the BS. Silly sounding right? Actually, it's NOT. That's because it is YOUR time to SHINE. You get to show YOURSELF how you would be in a healthy happy marriage. Think of it as practice for either marital recovery OR a NEW relationship. How would your current/past relationship have been had you STARTED with ALL of this MB knowledge? WOW.

When I post to someone to have NO EXPECTATIONS, what I am saying is, "Don't think about the reaction or non-reaction of the WS AT ALL." They don't matter. The only way they matter is that you are going to show that you are WILLING to meet THEIR ENs. You can't say, "If I do X, then he/she will react with Y." They will most likely do Z. Then that gets you DISAPPOINTED and you LOSE a bit of HOPE.

So, in a nutshell, as others have posted, DON'T HAVE EXPECTATIONS. If you have expectations, you will become disappointed. Disappointment will lead to your lose of HOPE.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
S
S
I don't have the right answer, but my point is that going by the logic of the words you can't hope for something you do not expect to happen.
Sure, we all have hope that things will turn out for the best otherwise we would not be here.
blessing

I agree.

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

D
D
Originally Posted by Scotland
Now_what, you did a good job with this post. Great idea.

Now the way that I look at the NO EXPECTATIONS IN PLAN A/B is this way.

When you do something in Plan A/B DON'T THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR WS WILL/WILL NOT DO. Plan A IS about the BS. Silly sounding right? Actually, it's NOT. That's because it is YOUR time to SHINE. You get to show YOURSELF how you would be in a healthy happy marriage. Think of it as practice for either marital recovery OR a NEW relationship. How would your current/past relationship have been had you STARTED with ALL of this MB knowledge? WOW.

When I post to someone to have NO EXPECTATIONS, what I am saying is, "Don't think about the reaction or non-reaction of the WS AT ALL." They don't matter. The only way they matter is that you are going to show that you are WILLING to meet THEIR ENs. You can't say, "If I do X, then he/she will react with Y." They will most likely do Z. Then that gets you DISAPPOINTED and you LOSE a bit of HOPE.

So, in a nutshell, as others have posted, DON'T HAVE EXPECTATIONS. If you have expectations, you will become disappointed. Disappointment will lead to your lose of HOPE.

brilliant! i'd like to think that's what i was trying to say.

three cheers for Scotland! =)

S
S
I will cheer for scotty [Linked Image from pic4ever.com][Linked Image from pic4ever.com][Linked Image from pic4ever.com]

Last edited by stillhere8126; 06/18/10 04:50 PM. Reason: THREE CHEERS

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

S
S
Oh Still. I think instead of calling you Stilly, I am gonna call you SILLY. You make me LAff. laugh

BTW, Really NOT necessary. Just telling my take. laugh Even I get it right every once in a while HEHEHEHEHE

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
N
OP Offline
N
You are absolutely correct Scotty. Makes sense now.

While I was in Plan A I really struggled with having expectations. I have an analytical mind and I just couldn't grasp the concept of having hope w/o the expectation. I mean, they pretty much mean the same thing. My head was spinning when I looked up the definitions. How is it possible? I had to make an analogy out it.
I'm also a very hands on person, meaning that I have to understand HOW something works before I get it. So I hope this thread can help dissect the whole thing a little better so that others may be able to understand what no expectations really means while in Plan A/B or whatever.

M
M
OK.

First order of business is to fix two parts of the rocks in a river analogy...

First, the analogy is Steve Harley's, not mine at its origin.

Second, The analogy is not to stop the flow of the river, and the water in the river is not symbolic of the affair. The object is to build a foundation that becomes visible above the surface that can be used to build a bridge to cross over to the other side.

The idea is to not rely on purely observed feedback when making those Love Bank deposits to sustain the efforts. We need to keep throwing those rocks (making deposits) in spite of lack of visible change and not in anticipation of it occurring.

If you do the things that meet the ENs of a person and you do it long enough and often enough, you will make progress in creating feelings in them that tend toward the positive. At the same time, you avoid taking anything out (avoid Love Busters) and KNOW that you are making headway despite the observed reactions of the WS.

That is the whole point of the analogy right there, to do what you KNOW is filling the Love Bank of the WS despite what the feedback from the WS is telling you. You don't do it and EXPECT ANY reaction but do it KNOWING that it is working logically.

My mantra of NO expectations has to do with the fact that if you expect (anticipate) a positive reaction from the WS as a way of analyzing your success or failure and whether or not you are making progress as some type of reward for doing the right hing, then you clearly don't really understand yet that it is the right thing to do and are only doing it for some sort of instant feedback that satisfies your need to be rewarded.

If you EXPECT a negative reaction after doing something that you know is good, then you will likely miss the subtle repositioning of the stance of the WS who will as soon as you do get through and make a deposit will almost immediately respond by ranting and wailing and complaining that you are a manipulator and a control freak and a person who has no self respect...

All of that stuff means that what you did ht the pile and made an impact. If it didn't make an impact then they wouldn't have even noticed the effort. So you can't EXPECT anything, good or bad. You can't rely on a good response to keep trying since doing the right thing is reason enough to to do what is right. And you can't EXPECT a negative reaction to everything you do because if you do then you will not be able to recognize the small changes that accompany the WS having to reposition their stand in order to continue to justify continuing the affair.

Hope is a belief that something, yet unseen and not yet realized is in fact true, not in spite of the evidence but because you know it to be true. What you place your hope in is only as good as the reality of that thing you hope for.

Expecting a specific reaction or response is what needs to be avoided in Plan A but if you lose all hope that anything will ever be better, then there is no longer a need for Plan A since if it cannot succeed it is a waste of time and causes needless suffering.

The water in the river simply demonstrates the observable change (or lack thereof) as the result of throwing that next rock. If you can only throw again based on seeing the result, then Plan A isn't gonna work for you because you won't be able to do it long enough to make a difference in the big scheme of things.

Mark

S
S
HERE HERE. NOW THAT DESERVES CHEERING. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
S
S
Yes, Mark is ridiculously smart and does unbelievably awesome analogies. [Linked Image from millan.net]

Last edited by stillhere8126; 06/18/10 06:06 PM. Reason: Just kidding about the woopdedoo part :)

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

S
S
Oh, yeah it was Steve Harley analogy...[Linked Image from millan.net]

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

M
M
The top of the river is the romantic love threshold Dr. Harley talks about.

If you have a reluctant spouse (wayward or not), your account in your spouse's love bank is below the threshold. The rocks are all below the surface of the river. You can raise that account and pile up rocks a long time before breaking through the threshold / breaking the surface of the water.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 906 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation