Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
OP Offline
G
I need a kick today. Out of seemingly nowhere, foggy thoughts enter my head. I start to doubt my course, and I revert to old thinking. I KNOW this is wrong, so plz help set me straight.

My H and I really working on the UA time this weekend, but it's so awkward and feels like work. I know this is also normal, based on Dr. H... I try to keep that in mind.

But, when I think back on my A (the worst mistake I've ever made in my life), I want to be repulsed at my actions so badly that there is nothing good to remember.. I need to feel the repulsion.

I read a post (can't remember who... maybe GloveOil??)... about thought training.. basically, the idea was that when thoughts of the A or OP come into mind, you shape your thoughts to reflect what a horrible person he/she is... to actively pursue a married person who has young children.. I need to find that thread if anyone can recall it. I've been searching, can't find it.

Thanks!

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
W
W
Hi Grace - Here is what GO wrote on strugglingaz's thread:

Originally Posted by GloveOil
One thing that may help: Quit making it all about you. What about your husband's feelings? How must he feel? Whenever you think how sweet & nice OM makes you feel, you might try imagining what a kick in the stomach that is to the man you chose to marry.

I had an affair, strugglingaz. Yeah, I thought I was "in love." But I came to see eventually it wasn't that at all. Rather, it was actually me & OW being very, very selfish, and choosing to indulge that selfishness with very little consideration for our spouses' feelings.

But after I came clean & started trying to place my wife's feelings at least on par with my own, we were able to learn & start meeting each other's emotional needs better than we'd ever been able to do before in over 16 years of marriage.

OW tried to break up my family. She wanted me to run off with her. Had I done that, I would've ruined my life. She was a walking ball of issues. I suspect that your OM -- and any man who would act as though he has any kind of right to intrude on another's marriage -- has plenty of issues of his own. You think you can build a good relationship on top of that kind of character defect? Or is it your fantasy that after you & he run off to fantasy land and you ditch your husband & kids, that your OM will magically repair that character & be faithful to you, even while you repair your own character?

Here

I don't know if that is what you are looking for...I think GO wrote another post that is a better description of what you are talking about.

Maybe I am far enough removed from my A to not feel those moments of fog anymore - I don't know. I do know that any thoughts I have of the OM are not charitable in the least. I see him as equally responsible for the pain that my H feels.

I've got a criminal justice sort of minset, so bear with me for this analogy: think about a home invasion, where someone forces his way into your home, robs you, and physically torments the homeowners. Ties them to a chair, brutalizes them, takes treasured possessions from the home. Perhaps those possessions get broken, or at the very least they are never returned.

Now, imagine that all of that happens, but the criminal did not force his way into your home.

You opened the door and let him in.

You stood by while he tied hour BH to a chair and sucker punched him in the gut.

You stood by while he rifled through your BH's most precious possessions, items he has held and treasured for years. You even bring some of those treasured things and hand them over to the criminal. Some he drops, and they shatter into a million pieces, never to be repaired again. Some he slips into his pocket and takes them away. Pawns them for pennies.

After the criminal has taken everything that he wanted, he leaves. You stand there, looking at your house, which is in shambles. Your BH sits, stunned, bleeding from a thousand cuts, bruised.

How can you possibly say "I'm sorry" to him, and it make up for the devastation?

You untie your BH. You care for his injuries first and foremost. You ensure he gets the care that he needs. If you are fortunate, he lets you do this.

Then you try to clean up the mess in your home. You begin to try to set things right. Your BH is weak, so you must do the heavy lifting in the beginning: sweeping up the broken glass, repairing the door, putting back the furniture that the criminal knocked over. You set up an alarm system of extraordinary precautions against something like this ever happening again.

Your BH begins to gather strength, and hopefully chooses to help you continue to set your house back right. Together you rehang the pictures on the wall - look, the criminal knocked your wedding portrait down - you hang it back up together. You try to replace your BH's most treasured possessions. You'll never be able to get the exact same thing - in my case, some of those possessions my BH had owned for going on 20 years - but your search for new treasures for him and if you are fortunate, he accepts them and gives them a special place in his heart.

Perhaps you find the pawn shop the criminal went to, and you are able to recover some of the things your BH lost. They are a bit chipped and tarnished, but you return them to him anyway.

Perhaps he accepts these things from you. He's hurt they are no longer quite the same as he remembered, but he still treasures them and returns them to an honored place in his home.

Or, he may not want them, and you're stuck with the broken bits and have to try and repair them on your own as best you can, polishing them and saving them until maybe there comes a day he decides he wants them back.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
M
M
Originally Posted by grace_88
I read a post (can't remember who... maybe GloveOil??)... about thought training.. basically, the idea was that when thoughts of the A or OP come into mind, you shape your thoughts to reflect what a horrible person he/she is... to actively pursue a married person who has young children.. I need to find that thread if anyone can recall it. I've been searching, can't find it.

Thanks!

First off, I would stop posting or writing this when you have these thoughts. You are just making it worse, not better when you do this. Of course you will have such thoughts as you withdraw. The key is to stop talking and writing about them and focus on your marriage. As you fall in love with your husband again [WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN UNLESS YOU TAKE SERIOUSLY THE UA TIME] you will think less and less of that loserOM.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
Grace, maybe you're thinking of this
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=163055&Number=2503758#Post2503758
and this
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=163055&Number=2503397#Post2503397

Those are about reacting to triggers that are hard to prevent -- for when you drive past someplace, or hear a song, that you've associated with OM, and the thought of OM has popped into your head.

However, I want to emphasize that, as Mel also suggests, dealing with the triggers is not the main thing; it's necessary, but it's not your main mission. Think of one of those old World War II aerial combat movies: The Air Corps bombers have to deal with flak & enemy fighters trying to shoot them down, and so the bombers need to dodge the flak & shoot down the fighters; but that's not their main mission. Their main mission is to put bombs on the target. (Sorry for the military analogy, it's a guy thing.)

Your main mission is to get in good UA time with your husband, in order for you to put deposits into his Love Bank & for him to make deposits into yours. If you have idle time & find yourself thinking of OM, then it's important for you not only to reassociate the thought into something negative, but also to stay on-mission by quickly getting rid of that idle time & converting it into time spent productively.

Deep-six that idle time by using it to think of things you're going to do for your husband, by using it to think of things that you'll do during that UA time. You need to be doing & planning fun things to do together -- restaurants or concerts you haven't seen, sports you haven't played together previously, meals you haven't cooked together, buying & wearing new clothes that you think he'll like, or re-doing fun things that you used to like doing together but got away from doing or haven't done in awhile. If weekend getaways are too much of a stretch, schedule meals together. Doing things together is important. So is having things planned-ahead on the calendar that you'll both enjoy doing, so that you have "together-time" commitments to look forward to, which can help pull you through crummy parts of the week when the schedules are tough & you are having a hard time filling one another's needs.

This is a chance for creativity. Realize how much energy & planning you devoted to your affair -- thinking of what you wanted to say to OM, trying to find time for e-mails or phone calls, planning time to meet, and the extra energy you surely must have devoted to trying to keep it secret. During my affair, I certainly, somehow managed to carve out time for OW, and it took some effort & creativity on my part as well as hers. (Horribly misdirected effort & creativity, but effort & creativity nonetheless.) If we can go those extra miles for APs, then we can surely do it for our spouses -- especially inasmuch as they didn't kick us out on our butts, as they'd have had every right to do.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
G
OP Offline
G
I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to post about my difficulties, but if I hadn't posted today, I would not have received such helpful advice.

I expect that there will be difficult times, and that I'm not supposed to talk or think about them. That's exactly what my goal is....I just didin't know how to get there in my mind.

I now have concrete ideas to help me, espcially with the UA time (thanks for those excellent ideas, Glove Oil).. and I like the criminal analogy, WPG. It is a great perspective.

This has been a huge help for me today, and I'm back on track.
Much appreciated!

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation