Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Seems we have an enablers convention in town with many new and old posters who are enabling their spouse's affair by keeping the secret. Please understand that affairs thrive on secrecy, so keeping it a secret is tantamount to driving the alcoholic to the bar and giving them money for booze.

Nothing that we tell you to do can overcome your enabling. Nothing.

Here is Dr Harley talking to a man who kept his wife's affair a big secret for 2 years. Her affair became so entrenched from his enabling that she was LEAVING HIM and their children for her OM. Dr Harley told him "its hard to save a marriage when you are an enabler"

[b][color:#FF0000][size:17pt]LISTEN HERE![/size][/color][/b]

People here dearly want to help you, but there is nothing we can do to help you if you won't help yourself.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Personally, I refuse to post to someone who will not expose because I know they are not serious. If they can't be bothered to expose then I can't be bothered either. It is unfair to ask posters here to help when you won't take the advice.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Yeah .. thats a tough one. Especailly when the BS feels that exposing will "end it for sure".

I think really, exposing is just pushing the WS off the fence towards what they planned on doing all along.

*shrugs*

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
Yeah .. thats a tough one. Especailly when the BS feels that exposing will "end it for sure".

I think really, exposing is just pushing the WS off the fence towards what they planned on doing all along.

*shrugs*

Actually, exposure usually kills the affair so it is not tough at all. All BS's feel like exposure will "end it for sure" but feelings are not truth.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
The marriage is likely to end if the affair is not exposed. It will end because of the affair. The problem is that many betrayed spouses have an irrational FEAR of exposure.

Getting divorced because you didn't expose is what is "tough."

Exposure 101

M
M
Of course .. we all know (hind sight is 20/20) that exposing, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, kills the affair, it also stops the BS from being strung along waiting to find out what the WS planned on doing all along.

M
OP Offline
M
it also stops the BS from being strung along waiting to find out what the WS planned on doing all along.

What the WS "plans" on doing is conducting the affair and keeping the BS strung along. A WS doesn't typically have any plans beyond that, because he is about as strategic and thoughtful as a falling down drunk.

Do you understand the mentality of a wayward, MrNiceGuy?

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
And more importantly, lets say the WS does have plans to leave for his affair. The BS can ruin those plans by exposing the affair. That is the goal. To RUIN any such plans.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Do you understand the mentality of a wayward, MrNiceGuy?

Oh yes ... I do. First hand .... thankfully not my wife. But my wifes mother! Who is not a good example in this topic. frown

Edit: to add quote.

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; 01/11/13 06:18 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Oh yes ... I do. First hand .... thankfully not my wife. But my wifes mother! Who is not a good example in this topic. frown

Did she appear very rational to you?

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Did she appear very rational to you?

Nope... and never has been as far as I can tell. We have not spoken to her since the exposure of her affair. She continues to rationalize it (very sad) and lives in the fog unfortunately. I dont think she has ever NOT been in the fog her entire life. But thats just my opinion and my wifes of course. We chalked it up to her personality .. shes one of those "electric fence" personalities. Its really sad actually .. and since none of us were enablers for her affair .. we are of the devil! .. lol

N
N
Very timely thread as usual ML

I exposed 3 days post DDay and I knew nothing of MB at the time. I just don't get the reluctance of some BS.

Exposing led to the OW throwing my WH under the bus to save her skin

Exposing got me some very needed support at a difficult time

Exposing helped my WH wake up and see his poor choices

Exposing to my kids helped them understand why bad things were happening in their home.

Exposing shed a mammoth seize fog light on the A and killed it.

And that's just a few of the benefits.

What's there to be scared of?

Last edited by NB28; 01/11/13 07:01 PM.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38
Married: 2000
DD1November 22 2008 - DD2 October 2014
PA Duration September 08 - November 08
Second discovery- 6 online affairs 4 sexual one emotional. October 2014.kids: DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DS 10 . Baby after divorce DS 18months

Divorced

Was misled into thinking we were in recovery for 6 years.

If you were shocked reading any of this, that this is the consequence of not following MB to the LETTER.

J
J
I exposed within a week of DDay. My wife was very, very angry and held it against me even after the divorce. It definitely drove her farther away. But now we are reconciling and she has put it past her. Does she wish I didn't expose? Yes, because she's ashamed of what she's done. But I think she understands I was fighting for our marriage. She is no longer angry with me about it.

After exposure she got almost no support for her affair and she was alienated because of it. This didn't drive her away from her affair partner, but it contributed significantly to the unhappiness of her situation. As things started to unravel with her POSOM, she hit rock bottom. Exposure did its work at this stage.

Exposing is very important because it enables the true story to get out unadulterated (excuse the pun). There is no chance for the wayward spouse to obfuscate the truth and whitewash the affair. The affair becomes inconvenient and uncomfortable.

I can never understand why BS's are reluctant to expose.

She is ashamed and would like to move away from her friends and family. But I think time will ease those feelings.

B
B
Originally Posted by NB28
I exposed 3 days post DDay and I knew nothing of MB at the time. I just don't get the reluctance of some BS.

Exposing led to the OW throwing my WH under the bus to save her skin

Exposing got me some very needed support at a difficult time

Exposing helped my WH wake up and see his poor choices

Exposing to my kids helped them understand why bad things were happening in their home.

Exposing shed a mammoth seize fog light on the A and killed it.

And that's just a few of the benefits.

Same here, NB.

Exposed on Dday to kids, my sister, and friend. Looked for BH and exposed to him three days later along with inlaws and others. All the benefits you listed...agreed. I have no regrets about exposure and there was no way I was getting divorced with some "we just grew apart" BS. WH threw OW under the bus...she didn't like it lol and got to see just how special she was.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
K
K
This is why I've tried to stick to BSs who have done what they needed to do and need support in the ongoing fight.

Posting to a new BS, especially the crop that doesn't want to expose, sometimes feels like banging my head in the oven door. The oven doesn't care and I get a headache..

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
N
N
Forgot to mention that my exposure helped protect further families from going through this because my OW was a total POS and she only went after married men (my WH was number 5 in the store they worked in) so when I exposed her she was warned by management that should she begin any further relationships with married colleagues she would loose her job and there is a note regarding this in her work file. She was demoted from management to a measly position.

she is the laughing stock of her colleagues, no one would touch her with a barge pole at work and she is shunned and isolated.

Extra bonus was that my WH company actually paid us a settlement because they recognised that they failed to protect him from the OW as she had slept with 4 other married managers who then quit their job once the A was discovered but they never took action regarding her behaviour.

Exposure is never pleasant but it can hold many good surprises and you really discover who is worth keeping in your life, who truly loves and supports you and who is there just for the drama.

I really can't praise the exposure enough. In a strange way it gave me my dignity back.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38
Second discovery- 6 online affairs 4 sexual one emotional. October 2014.kids: DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DS 10 . Baby after divorce DS 18months

Divorced

If you were shocked reading any of this, that this is the consequence of not following MB to the LETTER.

N
N
Originally Posted by karmasrose
This is why I've tried to stick to BSs who have done what they needed to do and need support in the ongoing fight.

Posting to a new BS, especially the crop that doesn't want to expose, sometimes feels like banging my head in the oven door. The oven doesn't care and I get a headache..

This next statement might be seen as controversial but I view BS who refuse to expose as selfish, they are only thinking about their embarrassment and the discomfort of having to deal with a WS anger etc.

They are putting themselves first, they are not trying to save their WS and I especially dislike BS who refuse to expose the BS of the OP.

Why on earth would anyone be reluctant to inform a fellow BS that they are being betrayed is beyond me.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

J
J
I exposed and am glad I did.
My marriage still ended in divorce but by exposing everyone knew of OM criminal record and it ruined my ex wife's plans of replacing me with him

I
I
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
and it ruined my ex wife's plans of replacing me with him

Same here. Exposure rocks.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

B
B
Not wanting to expose is the result of one thing: FEAR. I was there preMB. I know. If I had found MB soon after dday, I hope I would have had the courage to do it. Some people are never afraid, some people take longer to overcome their fear than others. But I agree with NB28, lack of exposure is selfish and unloving.

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation