Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
M
M
Originally Posted by SDCW_man
Look, let's consider what characteristics are typical 'initial attractants' in each gender to members of the opposite sex:

Men are attracted initially to a woman overwhelmingly VIA LARGELY VISUAL INPUTS. They see/meet a woman who is (seemingly or real) dressed alluringly, has nice hair, nice makeup, a pretty face, a great smile, a sexy figure, etc., and boom...she is someone they are drawn to and incentivized to engage with banter, conversation, flirtation, etc. It is no secret that a woman who naturally has feminine sex appeal is likely to get extra male attention. Don�t believe me? How often does the male dentist have a relationship (legit or affair) with the shapely gal at the gym rather than the frumpy or homely assistant?

This is not the case for my wayward. He was initially attracted to her because she 'noticed' him and then they were talking on the phone on the drive home from work so it didn't matter how she looked at that point. By the time he really had to deal with her looks he was already well in the addiction, but he would continually comment on how her weight bothers him and how much better I (BS) look. But it doesn't matter.... he's too hooked... thinks they will be very happy together and she is so "sweet"

Married 1/2000.
D-Day 3/7/11. WH moved in with OW and they married in 2013.
Single mom of 4.

M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
MB - I think we had the same alien.

The "loss" of my REAL husband during that time nearly drove me mad.

Yeah, but you know what? SHE didn't have our 'real' H either. Our 'real' H came back later, after the A. I take a lot of solace in that.

And I wish I could remember who wrote on another thread about that - I apologize for not being able to credit the poster! Anyone remember? (I knew I should have copied and saved that poem! sigh )Words to the effect of the OW wanting the H, the one who was a great father, great H. But she never had him because he became someone else when the A began...wish I could remember...it's hell getting older...

Yes.... my husband's other woman wanted the great father great husband, better man than her own husbnd, but now he's dumped his four kids and hardly sees them and has taken away financial support from us.... how great can he be...

Married 1/2000.
Single mom of 4.

H
H
Originally Posted by mehr
...he would lay in bed all day long, and I think it was to try to get me to get angry with him....

OR, it was moments of clarity in which he knew the gravity of what he was stooping to.

Soul-crushing depression falls on waywards, too. In fact, it's one of the things that can begin to drive the wedge between WS and AP when you enter Plan B.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Soul-crushing depression falls on waywards, too. In fact, it's one of the things that can begin to drive the wedge between WS and AP when you enter Plan B.

I think my WW is too prideful and stubborn for my Plan B to have this type of affect on her. She has told me that there is nothing I can do to steal her happiness.

I will say that I found and interesting quote the other day while studying scripture:

One will never find in sin what they go into sin to find.

I just thought that was so relevant to my situation as well as many others here.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
H
H
Originally Posted by marksaysay

I think my WW is too prideful and stubborn for my Plan B to have this type of affect on her. She has told me that there is nothing I can do to steal her happiness.

I will say that I found and interesting quote the other day while studying scripture:

One will never find in sin what they go into sin to find.

I just thought that was so relevant to my situation as well as many others here.

Ah, but it ain't about her, brother.

It's about her AP, and how he will handle her if she starts sinking into depression, or flying into fits of rage.

With you out of the picture, he has to do all of the work with her.

She can be as prideful and stubborn as she likes, but if he ain't gonna put up with it, she will have to be prideful and stubborn by herself!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
W
W
As a FWW who's OM was married, that makes me an OW as well. I wasn't predatory, just stupid. Naiive. Trusting. Believing that friendship with someone of the opposite sex was harmless. Not only that, but someone who was an ex of mine.

Harmless. Right.

His attention made me feel good. I felt flattered and attractive. My conversation was witty, my jokes funny.

He did not fit this profile:

Originally Posted by SDCW_man
Women are attracted initially to a man overwhelmingly VIA DISPLAYS OF SOCIAL PROWESS & POWER. They see/meet a man who displays (seemingly or real) charm, charisma, authority, confidence, leadership, etc., and boom�he becomes as a person of interest beyond the ordinary whose attention she is more likely to indulge. It is no secret that a man with some alpha-male qualifications will find women willing to talk with him. Don�t believe me? How often does the female office secretary have a relationship (legit or affair) with the HEAD BOSS rather than the lowly janitor?

OM was no alpha male. My H was - and is - a much more manly and sexy specimen than OM. H had a much better job than OM, with more responsibility and more potential for advancement. Even if you compared my position of leadership/authority to his, I was higher up. We did not work together, in fact were in different lines of work entirely, but there was more "status" with my position than with his. He was trying to start his own business, and eventually did, but the A was over by then. When the A started, he was in a menial office job. He was delivering interoffice mail and typing memos, I was sitting on a state board and running a training school. He used to talk to me about starting his business, but I faked interest in it. I didn't really care. I just wanted the attention.

OM had an "in" with me b/c of my failure to recognize the dangers of being "friends" with ex's. My boundaries were virtually nonexistent with him. In hindsight,I think he had at least one more A with an ex from his past, incidentally causing her M to end in D...maybe that was his MO, who knows. It still doesn't absolve me, because I allowed myself to step over the line. I justified it.

I didn't accept OM's "friend" request on FB with the intention of having an A with him, but to my H that is when it all started. Accepting that request was the first display of weakened boundaries. Responding to his messages was the next. Posting on each other's FB page. Responding to the first chat request he sent. Responding to the first text he sent. Agreeing to meet him for lunch. And I can think back and I can remember these things - perhaps not with the clarity my H wanted me to remember them, but I remember getting the first text from OM. I remember what it was. I don't remember the date, but I remember responding. I can think back and remember each time I made some small, seemingly minor decision that led to a full-blown A. I remember these small things more than the physical acts. I don't know why...maybe it is blocking the other acts out and refusing to remember them. Maybe it is my mind's way of realizing that I could have turned the tide many, many times with a difference in how I'd responded to the small things, but by the time I made myself into a wh*re for the OM I was too far gone.

I didn't give myself away all at once. I slowly pulled away from my H bit by bit. By the time he really noticed, the A had already gone physical.

I can vouch for soul-crushing depression. I did withdraw. I drank nearly every night. I wanted to escape, but what was I escaping? My day-to-day life, the struggles of motherhood, a FT job, and what I perceived as a "boring" M? Or was I trying to escape the knowledge that I was betraying everything that was important to me, betraying the very core of my being, betraying the man I love more than my life, by having an A?

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

All for the want of some attention and validation, all for the want of some empty and meaningless praise, my kingdom - my marriage - was lost.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
M
M
Originally Posted by warriorforlove
I posted this at the end of a long thread, but I really wanted it to be more visible. So, I'm beginning a new thread with it:

I think I should have included an address to mw77, as my reply was in response to her post justifying adultery.

I don't always understand why and how it is so easy to sweep aside the wisdom provided to us in the form of God's commandments. It's really pretty easy, love God with all your heart, etc., and love your neighbor as yourself. But, he knew we would sin and we continue to, as evidenced by the condition of this world he gave us. I am no exception.

Let's think about our neighbor for a minute. Do we know if he or she is good or evil? Do we know what his or her strengths or weaknesses are? Do we know where they've been wounded? Neglected? Abused? Do we know how well they've been loved? Do we know what went into creating them to be who they've become? Do we know how they're being treated presently? Really?

I'm pretty sure that God's commandments were given to us to keep us from making bad mistakes in our ignorance. The commandment not to commit adultery is one of the most misunderstood, most abused that comes to mind. It's so bad that most states don't care about it anymore, because it clogs the courts. So, they opt to simply look out for the welfare of the children as the main goal in divorce.

My own experience with all sorts of people in all sorts of roles is that PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT ADULTERY. They do it, they excuse it, they use it like an addiction, they ignore it, they justify it. Mainly, from what I've seen, they use it to PUNISH.

Well, 'Vengeance is mine, says the Lord. I will repay.' (condensed). So, if you are a terrible marriage partner or if you have one, figure out how to solve or exit your situation morally. Otherwise you're putting yourself above God and you're scrambling and corrupting the world around you.

God isn't against divorce, he did it himself. He divorced his people Israel. Divorce isn't a sin, but adultery is and always will be.

You know what adultery does to the betrayed (however evil you might believe them to be)? It robs them of the opportunity to learn and grow in a safe, non-abusive environment. It pays evil for evil. If married people take the time to learn why their marriage isn't working, whether they plan on staying together or not, the person doing the most hurting has the opportunity to be confronted with the threat of divorce, before they become abused by their mate with their replacement. I always picture someone beating the crap out of another with their lover. They have a safe environment to examine themselves and an opportunity to change. I don't think anyone grows up desiring to be "the evil one" (serial murderers and the like being the obvious exception). The whole idea behind counseling is to reveal feelings of a desire to divorce, so that the other person can see the nature of their "fruit" in life and can change their hearts.

What good does it do to just dispose of people? Because, the attitude, from what I've seen, of the people who do this sounds something like this, "they've reaped what they've sown", "they get what they deserve", "someone else will have to love them", "they're not my problem anymore". Speaking from experience, being sent the message that I'm somebody's discards, somebody's refuse, somebody's trash didn't do me any good at all. I didn't marry to be thrown away. I married to love and be loved. And love sometimes means being corrected, being revealed, being taught lessons. I am abused when I am not rebuked. And I abuse when I don't rebuke. Marriage is supposed to be a safe environment within which we become better people and manifest the love of God. I didn't offer my heart to another person to eventually be judged and condemned and none of us do. That's what adultery is... judgment and condemnation.

I know I did things wrong in my own marriage. In those things I was ignorant. Who of us knows how to 'do' marriage right from the beginning? Who of us has just the right counselors and support networks of family and friends to give us just the right advice just when we need it? If a problem persisted in my own marriage, it was because either I wasn't told there was a problem, or I didn't understand. I rely on my partner to work with me until I do understand.

As empathetic and as compassionate as I may be, it is impossible for me to know exactly what another person is feeling. I am completely dependent on their ability and willingness to tell me in a way that's meaningful to me, to teach me, to use correct metaphors, whatever. Screaming, yelling, passive-aggressiveness and violence are not effective forms of communication. Adultery is passive-aggressive. It is the ultimate in passive-aggressive where marriage is concerned.

mw77, it sounds like your mate was married to a deeply wounded person who probably only learned how to cope with her emotions using passive-aggression. But, she has value and is valuable to God. I wonder how she would have responded if he had said to her, "honey, I just don't understand what I've done wrong by your silence. I want us to be happy. I need more information to know how to love you. Can you try expressing what made you angry? Then I will know not to do that again and I'll feel a lot better knowing how happy I can make you (not to mean that he was at fault, but humility opens doors to knowledge)." Or, "you know physical affection in the form of sex or lovemaking is normal and healthy and a necessary part of a happy marriage. I don't know if I can stay married to you, because I am deeply lonely and frustrated. God made us to be together in that beautiful way and I would like to see if we can safely remove the obstacles that may exist so that we can have a safe and deeply fulfilling marriage." Or, "honey, your words hurt me deeply. They aren't true. But, it sounds like something hurt you or you wouldn't be lashing out like that. Will you please try to help me understand? I want you to be happy and if I'm missing the mark I truly want to know and to correct myself." Or, "let's get help to learn how to make each other really happy, because I love you and I want you to have the best and I surely would love it too."

If anyone is ridiculed after that, they can leave in good conscience. Not for another woman or man, but by themselves. The reason they ended up there in the first place is half their fault. There's something wrong with them. To begin another relationship before learning those things just isn't wise.

So wm77, let me ask you this. If you had been his ex-wife and you lived terrified, behind a curtain of defensiveness, shame, whatever, wouldn't you want God to reach deeply into you to heal you and bring you the love you need? Or, would you want someone to waste 30 years of your life then beat you up with their lover? Wouldn't it be far more compassionate to leave after, say, year 3? Year 7? Year 14? Leaving you something of your life? Even if only to jar your senses and wake you up? Then, if a lover isn't in the picture, imagine the possibilities for healing and for love where little or none existed before. EVEN IF THEY DON'T STAY TOGETHER.

In my heart and in my mind, it just isn't very productive to beat the crap out of anyone with your lover. THAT IS THE EXPERIENCE OF ADULTERY. That is how it feels to be replaced without being brought to understanding first. It makes you feel like defective trash. Period. It is completely unproductive PUNISHMENT.

There's a big difference between rebuke, discipline and punishment. Adultery=Punishment=Vengeance.

M
M
Originally Posted by mehr
...he would lay in bed all day long, and I think it was to try to get me to get angry with him....

OR, it was moments of clarity in which he knew the gravity of what he was stooping to.

I pray for that. Yes, he did become depressed, he got on medication for it shortly before D-day.

Married 1/2000.
Single mom of 4.

T
T
Pepperband,

Simoly put it is my belief that affairs take place and begin due to selfishness on the part of one of the marital partners. I do not think that anyone of us needs a roadmap to realize this. We all made out choice to select and commit to another person back when. This is unitil death. Yep am older now and can make this type of statemtn, but I can see now the temptations thru my younger life and how I could have failed as well as many here. Perhaps in my case I was too awkward and frigtened to even approach another woman. I would have looked like a stumbling bumbling selfish fool and any woman would have recognized that and probably laughed her heart out. But, as I think back it would only have been for my selfish interests. When I see or read about guys (or even women) who have strayed I have sometimes felt I missed out. Only human. But, in the long run, I can honestly say that I do not at all feel like a fool, but rather a winner! Because in the end I can then say to Char that I have always been her's and that thought is beautiful and pure.

I realize what you are saying, but then again I think that too many people - men and women - tend to get too caught up in their own underware in terms of giving in to their selfishness for the sake of momentary pleasure. So, I do not think we need EP's and all of that if we each continue for each day of our lives to appreciate the beautiful person we made that committment to and overcome our selfishness.

At this point in my life I know full well I am closer to being called by Him (death) than I was just a few years ago. I am not trying to be morbid here, just expressing that I would not want to face that with anyone other than the woman who God granted me as my life partner. And, the only thing I feel guilty about is that I want her to contuue to by mine...all mine.

Take care,

Tom

T
T
Just had another ridiculous thought,

That is this: today when I was at a store here a young female clerk waited on me and yes she was attractive. Well I am age 68 and to be 69 in a month. First of all I did compljment her on the way she checked me out - pretty fast and efficient. But it was selfishly in a way to maybe make her feel complimented - ya know - from a guy's perspective and maybe a very brief connection. I admit this. Second, at my age it would be ridiculous for me to even imagine anything more, except in daydreaming. These are momentary thoughts that any guy (or woman for the matter) could have in terms of attraction. It is only God-given nature.

On the other hand I fully realize, and I have faced this when younger, that if I pursued what I may have felt between my loins instead of between my ears. That Is ridiculous at my age, but even at my age I am not without feelings of being human.

So, how do you counter, say if I was in my 20s or 30s or 40s and not toothless and dilapidated phycially...*s*. Well, initial attraction like this Is going to happen. On the other hand you think of the purity of your committment - too sacrad to sacrifice at any age. You think about the pure trust that you never ever want to violate and you think about the effect of violation of that on the one you love. Nothing extraordinary in terms of precautions about this. Just a refection on your lifelong committment to another person. This vs. momentary selfish indulgence.

Humanly we are all 'progrmmed' for an affair, but, we are all capable of fending off selfish interests for the sake of the one we are devoted to. Popular with society (esp. tabloids, talk shows, etc. etc.) no. Popular with our God, yes. Feel 'left out' briefly becuase we did not pursure the what if with another person, yes. Feel we 'missed out' on a possible relationship however brief and certainly a fantasy, yes. Feel the pride and well-being of not undulging in our own self- interests for the sake of our partner and our committment to him/her.. a big YES.

Tom

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Baby steps to hell.

P
OP Offline
P
BUMP !

Baby steps to hell.

This is a great diagram of how WEAK and/or flexible BOUNDARIES lead to very bad decisions.

It did not "Just happen" .... It was baby steps to hell.

P
OP Offline
P
[Linked Image from sivers.org]

Taking that first step that "crosses the line" .....

HOW does the wayward say...

"It just happened."
"It was not planned."

??????

I hope this thread helps to explain "how" that first step can seem innocent .... until it isn't.

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation