Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I recently read this:

we've both had our own friends who listen to us complain about each other
Nooo

Just say Nooo Nooo Nooo

Dr Harley encourages us to complain about our spouse TO OUR SPOUSE, in a non-love busting way, of course.

If we are trying to work on our marriage, and we are not currently dealing with an active adultery situation, we NEED to develop the skills of communicating our likes/dislikes/Un met needs/ etc .... TO OUR SPOUSE!

Furthermore, we need to develop the listening skills of communication by becoming not only tolerant but GRACIOUS when our spouse complains about us TO US.

I think one of the bigger roadblocks to true recovery is CONFLICT AVOIDANCE.

Complaining about our spouse to a friend instead of to our spouse is a huge chicken chit conflict avoidance technique.

Just say Nooo

P
OP Offline
P
OK

Responding to myself .... grin

Does anyone have any recall of any post I've made on MB where I bad mouth my husband?

I don't.
He is not perfect.
He is as flawed as I.

However, I never disrespect him by hanging his dirty laundry out for ridicule.
If his laundry is smelly, I discuss it with HIM.

It's called RADICAL HONESTY people.
And it is followed by POJA.

Please remember, you cannot POJA without honesty.

Thanks for reading ....
kiss

M
M
Thanks, Pep! I've always thought of complaints about our spouse to a friend as disrespectful and even an attack on the marriage, but I've never before realized it was a conflict avoidance technique. Of course, I never realized before MB how important it was to make complaints to our spouse.

Are there any good threads out there about conflict avoidance and why it is such a problem? (If not, could you start one!) I've seen some good threads encouraging people not to be conflict avoiders, but haven't yet seen any discussing exactly why it is such a big issue. I can sort of see why, but it'd be more helpful to have some vets offer specific words on the subject so I can think about it explicitly.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
OP Offline
P

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband

ok, I might have done this to my hubby over on the weekend forum. Dr Harley basically said "knock it off!" dramaqueen

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
BUT....BUT....

I am just VENTING <snort>.

This is another one of those catch phrases that is so overused....much like "closure". MrRollieEyes

committed

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by markos
Thanks, Pep! I've always thought of complaints about our spouse to a friend as disrespectful and even an attack on the marriage, but I've never before realized it was a conflict avoidance technique. Of course, I never realized before MB how important it was to make complaints to our spouse.

Are there any good threads out there about conflict avoidance and why it is such a problem? (If not, could you start one!) I've seen some good threads encouraging people not to be conflict avoiders, but haven't yet seen any discussing exactly why it is such a big issue. I can sort of see why, but it'd be more helpful to have some vets offer specific words on the subject so I can think about it explicitly.

2004 thread about CA , conflict avoidance.
Otherwise known as being lazy in the marriage.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1232134#Post1232134

There may be other threads as well, but I am too LAZY to search for them! rotflmao

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

ok, I might have done this to my hubby over on the weekend forum. Dr Harley basically said "knock it off!" dramaqueen

Mel, in my experience, the premiere PhD conflict avoiders are adult children of alcoholics.

You learn it as a child in order to survive.
Then, as a married adult you are asked to Un-learn years of training by natural selection.

Therefore

"Hey, CUT THAT OUT", is pretty much all you need to know.
rotflmao

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I've seen some good threads encouraging people not to be conflict avoiders, but haven't yet seen any discussing exactly why it is such a big issue.

conflict avoidance.
Otherwise known as being lazy in the marriage.

Ah, that explains it pretty succinctly!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
G
G
I am the Queen of doing this, and I know it. Someday, when we learn some freaking skills, I would love to report that it no longer happens. I want it to be like this!

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
P
OP Offline
P
The most difficult conflict to deal directly with is, the conflict encountered with intimacy.

Intimacy grows as a result of PROPERLY handled conflict.

Intimacy SUFFERS as a result of conflict avoidance.

Think about it.

And talking to friends about any gripes I may have against my H is going to lessen our intimacy.

You know I'm right, don't you?
But, it is scary sometimes to take that leap.

It's like being naked in front of your spouse.
Only, we are talking about being emotionally naked.

It's major.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Gdar
I am the Queen of doing this, and I know it. Someday, when we learn some freaking skills, I would love to report that it no longer happens. I want it to be like this!

Someday?
Are you willing to allow the destruction, putting off until "someday"?

Like Mel said that Dr H said ....

KNOCK IT OFF

M
M

Mel, in my experience, the premiere PhD conflict avoiders are adult children of alcoholics.

Somehow that did not work on me! grin

"Hey, CUT THAT OUT", is pretty much all you need to know.
rotflmao

I can understand and appreciate "knock it off!!"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
My mother was a conflict avoider and I have a strong aversion to them. I saw how damaging it was to our family. Essentially, she ENABLED my father to destroy our family and didn't lift a finger to protect us.

Exposure 101

N
N
ohhhhhhh crap....... banghead

You know I'm right, don't you?
But, it is scary sometimes to take that leap.

yes mame..........again........

Dangit Pep......I had a rough enough week without needing any lessons about ME...... dramaqueen

back to the learnin' board I go.....

Not

ps....thank you

P
OP Offline
P
My mother was a conflict avoider and I have a strong aversion to them. I saw how damaging it was to our family. Essentially, she ENABLED my father to destroy our family and didn't lift a finger to protect us.

I sometimes make a choice to avoid conflict in situations that are not of great importance to me. Even on this forum, I avoid certain characters, because I don't see a need or a gain.
It's no big deal.

Engaging in conflict with a stranger is EASY.

Engaging in conflict with intimacy as a goal, is a whole 'nuther thang......

D
D
blush

Guilty as charged. My thread was nothing BUT airing of dirty laundry for days on end until I started to work things out.

*never mind, I was going to justify but D'oh!

Signed,

Perfect Spouse

BW-me-56
FWH-GreenMile-62
Married 1982
2 wonderful grown sons

D Day #1 4/1985
D Day #2 10/03/08
D Days continued for a while.

Started real recovery 07/15/10
P
OP Offline
P
Somehow that did not work on me!

naughty

Au contraire

G
G
Interesting about the conflict avoiders are daughters of alcoholics. *Raises hand*.

My dad was the biggest conflict avoider I have ever met. He was a workaholic and an alcoholic, so he worked all day, then went to the bar most nights after work. My mom spent her entire 20some year marriage to him terribly neglected. Nothing worked. He refused counseling, he was happy with how things were, so what was HER problem. Terrible. I grew up thinking my mom was an over emotional nag because she was the one speaking up, raising her voice, crying, begging, pleading and my dad never said anything in response. Then it would be silent in my house for 2 solid months, neither speaking to the other. Then they would make up, it would be great for a couple of weeks, then back to the yelling, the silent treatment, etc... I always thought my dad was the "right" one because he never yelled at my mom, never engaged. It was not until I was 20 that I figured it out, when I met my ex H. I knew I did NOT want a M like they had. A H that ignored the W, a W that yells to get her way.

I do not yell. Since I viewed my dad as the stable one, I took on his traits, not my moms. Conflict avoidance and withdrawal were my ways of coping. It did not work out well for me, being that my ex H and I divorced, and I put all of the blame on him. I ended up just like my father. Blech.

Insert H now and he is just like my father. Karma?

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by DancesWithGoats
blush

Guilty as charged. My thread was nothing BUT airing of dirty laundry for days on end until I started to work things out.

*never mind, I was going to justify but D'oh!

Signed,

Perfect Spouse

You were in crisis.
GM was completely nuts at the time.
You got right up in HIS face with your complaints.
Not just on the forum.

Big difference!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation