Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
This NOTABLE POST was written by MarriedForever

HOW TO PLAN B CORRECTLY
This is for those who need to go into Plan B and need quick, concise instructions. There is a lot of confusion on how to go into Plan B and what a correct Plan B actually looks like.

TIMING
~Do not go into Plan B quickly. It takes time to prep for Plan B. I went into Plan B in about 48 hours from the time I discovered we had been in a false recovery, and that�s really the quickest you can expect to be able to do this and do a good job of getting all of your ducks in a row. Except for eating and sleeping, I worked on getting ready for Plan B for those whole 48 hours, too. Prepping for Plan B is CRUCIAL and it takes a lot of TIME. Do not skimp on your planning otherwise it will backfire on you. Once you give that PBL to your WS, you want to be able to stay completely dark.

DETAILS ON HOUSING
~DO NOT worry about where the WS is going to live or how he/she is going to pay for it. This is not the BS�s problem. A WS should never be shielded from the consequences of their affair, and this is indeed a consequence. Only worry about yourself and your children at this point. If the WS was able to carry on in an affair all by him/herself, he/she can certainly figure this out. You have enough to worry about.

INTERMEDIARY (IM)
~Find an IM. There is no substitute for this. Do not underestimate the importance of an IM. Do not think �only� text messages or �only� emails are acceptable. They aren�t. YOU MUST FIND AN IM. It can be a family member, a friend or (best bet) someone from MB. A CLOSE family member (parent or in-law) isn�t recommended ~ they are usually not able to stay neutral enough and if you get into recovery this could be difficult.

IM�s ROLE
~An IM�s sole purpose is to be a SPAM FILTER (Steve Harley�s words), allowing only communication that fits the boundaries set forth in Plan B (i.e., regarding children and finances ONLY). It�s usually recommended that most of the communicating be done via email, that way everything is in writing. Phone calls and text messages are permissible but most find emailing easiest. My IM re-wrote emails between us in her own words in order to avoid any emotional tones/responses.

They do not share any other info the WS sends, regardless of how benign the content. ONLY pertinent info is to be sent through to the BS. The IM is also not to share any info about the BS with the WS. Pertinent info about children and finances only should be passed back and forth.

The IM is to remain neutral...just a messenger sending info on, no reactions.

If the WS sends something inappropriate, the IM is to thank the WS for the communication, but let the WS know it will not be shared with the BS and refer the WS back to the PBL.

If the WS tries to contact the BS in any way, the IM is to tell the WS that the BS has not opened/listened to whatever it is, and the IM is to refer the WS back to the IM for all communication.

CHANGING THE LOCKS ON YOUR HOUSE
~This is very important so that the WS cannot come back into the marital home whenever he/she pleases. I called a locksmith out at about 10:00 pm on a Saturday night, he was very helpful. I didn�t have cash and didn�t want my WH to see on our credit card that I had called a locksmith, so he even followed me to a nearby grocery store to pull money out. He was very accommodating and seemed to understand that I was in trouble.

A second option instead of changing the locks is to simply put a deadbolt on any door to which the WS has a key. Also, if there is a garage door opener with a keypad, the keypad code needs to be changed. If you don�t have a keypad (only openers) and the WS has one, make sure to deadbolt/change the lock on the door between the garage and house. It is legal to change the locks on your own home, so do not be concerned about this.

PLAN B LETTER
~Write a �love letter� to your WS. Mention some particularly good memories the two of you have (vacations, special holiday traditions, silly moments).

Mention how hurt you are over the affair but that you are still willing to try to recover because of the love you have shared in the past. In one brief sentence state that you are not willing to do this until the A is over for good and that when it is, the WS is free to let the IM know and the IM can pass this info on to you.

Tell your WS that the pain is too great to be in contact with them while the A is continuing and because of that, you need to protect yourself.

Close the letter with �I love you and will be praying for you� or something similar.

Curtail the letter to your situation. This is a �love letter� so do not add any specifics on how PB will be carried out ~ those will go in an addendum to your PBL. It�s best if this letter is in your own handwriting rather than typed.

ADDENDUM
~In the addendum will be the logistics of how full NC between the BS and WS will be carried out. Here you will list the drop off and pick up points of children, who will be your IM, how the financial obligations will work. This is NOT part of your PBL, but it WILL be given to the WS when the PBL is delivered.

In the addendum you will also let the WS know that you have packed up all of THEIR personal belongings (no household items) and that the WS's boxes will be left __________ (on the front porch or driveway, second option would be a friend or family member's home) until ________ (usually 2-3 days from the time the letter is given). I packed up all of my H's belongings in about 30 minutes. This shouldn't take long.

IF THE WS ATTEMPTS CONTACT
IGNORE HIM/HER if it comes in the form of a phone call, email, text message, etc. Let the IM know and ask the IM to reiterate to the WS again that all contact MUST go through the IM.

If it�s in person, walk away. My H caught me in our garage one day, he was early picking the kids up and I was not yet locked in the safety of the house. He commented that he liked my new haircut. I smiled and quickly walked in the house. I did NOT talk to him or thank him for the compliment.

P
OP Offline
P
*** LINK *** to discussion about remaining love units for the wayward spouse during a dark Plan B.

MarriedForever says:
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
IMO the best thing a hurting BS can do to help quell the pain is to a.) avoid getting ANY intel about the WS ~ good OR bad and b.) keep very, very busy.

P
OP Offline
P
This shall now and forever be known as

Plan B like a MF'er would.

rotflmao

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband

rotflmao

LOL!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
P
OP Offline
P

rotflmao

LOL!
kiss

I thought about "that" as my thread title, but did not think it would pass the mod-approval.

LOL

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/10/11 11:03 AM.
M
M
Same to you, my friend!

hug

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

P
OP Offline
P
BUMP

P
OP Offline
P
rcoaster

M
M
hug for Pep!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

P
OP Offline
P
hug for Pep!

Thanks, babe. kiss
Do me a favor.
I'm going in for a procedure Tuesday.
Pray for me.
Thanks.

S
S
Sending thoughts and prayers your way, Pep!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
L
L
Me too....

M
M
hug for Pep!

Thanks, babe. kiss
Do me a favor.
I'm going in for a procedure Tuesday.
Pray for me.
Thanks.

Absolutely! Thanks for letting us know so that we can be praying! Please keep us posted.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

B
B
Pep or MarriedForever,

What about if you can't get the WS to leave? I've called the cops and they told me I can't force him out of our house because his name is on it. So I will have to leave with the kids, correct? There's no other way to do Plan B? I've read a few threads where the spouses are in the same house and in Plan B but I don't see the benefit.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Pep or MarriedForever,

What about if you can't get the WS to leave? I've called the cops and they told me I can't force him out of our house because his name is on it. So I will have to leave with the kids, correct? There's no other way to do Plan B? I've read a few threads where the spouses are in the same house and in Plan B but I don't see the benefit.

If the spouse is in the same house, they are not in Plan B. The way you get him out is to file for divorce and get him legally removed. If you can't do that, I would move out and put your house up for sale.

Most spouses will move out if asked. I take it yours refuses? Have you created holy hell in his affair?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Yes I raised holy hell and as far as I can verify no more contact but he isn't taking EP to make me feel safe and so I've been advised to go to Plan B.

He said he will NOT move out. I've written Dr. Harley and Joyce to ask if Plan B is the correct path for me.

He said he has EP put in place and we have about 25 hours of UA and now even work at the same place.

So I'm not sure what to do and I've been looking for places for me and DD to go.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
I'll respond on your thread so this one doesn't get mucked up.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M
One thing I find about Plan B is something called "Going through the motion"

Okay BS get up out of bed and get kids to school (survived first hour)

Okay BS get to work, get busy with this, that, and this

Okay BS pick yourself off the couch and get to gym, okay BS walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes, okay you made it 20 BS, keep going another 20 minutes.

Okay BS put the hamburger in the cast iron and brown. Okay BS add the sauce and feed your kids.

Okay BS brush your teeth, take a shower, read your Bible BS.

My point is throughout the day especially when I first started Plan B I was literally just going through the motion of the day. I had to tell myself what to do next. I had to just pry myself out of bed, off the couch, away from pictures, etc. and force an action.

Somedays are still like that - step away from MB BS, go to the gym now.

It is getting easier to put my WH out of my mind. I know now one day I will look at this as either my recovery for my current marriage, or as a recovery for a new marriage.

My only goal in life is to be a wife and mother.

M
M
itstoughlove, that is an awesome post! It epitomizes the premise of bring the body the mind will follow! When I have been in extreme states of grief in my past, this is how I had to approach my life. I had to mechanically force myself to go through the motions until my grief wore off.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
BUMP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 426 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation