Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2587490 01/19/12 06:21 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
I have remarked that RAGE has come to be, unfairly, treated as anathema in the modern, oh-so-genteel, society. Rage, kept within controls, is a powerful tool and motivator. I foopin' guarantee, that if RAGE was more generally accepted, the incidence of the weak-livered, tremulous BH, teetering at, and dithering about, the performance, even after understanding the necessity, of a correct exposure would just about disappear. (I do recall, during one of our first counselling sessions, my bride foggily saying that she thought that if I discovered, and objected(!), to her actions, I would approach her with my concerns quietly, and discuss them. At which point I asked her specifically WHEN in my life I had ever behaved � la David Niven or Noel Coward! The fog lifted VERY fast!)

Pepperband #2587494 01/19/12 06:23 PM
P
OP Offline
P
From my online dictionary

rage

noun
violent, uncontrollable anger

verb
feel or express violent uncontrollable anger

Pepperband #2587497 01/19/12 06:24 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by NG
Rage, kept within controls

My question:

Is there such an animal?

Last edited by Pepperband; 01/19/12 06:38 PM.
Pepperband #2587514 01/19/12 06:36 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I know that whenever I have been 'in a rage' I was most definitely out of control.
The night I punched my husband in the jaw.
What I did next was ~~~> exit stage left.
Because I knew I would hit him again if I stayed near him.
I left, and was gone for 2 nights.

I actually agree with you to a point.
My 'rage' and my 'outrage' made a definite point/impression on my wayward.
MY wayward.

I have not earned the right to rage at another person't spouse. That's my opinion.

Thanks, NG.

Pepperband #2587518 01/19/12 06:42 PM
N
N
Merriam-Webster, right?

I'd think we'll waste our time playing semantic games here. If rage MUST have violence to your satisfaction, then I'll let you substitute any phrase that extends the emotion being discussed beyond "highly vexed"!

But, I would point out that examples given in your choice of online dictionary include the following. None of them seem to necessarily point to someone picking up a machete or chainsaw!

Examples of RAGE

Her note to him was full of rage. ("Violent" handwriting?)
He was shaking with rage. (Exercising that "control" I mandated.)
She was seized by a murderous rage. (No reference to her yielding to it, though)
His rages rarely last more than a few minutes. (Phew! Enough time to wipe the spattered blood off the ceiling!!)

NeverGuessed #2587521 01/19/12 06:44 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Actually, this is helpful to hear what use of the word rage you are using.

NeverGuessed #2587522 01/19/12 06:47 PM
M
M
NG, the problem is that many of the BHs you reference only act when they are enraged because they are too wimpy to make a decision to act. Rage is a form of insanity. When I am angry I am INSANE. My judgment is impaired.

But when I am calm I can make rational decisions and take action.

The problem comes in when a person simply REFUSES to take action unless they are enraged. As a result, they make stupid, crazy mistakes like you and I have done. I was in a RAGE when I beat up my husband and crashed into his truck. I was INSANE.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

NeverGuessed #2587524 01/19/12 06:49 PM
M
M
Examples of RAGE

She was seized by a murderous rage. (No reference to her yielding to it, though)
His rages rarely last more than a few minutes. (Phew! Enough time to wipe the spattered blood off the ceiling!!)

My definition of rage does not include violence necessarily, but an insanity that overcomes me. My judgement goes out the window when it comes on. It is the curse of my life.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Pepperband #2587527 01/19/12 06:53 PM
H
H
Rage is a feeling of intense anger. It is associated with the Fight-or-flight response and oftentimes activated in response to an external cue, such as the murder of a loved one. The phrase, 'thrown into a fit of rage,' expresses the immediate nature of rage that occurs before deliberation. If left unchecked rage may lead to violence. Depression and anxiety lead to an increased susceptibility to rage and there are modern treatments for this emotional pattern.

Of course, I love the physiology;

Rage occurs when oxytocin, vasopressin, and corticotropin-releasing hormone are rapidly released from the hypothalamus. This results in the pituitary gland producing and releasing large amounts of the adrenocorticotropic hormone, which causes the adrenal cortex to release corticosteroids. This chain reaction occurs when faced with a threatening situation.[3]

I think the intention is a call to action, rather than surrender to fear. Like the idea of righteous anger.

Yet, where this discussion comes from, Pep - you and I are on the same page after admitting to the same sin; we followed our peers.

"That's just the way we do things around here."

We have found it unacceptable for ourselves to continue to do things in this fashion.

Glad to know I'm not alone. Danke.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
MelodyLane #2587571 01/19/12 08:35 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
My definition of rage does not include violence necessarily, but an insanity that overcomes me. My judgement goes out the window when it comes on. It is the curse of my life.

Thank you dear girl.
Thank you.

MelodyLane #2587622 01/19/12 09:51 PM
N
N
many of the BHs...only act when they are enraged because they are too wimpy to make a decision to act

You DO realize that you're making my argument for me, right? The emotion-neutering that we live under today has inured us from experiencing emotions that were vital to our survival and growth, individually and societally. The straightjacket of "proper" responses today seemingly has no place for something as "crass" as exposure. Yet compare what might have been the cuckhold's response to discovering his mate's infidelity as recently as 300 years ago. Exposure? She have been lucky not to have been BRANDED, and returned to her family's "care" as a token of breaking the marriage contract. And the POSOM? Better not to know!

Now, BH worries that if he speaks the TRUTH about her actions, she'll be the one ENRAGED. Why? Because performing exposure is twisted to be some form of "revenge", and "vengeance" is another one of the proscribed primitive emotions.

Anyway, good talk, colleagues.

NeverGuessed #2587626 01/19/12 09:57 PM
M
M
I cannot imagine that Dr. Harley would condone rage as a tool for marital recovery or dealing with any other problem, or as having a place in modern civilized society.

His wording on a radio show in 2006 was "When you are angry, you are relying on animal instinct. You are like a raccoon. Don't be a raccoon!"

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2587627 01/19/12 09:58 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Reptilian brain.

Pepperband #2587628 01/19/12 09:59 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Reptilian brain.

rotflmao

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Pepperband #2587629 01/19/12 10:00 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Imagine advocating rage when discussing how to deal with a child who is acting out???? !!!! shocked

NeverGuessed #2587631 01/19/12 10:01 PM
M
M
The emotion-neutering that we live under today has inured us from experiencing emotions that were vital to our survival and growth, individually and societally.

NG, have you heard what Dr. Harley says about angry outbursts on the radio show? Have you read the Angry Outbursts chapter in Love Busters?

You are a great Marriage Builders poster, but I think you have an oversight here and can really improve your coaching skills with a little bit of comparing what you have to say with the good doctor.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Prisca #2587632 01/19/12 10:02 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Prisca
Reptilian brain.

rotflmao

Google it.

markos #2587633 01/19/12 10:04 PM
M
M
Dr. Harley does not advocate demands, disrespect, or anger in response to an affair at all, with only one exception: a demand that the affair END.

He has told betrayed husbands on the private forum and the radio not to express any judgment toward their wayward wives at all. Let alone anger!

Certainly I think he UNDERSTANDS these responses, but he strongly encourages people to AVOID these approaches, because they are self-destructive and make the problem WORSE. When you are angry, whatever it is you are thinking to do is the wrong thing to do.

All of the strong actions that need to be taken to combat an affair are to be taken in calm, controlled, rational manner. We don't help anybody by encouraging them to go into a rage.

markos #2587637 01/19/12 10:08 PM
P
P
Examples of RAGE

These all sound like Angry Outbursts ...

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Pepperband #2587640 01/19/12 10:08 PM
H
H
Reptilian brain.

IOW; see the previously posted biochemical pathway of rage. All of those neurotransmitters have a very specific physiological response. Emotion are not just "emotional," they are physical.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation