Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
To keep from t/j Scotland's thread and since I started the question.

What do you do at special events in Plan B?. Also do we have anything on what Dr. Harley has said? Clips? Articles?
reading you said this
Originally Posted by reading
My thoughts....funerals depend on the relationship to the deceased.
If the wayward is 'closer' related, the betrayed could skip it. If the betrayed is 'closer' then the wayward could not be invited.
If they are both equally close due to whatever reason.....betrayed could skip it if they know wayward is going. Then, offer to visit the deceased's family at another time.

HTMS.....

lol on Scotland's thread being the meeting place of the discussion. Maybe we could have a separate thread in notables?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
I asked this.
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Scotty,

How do you handle school functions in Plan B? We have a poster about to go into Plan B and has a pre-school graduation coming up.

Thanks in advance.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Scotty gave me this.
Originally Posted by Scotland
My WH isn't told about the functions. If he were to ever be in the same place as me, I would leave. I have advised those in the past to have an exit strategy. ie. have someone else be responsible for taking children home from events, in case the BS needs to make a quick exit, and have someone record the event so the BS can enjoy the moment with the child at a later time. While it may not be "fair" for the BS to miss events, during PB, it is VERY important for the emotional well being and healing of the BS.

I take my PB seriously. A HUGE part of me started this because I would want Bampot to take recovery seriously, so I was leading by example. I would NEVER accept an excuse for contact with OW if recovery were to begin, so I MUST hold myself to the same standard during my PB.

Things have changed in my life. I miss school functions, and trips that happen during the day. I have missed parent-teacher interviews because of work. The boys have had to be home alone while I was still at work. After being available any time during the day, and knowing that another parent would be with them when I wasn't able to, this was a HUGE adjustment. It was also very necessary. And I had to deal with the guilty feelings over it. The thing that most helped me was the knowledge that had I not entered PB, my children's life(and my own) would be filled with much more turmoil and drama. There was never any question to me as to which path I needed to choose. It wasn't easy. It wasn't fair. But it was RIGHT.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Originally Posted by Caracal
What about funerals the BS wants to attend? What are Plan B'ers thoughts?

This is why its so important for people to step up and support the BS. They cause serious pain and the people around the BS should know this and exclude the WS.

I get what reading is saying, that there may be events so important and so unavoidable where you need to get ADd up and just cope with the triggers afterward. I wouldn't, but that's me.

But wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where betrayal was taken seriously and active betrayers shunned? There's no way someone violent would be welcomed into as many functions as a wayward is.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
H
Posting this for consideration and feedback.

I understand the importance of Plan B to protect BS and give WS taste of life without their spouse etc. My concern is the children, they are the ones that seem to loose if they cannot have their parents attend their special events. It appears to be a case of impact on the children vs setback for BS. What if the event was your child's wedding, no parent would want to miss that. Affairs certainly change the playing field of fairness in life. Such devastation for a fantasy.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
S
S
There has been discussions about weddings in the past. I would hope that my child wouldn't invite the affair partners to celebrate their wedding day, as they have no respect for marriage, which is shown through their own actions. If my child did want their father to attend their wedding, I would need to decline. Both of my parents weren't at my wedding, because of life events at the time. There was a peace bond against my father, filed by 2 of my uncles, and I had already invited my uncles, so I gave my mother the choice. She chose not to attend, and I don't hold it against her. I would hope that my child understood my reasons for avoiding such an event.

In a couple of years, I will be dealing with Grade 8 grad for my eldest. Small school, so no possible way to avoid, even if I intended to. If my WH decides he wants to attend, I won't. It will hurt, but that would be my choice.

My eldest son had oral surgery last summer. My WH was told that it was happening on a certain date, but not exactly where and when. And after the surgery, my son called my WH to tell him that he was okay. My son also has been excelling at track and field, even going to district finals. He tells his father about it after the fact.

It works for me. It keeps me sane. My children understand, and they are only 9 and 11. They know that I don't speak or see their father, and they understand why. I explain that it is too painful for me to see him. It hurts my heart.

I think that when your children see you go day to day without contact with the WS, and they see how you are handling things, they understand what the difference is. Remember, as much as you think they didn't know things were rough before, they did. And they both saw my transition into Plan B, and how much better I am in it.

I guess it's just the honesty I have with them. They know that I love them, but that sometimes, you need to protect yourself from the behaviour of others. I hope this makes sense. Muppet brain and all. wink

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Originally Posted by happyfuture66
I understand the importance of Plan B to protect BS and give WS taste of life without their spouse etc. My concern is the children, they are the ones that seem to loose if they cannot have their parents attend their special events. It appears to be a case of impact on the children vs setback for BS.

That is exactly right. Plan B is for the children. It is in the childrens best interest that the parents DON'T see each other because sightings typically throw the BS back into turmoil. We have seen blow ups at funerals, sports games, awards banquets and even cathecisms! The kids will remember all the stress and trauma of both parents being there. I will just tell you that many of the folks I have IMed for, report that their children greatly appreciate it when the WS does not come to their events.

So it is in the child's best interest for the parent to do her best to avoid the WS at his events.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Funny this has come up now, because just this week, the child [age 13] of someone I am IMing for was devastated when she found out her adulterer father was coming to her awards banquet. She texted him and asked him not to come! [he didn't come]

See, kids hate the tension.

Question: if I decide to do a full Plan B, what do I do when we attend the same children's activities? Soccer games, band concerts, plays, etc. are all part of our lives. Do I ignore him completely? Is it okay to smile and wave? Do we sit together or what?
FYI, I have a mediator in mind, but I'm just not emotionally read to Plan B him yet. But I'm getting there.

Edited by stilllovemyman (01/27/08 03:18 PM)

Dr. Harley
Administrator

Reged: 11/16/00
Re: Plan B Advice Needed [Re: stilllovemyman]
#3389429 - 01/28/08 06:40 AM

stilllovemyman: Read my answer to "What Now!" by NZJ in the Questions about Infidelity section of the MBW Forum. It probably applies to your situation.

About 95% of affairs die a natural death within 2 years of discovery. And 70% of those 5% that survive to marriage end in divorce. Even the 30% of the 5% (1.5%) are not all happy marriages. So the odds of your husband finding happiness with his present lover is so unlikely that it's safe to say that his affair is the worst mistake of his life. But because you're married to him, it's the worst mistake of your life, too. And you didn't do anything to deserve it.

Your best plan of action right now is plan B. And you will have to make it air-tight to keep you sane. Otherwise, every casual contact, even at your children's events, is likely to take a terrible toll on your mental and physical health.

Some day, your husband may come out of the fog. And he may be ready to win you back to him again. But I would encourage you to avoid hoping for that outcome. In fact, try to avoid thinking of him at all. Start going down a new path that does not include him in any way. There's nothing more that you can do to encourage him to do the right thing. All you're left with now is to try to protect yourself from future suffering. And that means having absolutely nothing to do with your husband, possibly for the rest of your life.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
The REASON that Plan B is necessary is so that the BS does not have a nervous breakdown. Many have nervous breakdowns and suffer years of post traumatic stress disorder.

When my brother had an affair, his wife had a nervous breakdown and had to be hospitalized. Their son, an autistic boy, went to live with my brother and his OW.

In other words, the children are the greatest beneficiaries of Plan B because it protects the mental health of their ONLY sane parent. They benefit from an air-tight Plan B as much as the BS. When a BS breaks Plan B, it throws her right back into a state of emotional duress. That is not good for the stability of the child's home life.

There is no sports game, school banquet, etc, that is worth all that.

Exposure 101

H
H
Scotty & ML I see where you are coming from. I guess I struggle with this because pre affair we had a good marriage, did lots of things together as a family and our kids struggled with affair & separation. They miss the family and have always enjoyed having both parents at events.. I just hate this has been taken from them all for a selfish fantasy.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
M
M
Scotty & ML I see where you are coming from. I guess I struggle with this because pre affair we had a good marriage, did lots of things together as a family and our kids struggled with affair & separation. They miss the family and have always enjoyed having both parents at events.. I just hate this has been taken from them all for a selfish fantasy.

We know... frown But it is a completely different dynamic now and the sooner you adjust to it, the better they will adjust.

Exposure 101

H
H
Sad but true. frown

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12

J
J
Okay, to thread jack the spin off of the thread jack faint

Let's talk about me! blush

Okay, so in my sitch, stbx initiated an emotional affair, at which point, I found out, and contact ceased (although I stopped monitoring a couple of months ago...just don't care much anymore, I guess). He's filed for divorce and seems set on it, I'm now moving out with the kids (don't want to keep the house). As far as Plan B to end an affair, I don't think there is one to end. As far as it for my personal recovery...I'm not sure if I'll need forever. But I also don't want the new life I will have in recovery to be jeopardized by sacrificing things I do want to do to avoid him. Does that make sense? Here's what I wrote on my thread:

Church...yes, he goes as well. Pretty much every week. But I actually have a job there, teaching a second hour kids activity, and I also really, really need the support network of church and church friends to support my life as a single mother. Other than work, it's my main social outlet. And my closest family is 450 miles away, so having a support network is huge.

I read what Scotty wrote with, well, awe. I just don't know if I could do that. It is already so painful to give up time with my child, something which I am forced to do because of the impending divorce, and the idea is just so hard to take. Would I be willing to give up on school functions to implement a perfect plan B? Honestly, I don't think I could. Partly for me, and partly for my kids. Because as much as I want to show them my value in marriage, I don't want them to feel the pain of it any more than the pain they are already feeling, and I don't want them to feel any "less than" loved. Maybe it's something I should write Dr. Harley about...an update to my old radio show, and more info about Plan B in this type of situation (when it's not to kill an active affair, but to protect the BS and love bank balance).

Also, I think I'm informed a little bit in this by my relationship with my ex. He married his affair partner, and for a long time I had pretty much no contact with him, very very little anyway. It was very helpful for my recovery and I did "get over" him in pretty much all ways. But I also know that now I can see him, talk to him, interact with him...and it has no effect on me whatsoever. I only see him a few times a year, when we exchange the kids, and talk to him maybe every other month (at most) by phone, maybe occasional emails...always kid related. And other than surprise at how he looks older, or whether he's gained or lost weight, I have to say I've erased almost every feeling for him (and most of my memories, even). So, I'd rather get to that state of indifference than to a state of absolute and perpetual plan B that punishes my kids and myself. If that makes sense.

But...I think a period of no contact would be good, healing for me and firm about not meeting any of ex's emotional needs. Maybe I should plan to start it when I know we have no more school functions or reasons we'd have to interact, and plan a month long hiatus from church, etc? After 5/20 would work...maybe I should think about doing that. That's after our mediation, my son's preschool graduation, and the church end of school year service.

Me, BS: 35
WxH: 36 "HAM" Hearts a mess
6yo DS (with WxH), 9 and 12yo DDs from first marriage
Discovered DH's affair in June, 2011
"I'm not having an affair, you're crazy." major gaslighting
Served with divorce papers on 2/3/12
Divorce final 7/29/2013
Living day by day, counting my blessings, loving my children
Personal Recovery well underway!
I
I
Jennifer, by remaining in contact with WXH, even 'light' contact where you probably just heard news of his life etc, he will have bust your lovebank down piece by piece.

I imagine there was quite a bit a drama surrounding the news of him for a while, yes? News that hurt you?

Anyway, it is this reason why you feel 'nothing' now. He emptied your love bank during that period where every time you thought 'god, he's an [censored]' another piece was bust out the lovebank. (though keep in mind that there is always a lovebank still there and any ex lovebank can be reignited or rebuilt in the right circumstances, even if you feel less than nothing which is why you should never have contact with an ex)

What Im hearing from you is that you'd like to skip the rather more painful drama bit, and go straight to the nonchalance stage, where you can be around him on those occasions where its convenient.

If you understand the lovebank model, you'll see why this is impossible. A lovebank will never disappear on its own. Not even over time.

If you stay in any contact, even 'light' contact the lovebank is destroyed piece by piece, painfully. This of course destroys any chance of marital revocery and also puts a huge delay on personal recovery. Rather a high price to pay for nonchalance.

If you 'go dark', the love bank is frozen due to inactivity. It's there, it can be reactivated, but you dont feel it while dark. It gets locked in the vault and can only be reawoken by the WS.

Now if you were to try the first plan, (known on here as Plan FU) after first trying Plan B, you would soon discover that the frozen love bank is reawoken by activity.

But not in a good way. The full lovebank would still be there, having been protected in Plan B, ready for the WS to tear apart piece by piece.

It's easier to just stay dark forever.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
My concern is the children, they are the ones that seem to loose if they cannot have their parents attend their special events.

Children of a wayward have already lost. The best they can typically hope for is not to see the wayward again and go on with their lives with what is left of their family (siblings and faithful parent).

After I got away from my wayward mother I was glad she did not come to my events. Escape was what allowed me to heal from the trauma she had caused. I lose every time I see her again. Every so often she sends me a card or something, and when I see it, I lose, at least for a minute until I discard it. Even years after escape, I was terrified that she would crash my wedding, and secretly asked a few men to serve as bouncers in case she should show up.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I just hate this has been taken from them all for a selfish fantasy.

I know. It would be wonderful if you could fix all that for them. But only he can do that.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
A
I cancelled my wedding in early 2010. I'm married on paper but had no church ceremony or reception. My mother had her affair (after 32 years of marriage to my father) a few months before and I was so bitter about it that I didn't have much faith in it anymore, and I didn't even want to approach the politics of choosing.

Funny enough, she didn't invite me to her own wedding to this OM. She invited nobody except his family. I see photos of her in a white dress and can't help but find it a complete farce (her divorce was final 3 weeks before).

C
C
This is a great thread for us Plan B'ers. I am amazed at the strength and insight of fellow Plan B'ers. We ROCK!

I have already raised funerals and appreciate reading's response. I am macarbrely raising an anticipated issue... I would prefer to be prepared.

In my sitch, I do not know if WH is in the country or not.

One of WH's relatives is ill, terminally so. Sadly, it is just a matter of time. He is in his 80's and has been battling for years.

Having spoken to my parents, should the time come, they intend to go to the funeral. They have had contact with him throughout WH's and my marriage, usually attending annual family Christmas events. Having been out of the country, I have not seen this man for about 6 years. I have not had any contact whilst out of the country, or since I returned given our separation.

Prior to leaving Australia, WH and I had regular contact with him. I always greatly admired and respected him. I still do, and it hurts that I no longer feel I can contact him to support him and his wife.

I feel it is right to pay my respects. He had a positive influence on my life and is a great man. But I have no intention of breaking Plan B by exposing myself to WH and potentially OW.

Sooo, when funerals arise in my sitch, should I go in the hope WH is not there, and leave if he is?

Or break Plan B by contacting relatives and enquiring if WH is attending?

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
R
R
I think you should write the man a card with a message about how you are thinking about him and he has been important in your life would be nice. I wouldn't mention anything about your marriage but about one on one examples of bonding with the man.

Heartfelt. Classy. Supportive but not pulling him into the drama.

Then, skip the funeral when it comes down the line and light a candle for him to acknowledge his life would be nice.

Funerals are for the living, you know.

H
H
Originally Posted by markos
My concern is the children, they are the ones that seem to loose if they cannot have their parents attend their special events.

Children of a wayward have already lost. The best they can typically hope for is not to see the wayward again and go on with their lives with what is left of their family (siblings and faithful parent).

After I got away from my wayward mother I was glad she did not come to my events. Escape was what allowed me to heal from the trauma she had caused. I lose every time I see her again. Every so often she sends me a card or something, and when I see it, I lose, at least for a minute until I discard it. Even years after escape, I was terrified that she would crash my wedding, and secretly asked a few men to serve as bouncers in case she should show up.

Markos, I have only just read your reply. Thank you for your insight and sharing your own experience, this certainly helps put into perspective what is in the best interests of the children. I really appreciate your reply.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation