Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I will stay vigilant regarding her external relationships. The first hurdle will be to get her to really honestly focus on the "homework" at the start of this. Even though I've been married to her for 8 years, with all of these problems, I can't honestly say I know all of her Emotional Needs or Love Busters.

If I can learn these things, I will pour everything I have into filling these needs in a way that I also enjoy.

For anyone that came back from not loving your SO, what were your first positive experiences with this program? What was the first sensation of a Love Deposit?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
7 month A revealed 12/31/14 (OM ended it)
M
M
Originally Posted by Lou519
I will stay vigilant regarding her external relationships.

Does she have male friends? Tell us about these.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I have access to her phone. I have access to her e-mail. There is one male acquaintance she's had for 2-3 months from her school, and she has been upfront the whole time. I have seen their texts. I have not seen anything worrisome. She hasn't spoken with her ex's in over a decade (which are pretty much her high school boyfriends).

The only regular people she talks to personally are family and 3 or 4 of her girlfriends, none of whom even live in our area anymore. The only exception is the guy from school, and I have seen their conversations and she has told me about him. She has encouraged me to meet him and his wife and kids so we can actually have friends in a similar situation again. I 100% believe that nothing is going on.

Is it so impossible that she simply tried to hide or run from her feelings for years before finally realizing that it wasn't working? And keep in mind, she didn't come out and say, "I want a divorce". She said we deserve to try to fix it, although right now she does not believe it is fixable.

I would arrange to drop in at school some day by surprise and see how their relationship looks in person. From what you've described here, she is already engaging in intimate conversation with this man. EVERYTHING you are describing here is a red flag. NOTHING you mention makes it any less likely that this is an affair.

Do not take the focus off of the affair and put it onto meeting emotional needs. That doesn't work.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I can't honestly say I know all of her Emotional Needs
Focus on the 4 intimate emotional needs -- affection, Intimate Conversation, recreational companionship, and sexual fulfillment. These are the emotional needs that make people fall in love.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
There is one male acquaintance she's had for 2-3 months from her school, and she has been upfront the whole time. I have seen their texts. I have not seen anything worrisome.
Why is she texting with this guy?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
They mainly text regarding class assignments. This MBA class is almost entirely group oriented. You are in the same group of 4-5 people for the entire 1 year program, taking all of the core classes together (the entire cohort has to take those classes together). He is in her group. And they are the two "leaders" of the group - i.e. when there is a group paper due, they ensure that everyone has equal work and all of the work will cover the assignment.

Like I said, the majority of the texts are class-oriented, and the remainder aren't flirty in any way, just brief updates on other things that are going on (nothing intensely personal, just like "how is Atlanta?" since one knows the other is in Atlanta for business). And the texts are not daily. In fact, they sometimes go a week or more without texts. She never runs off with her phone, and she never tries to hide it from me. I will keep a close eye, and I will ask her again how exactly she feels when she talks to him. I understand that even though nothing physical may be going on, she could be growing closer just through conversation meeting her needs. And I understand that our program will have no hope if that continues.

I'm sure you think I have my head the in sand, but I'm not trying to, anyway. I have checked her phone and her e-mail before without her knowing.

Perhaps I should ask her to limit the personal texts with him?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Don't ask her how she feels when she talks to him. As MelodyLane explained, that kind of thing will never get you an honest answer if she has feelings for him, and will offend her if she doesn't.

M
M
I am very confident she is not having an affair. That is not just my feeling that she would "never do that to me". I have asked questions and investigated. She does not work odd hours. She is always home when she is not at work or in class.
Work and class provide plenty of opportunity for pursuing an affair. Don't assume it can't be happening based on the notion that she doesn't have the time.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Why does she communicate with him about non-class related things? Colleagues in business or school ought to stick to business or school.

M
M
Lou, it sounds like Dr. Harley and his wife Joyce read your question on the Marriage Builders Radio show today. Take a listen to the rebroadcast and see what they said.

P
P
Like I said, the majority of the texts are class-oriented, and the remainder aren't flirty in any way, just brief updates on other things that are going on (nothing intensely personal, just like "how is Atlanta?" since one knows the other is in Atlanta for business).
This is very suspicious. "How is Atlanta?" is, indeed, a personal question. She is getting her need for conversation met by this man.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, I will listen to that later. It looks like it is always streaming, so I'll just need to listen to the whole hour to find it?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Prisca
This is very suspicious. "How is Atlanta?" is, indeed, a personal question. She is getting her need for conversation met by this man.

So what should I do?

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca

So what should I do?

I think you need to get some software on her phone/PC and get more exact information about what is going on. I also think you need to show up unannounced at school one day. I also think you should get a VAR (voice activated recorder) and GPS in her car and find out exactly where all she goes.

P
P
You need to know what she's doing with this guy when she thinks you aren't looking.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

F
F
Thanks, I will listen to that later. It looks like it is always streaming, so I'll just need to listen to the whole hour to find it?

Or if you have a smart phone you can download the radio app and fast forward / rewind to find it that way.

It's available for iPhone and And Android

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
L
Lou519 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the support. I feel really iffy snooping on her like that, especially GPS. Like I said, I have access to her texts and emails. I have her password. I have been watching. I am conflicted because I feel strongly if anything, she is just getting a conversational need filled. But I feel like that should stop while we're going through this.

Prisca, if I may ask, how did you feel throughout the process? What were your thoughts when he told you about it (assuming he researched it and started it)? How did it feel early on when he engaged in these conversations with you while you didn't love him? How did your emotions start to change? How long did it take? Right now I am bothering her with my conversations, but they definitely aren't fulfilling her emotional needs, only mine (I am looking for comfort because am absolutely crushed right now).

D2
Me 30
W 30
ILYBNILWY 6/1/14
Separated 7/31/14
G
G
Lou,

There is also good news if there is an affair or not you should be able to re-establish romantic love in your marriage.

Read up on this website and some of the MB books.

You may have to accept that your W never really loved you and that you have to start from almost zero again in the romance department.

That was one of the things my W after I had blundered into MB, was that she never felt the same about me for the 20+ years of our marriage after her pre-marriage affair with OM2. It's not easy to swallow all the wasted years.

God Bless
Gamma

M
M
Thanks for the support. I feel really iffy snooping on her like that, especially GPS.

To bring this around, you are going to have to do some things you don't feel like doing, regardless of how you feel about it, and regardless of how your wife feels about it. Like Prisca said, you need to find out what she's doing with this guy when she thinks you aren't watching.

Prisca, if I may ask, how did you feel throughout the process?

She hated it and she fought me tooth and nail and she did everything she could possibly do to make me stop.

How did your emotions start to change?

You are getting way ahead of yourself. Anyway, the "how" is described in Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts and explanation of the Love Bank.

How long did it take?

Felt like forever. It certainly didn't start changing before the truth of the affair was revealed.

Now, back to doing what you need to do - get that GPS.

Right now I am bothering her with my conversations, but they definitely aren't fulfilling her emotional needs, only mine

Actually, if those conversations aren't full of demands, disrespect, or anger, they are making love bank deposits. She won't like that while your balance in her love bank is negative, because she doesn't like you. But they are still making deposits, so don't stop.

His Needs Her Needs describes four friends of good conversation and four enemies of good conversation. You should review all eight of these daily, and practice the four friends and avoiding the four enemies daily. Spend fifteen hours a week doing this.

M
M
Have you listened to the show yet?

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 870 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation