Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2817581 08/29/14 08:23 AM
P
pjar Offline OP
OP Offline
P
What are your thoughts on the practice that some couples are doing of getting divorced for financial reasons? This topic has been raised to us recently & I find it pretty disturbing.

M
M
Originally Posted by pjar
What are your thoughts on the practice that some couples are doing of getting divorced for financial reasons? This topic has been raised to us recently & I find it pretty disturbing.

It sounds like those people place their finances before their marriage. And anything that comes before the marriage will eventually tear it apart.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B

I find it disturbing too. Not sure what tax issues are being raised, but for every tax benefit of being single there is usual a tax disadvantage of being single. Income taxes vs estate tax...being two possible good and bad. Either way IMO it is a screwed up reason to get divorced.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
What are your thoughts on the practice that some couples are doing of getting divorced for financial reasons?

That is not much of a marriage when it is cheapened to be less important than taxes. And like blackraven said, I don't know what disadvantages there are to filing married versus single. Usually the married person has the advantage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

On the whole married people are more financially successful than single people.

People will make up an excuse to do what they want to do, but this one isn't even a good excuse.

Now, if somebody were actually talking to me about this, I wouldn't put it that way, because it would be disrespectful. As someone who wants to save marriages, I would want to know more about their marital situation. I would want them to consider other solutions to their problems, as well as the problems divorce would bring. I would probably encourage them to read Dr. Harley's book Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders, which shows a lot of the differences between married Buyers and living-together Renters. A couple that would get divorced "for financial reasons" is clear a Renter couple - married Renter couples is pretty much an epidemic in our society.

As someone who wants to save marriages and help better the culture around me, I would like to try to persuade such a couple to consider adopting the Buyer's agreement. That's a really tricky thing to do, and it probably wouldn't succeed - but I'd give it a shot.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
K
K
The title of your thread says "divorce for tax purposes," and the question in your post says "divorced for financial reasons."

I can think of two situations for getting divorced for tax or financial reasons.

Tax: If a couple has been living together for a while but not married, and they decide to split up, they have to pay gains tax on any joint property or investments they decide to split. Partners in a marriage who decide to divorce and split property/investments don't have to pay tax on their share until they later sell the property.

It might be better for an unmarried couple in such a situation to "get married" solely for the purpose of then getting divorced in order to avoid a tax hit.

Financial: The second situation is where one spouse has a spending addiction. Just like alcohol or any other addiction, a spending addiction can ruin a marriage. If the addicted spouse is unwilling to seek help, the other spouse may need to divorce in order to protect themselves financially.

M
M
Hotblack Desiato once spent a year dead for tax reasons, which makes about as much sense.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
What are your thoughts on the practice that some couples are doing of getting divorced for financial reasons?

That is not much of a marriage when it is cheapened to be less important than taxes. And like blackraven said, I don't know what disadvantages there are to filing married versus single. Usually the married person has the advantage.

There have been people throughout history who viewed marriage so sacred that they married in secret, often under penalty of death.

H
H
Originally Posted by markos
Hotblack Desiato once spent a year dead for tax reasons, which makes about as much sense.

You, sir, win the internet. Besides, it costs a lot of money to send a ship into the nearest star as part of your concert.

Anyway - just guessing here - but there are some shady reasons to divorce tax-wise.

For instance; my wife could get a large tax return were she a "single" mother of three, because her yearly earnings would be under the poverty level - vs our combined income which is 3 brackets up. If we perjured we could louse the system and make some minor, ill-gotten, financial gains.

I know a few people who have refused to marry simply because of the "single-parent" tax returns.

Obviously not people who put much value on marriage...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
J
J
people also shack up to qualify for free housing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation