Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
L
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
huh? Bottled water is 30% of non alcoholic drink sales in most convenience stores. Where does one get free water when out and about?

You fill your bottle/thermos at your tap at home. It goes right in the backpack with the peanut butter sandwiches. If you run out you refill at a water fountain or in the public bathroom.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
S
Originally Posted by living_well
huh? Bottled water is 30% of non alcoholic drink sales in most convenience stores. Where does one get free water when out and about?

You fill your bottle/thermos at your tap at home. It goes right in the backpack with the peanut butter sandwiches. If you run out you refill at a water fountain or in the public bathroom.
Well, yes. Some people choose to do that, and they prepare in advance whenever they go out. NOT making these preparations is hardly a sign of depression, though.

More puzzling to me is what you are trying to say in relation to this poster's point about her husband's control of the family money. She was using drinks on a hot day as an example of how unreasonable he would be. Yes certainly, if she had packed drinks in refillable bottles she could have avoided that particular situation, but when she hadn't done this, and she asked her husband for money for their thirsty kids, he wouldn't give it to her. THAT is the point: how unreasonable he was even when the health and discomfort of his own kids was involved. What reasonable father, on learning that there was no water in a backpack for his kids to drink, refuses to buy them a drink?

Why have you not focused on that, which is the point of the whole thread, rather than chastising her for not packing drinks???? dontknow

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
She might have forgotten the water bottles some days. They might have been out for longer than they thought. Even with a water bottle, I, for one, would never refill one in a public bathroom - the hygiene implications! There might not be a restaurant to ask for a free top up.

There might be any number of reasons that you don't know about why, on the day in question, this poster had no water for her kids - but she had her husband, and he had money and he would not give it to her.

That's the issue; not what a crap mother she is for not packing bottles.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M

They also sell water at almost every store, everywhere. The point is that her children were hot and needed water. There was absolutely no need for them to go without water.

I would never refill a water bottle in the first place. When you are out and about, you don't know the quality of the water. I don't even drink tap water at home.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is just one example. We've been many places and took water bottles and/or other things to drink with us. But when it's hot the kids need something again; especially if out for a few hours. And there's not always water fountains around to use.

Last edited by Stlyn; 03/27/15 02:12 PM.
S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am considering my options to divorce now or wait until the youngest is 18 (five more years).

S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok, so he has always had issues wth treating me like the money is HIS money; and not OUR money.

A little over two years ago he threatened to cancel full coverage on my car if I didn't give him the money for the insurance. That was the straw that broke the camel's back; and I've hated him ever since.

Last edited by Stlyn; 03/27/15 02:17 PM.
S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Water isn't free at a lot of outdoor events. Also, many times a water fountain was nowhere around. Had there been one I would have let them drink.

Last edited by Stlyn; 03/27/15 02:22 PM.
S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
After almost two decades of dealing with his inability to give me a penny, I told him that I knew what the problem was when it come to money: "#1. I'm not worth anything to you; and #2. My opinions don't matter."

M
M
Originally Posted by Stlyn
After almost two decades of dealing with his inability to give me a penny, I told him that I knew what the problem was when it come to money: "#1. I'm not worth anything to you; and #2. My opinions don't matter."

Don't fight with him, and don't offer analyses of why he does what he does.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That been a few years ago that I even said that. I guess I wanted him to know how his actions made me feel. I don't really care to let him know how I feel about anything anymore.

M
M
Stlyn have you listened to the Marriage Builders Radio show? Whether you want to go to Plan B immediately, wait a few years, or even if you change your mind and want to try to get your husband to turn around, Dr. Harley addresses situations like these all the time. I would suggest you become a daily listener - there is good advice and encouragement for you there. There is an app you can download to listen on your phone or tablet, and you can also listen on your PC.

You might even consider writing in to the show about your situation.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
T
How we'd be out for hours on a hot summer day, but I had no money to buy them something to drink when they said they were thirsty; and he wouldn't buy it.

Stlyn this is not rational. Nobody 'needs to buy a drink'. Water is free. I never bought a drink for my children and neither did anyone ever buy a drink for me. You are depressed. Please let us help.

You go to the sink before you leave your house and fill a bottle, thermos, place in an ice chest. When thirsty enough room temp does not matter.

L
L
The issue of this poster's husband refusing to purchase the children a drink was just one example of the way he has refused to treat his wife as an equal partner. Even if this particular problem was solved by bringing water from home, the overarching problem is that her H insists that the money he makes is HIS and not hers to spend.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
B
B
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
The issue of this poster's husband refusing to purchase the children a drink was just one example of the way he has refused to treat his wife as an equal partner. Even if this particular problem was solved by bringing water from home, the overarching problem is that her H insists that the money he makes is HIS and not hers to spend.
^^^^Exactly.

Styln,

Do you want to learn MB?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
T
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome

My point was not to justify this husbands actions. If you can not see my point I am at peace with that.

L
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Well, yes. Some people choose to do that, and they prepare in advance whenever they go out. NOT making these preparations is hardly a sign of depression, though.

Correct, poor planning is not necessarily a sign of depression.

Originally Posted by SugarCane
More puzzling to me is what you are trying to say in relation to this poster's point about her husband's control of the family money. She was using drinks on a hot day as an example of how unreasonable he would be. Yes certainly, if she had packed drinks in refillable bottles she could have avoided that particular situation, but when she hadn't done this, and she asked her husband for money for their thirsty kids, he wouldn't give it to her. THAT is the point: how unreasonable he was even when the health and discomfort of his own kids was involved. What reasonable father, on learning that there was no water in a backpack for his kids to drink, refuses to buy them a drink?

Why have you not focused on that, which is the point of the whole thread, rather than chastising her for not packing drinks???? dontknow

I brought up my children to believe that tap water is great stuff. However, all this is besides the point. Here is the real problem:

On the occasions I tried to discuss things with him, he'd keep his face in the book I was reading, and act like I wasn't there, never saying a word. Sometimes when my back was turned, he'd walk out of the room like I never even spoke to him. So being hurt and being ignored for almost 2 decades took its toll on me emotionally...severe stress, depressed, and chest pains.

This is the elephant in the room.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
S
On the occasions I tried to discuss things with him, he'd keep his face in the book I was reading, and act like I wasn't there, never saying a word. Sometimes when my back was turned, he'd walk out of the room like I never even spoke to him. So being hurt and being ignored for almost 2 decades took its toll on me emotionally...severe stress, depressed, and chest pains.

This is the elephant in the room.
How is it an elephant in the room, when she expressed the problem explicitly?

(And ended up being told off for not packing enough drinks.)

We must be sitting in different rooms.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
J
That been a few years ago that I even said that. I guess I wanted him to know how his actions made me feel. I don't really care to let him know how I feel about anything anymore.

If you are unwilling to work towards a romantic marriage then it will not happen. Even if you divorce him and find another husband, you will face the same issues...all revolving around showing mutual care through the Policy of Joint Agreement.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 914 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation