Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 102 103
AskMe #1516627 03/07/06 08:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jeremiah 17:5-8
5This is what the LORD says: "Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans and turn their hearts away from the LORD. 6They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, on the salty flats where no one lives.
7"But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. 8They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit.

In Jeremiah it says the Lord is the source of our trust. From the Lord comes our hope and confidence. For a person who trusts in the Lord they are like trees planted along a river. They are able to bear fruit, not because they want to, but because they are able to. This is in contrast to those who trust merely in people. They are more like someone planted in the desert. They have no hope or confidence. They cannot bear fruit if they wanted to because they have chosen a barren wilderness to live in.

Have you ever trusted someone just to find out they broke your trust? And sometimes the way the world is filled with sin, a person can be completely innocent and you may still feel they let you down. Think about Joseph in the Bible when it said, Potiphar’s wife began to desire him and invited him to sleep with her. But Joseph refused. "Look," he told her, "my master TRUSTS me with everything in his entire household. Then we know she lied (sin) to her husband and after hearing his wife’s story, Potiphar was furious, lost TRUST in Joseph and threw Joseph in prison. Where we all make our mistake is our trust first must be in the Lord and what He desires for us and not in man. Proverbs 3:5 says “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.” Joseph had every right not to trust anyone after his experience. But Joseph had faith and trust in God, so much so that he made the sons of Israel swears an oath that when God “came to lead them back to Canaan” they would take his body with them. And so in Hebrews it says they carried his bones with them when they left Egypt. Joseph placed his faith first in God. Where have you placed your trust? Did you place it first in God? Pray and ask God to lead you to the river bank where you can find trust, hope and confidence. Ask that He might produce fruit in your life and take away the barren ground.

AskMe #1516628 03/08/06 07:45 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Revelation 21:10-27 (NLT)
10So he took me in spirit to a great, high mountain, and he showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God. 11It was filled with the glory of God and sparkled like a precious gem, crystal clear like jasper. 12Its walls were broad and high, with twelve gates guarded by twelve angels. And the names of the twelve tribes of Israel were written on the gates. 13There were three gates on each side--east, north, south, and west. 14The wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were written the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. 15The angel who talked to me held in his hand a gold measuring stick to measure the city, its gates, and its wall. 16When he measured it, he found it was a square, as wide as it was long. In fact, it was in the form of a cube, for its length and width and height were each 1,400 miles.17Then he measured the walls and found them to be 216 feet thick (the angel used a standard human measure). 18The wall was made of jasper, and the city was pure gold, as clear as glass. 19The wall of the city was built on foundation stones inlaid with twelve gems: the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. 21The twelve gates were made of pearls--each gate from a single pearl! And the main street was pure gold, as clear as glass. 22No temple could be seen in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. 24The nations of the earth will walk in its light, and the rulers of the world will come and bring their glory to it. 25Its gates never close at the end of day because there is no night. 26And all the nations will bring their glory and honor into the city. 27Nothing evil will be allowed to enter--no one who practices shameful idolatry and dishonesty--but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Revelation 21:10-27 is the description of the City of Jerusalem reformed in Heaven as John saw it through the revelation made known to him. God and Jesus formed the Temple in the city and illuminated it with their glory. Only those known by Jesus will be allowed to enter here.

There is a final destination after life and it is true for every religion. It may be to live eternity in a beautiful place like heaven for a well lived life. And there is usually an opposite side to heaven called ****** where those go who did not deserve the richness of heaven. And in some religions people may just vanish after death or return possibly as someone else (reincarnation). But Jesus told us, don’t be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. So my question is, where do you want to be? It’s the question I ask anyone who discusses their religion and all of its customs, because there is the day you die and you want to know the answer, “where do you want to be”? Most often the answer is HEAVEN. Next question, how do you get there? Most religions don’t have a good answer. But with confidence and certainty I saw my Savior Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins and the sins of others, and because of my faith and trust in Him, He has told me He has gone to prepare a place for me in heaven that I might be with Him, so I am willing to repent of my sins and allow Him to be the Lord and Savior of my life. I know when I get to heave Jesus will be there to say I know him and his name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Are you that confident? It’s great if you are. Pray that those who aren’t as confident may be strengthened in their faith. Let them know that heaven is real and Jesus waits for them there. He has a placed prepared for us all and he is just waiting for some to accept him on faith.

AskMe #1516629 03/13/06 08:30 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Corinthians 14:23-25 (NLT)
23Even so, if unbelievers or people who don't understand these things come into your meeting and hear everyone talking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy. 24But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don't understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin, and they will be condemned by what you say. 25As they listen, their secret thoughts will be laid bare, and they will fall down on their knees and worship God, declaring, "God is really here among you."

Paul was writing to the church of Corinth. People there were arguing over which spiritual gifts were the greatest among them. Some felt as though speaking in tongues was the greatest gift. But Paul told the people until they were able to reach an unbeliever and help him understand the unbeliever might think they are crazy to be talking in an unknown way. He said you want to convict them of their sin, you want them to understand their wrongs, and as they listen you want their SECRET THOUGHTS be laid bare. This will bring them to repentant, and readiness to worship God.

Have you ever been in a situation where you have tried to keep a secret for a period of time, but you were not exactly sure what details were to remain a secret? Every now and then you might slip and catch yourself because you suddenly realized one of the people present didn’t know the whole truth. When you hide sins in your own life you start doing the same thing. You start compartmentalizing parts of your life. Maybe these people know nothing about these sins. And these groups over here, it’s ok for them to know about those sins, because they were with you. And this person knows about these sins, because they went out with you that night you committed them. Maybe you told your spouse about these sins, but your Sunday school class doesn’t know any of these sins. After a while you are nothing but a bunch of SECRETS placed in a bunch of boxes, each labeled with different friends, different groups, and even different family members. The question starts to become, “HOW CAN I KEEP THESE STRAIGHT?” Some people can’t, which makes some people start develop emotional problems, stress, anxiety, depression. They may start avoiding those groups. As they keep the truth from others the SECRECTS start killing relationships. Are you in a place like that, in little small boxes? The only way to pull yourself back together is to confess your sins to God and start learning to be real about who you are. You have to get HONEST and TRUST GOD to see you through the healing process. Are you ready to lay bare your secret thoughts? Pray God, HELP ME, I want to confess the sins in my life and lay them bare for all to see. I not longer want to hold on to secrets in my life, but I want to get honest and real. I want to heal the pains and be genuine. God break the little of boxes of secrecy and heal me back into a solid, whole person of honesty.

AskMe #1516630 03/14/06 07:13 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
PSALMS 51:1-19 (NLT)
1 Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. 2 Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. 3 For I recognize my shameful deeds-- they haunt me day and night. 4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just. 5 For I was born a sinner--yes, from the moment my mother conceived me. 6 But you desire honesty from the heart, so you can teach me to be wise in my inmost being. 7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8 Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me-- now let me rejoice. 9 Don't keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. 10Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me. 11 Do not banish me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me again the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. 13 Then I will teach your ways to sinners, and they will return to you. 14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness. 15 Unseal my lips, O Lord, that I may praise you. 16 You would not be pleased with sacrifices, or I would bring them. If I brought you a burnt offering, you would not accept it. 17 The sacrifice you want is a broken spirit. A broken and repentant heart, O God, you will not despise. 18 Look with favor on Zion and help her; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then you will be pleased with worthy sacrifices and with our whole burnt offerings; and bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.

This is the Psalm of David after being confronted by his friend Nathan for committing adultery with Bathsheba and then placing Bathsheba’s husband in the path of death to cover his sin.

In PSALMS 51 David pours out his feelings to God for the sinful acts he has committed. David talks about his guilt, his lack of joy, his desire for forgiveness, and the longing to praise God. David says his heart is broken and repentant and he knows that is more pleasing than sacrifices. David admits to being a sinner and says he was born a sinner. He knows God wants honesty and so now he is finally being honest with himself and with God in revealing his sins. David feels the shame of his sins as he tells God not to keep looking at them, but to remove the guilt and create a clean heart and a renewed spirit. David says, RESTORE TO ME AGAIN THE JOY OF YOUR SALVATION AND MAKE ME WILLING TO OBEY YOU. Sin breaks the joy of our salvation. Have you felt that broken joy? Is it time to pour out your feelings to God? Or maybe you know someone you can pray for that needs joy in their life again. Today is a day just like everyday where you can make your feelings known to God. Why not stop and pray and let Him know what is on your heart.

AskMe #1516631 03/15/06 08:10 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 10:10 (NLT)
10The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.

Prior to this verse Jesus had told a parable. Jesus said he could assure the people anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheep pen must be thief, because the shepherd always enters through the gate. The gatekeeper will always open the gate for the shepherd and the sheep will know the shepherd by his voice. The only purpose of the thief is to steal, kill and destroy. Jesus was alluding to Satan and his desire to take our joy of life, life itself and our souls. Jesus said of himself, His purpose was to give life in all it fullness.

Once my mother went out of town only to come back to find her home had been burglarized. If you can imagine the fear of finding someone has been in your home uninvited and gone through your possessions and you are not even sure what they have taken. My mother eventually found out a box of household documents that contained titles, deeds, personal notes, family information, and other information, some of which could not be replaced was stolen. This thief created fear where there was joy and this thief had stolen what could not be replaced. But isn’t that what Satan is out to do? He is out to steal our joy by introducing us to sin. Proverbs 29:24 says, “If you assist a thief, you are only hurting yourself.” He wants to take our life both in this world and eternally by keeping us away from God and Jesus. And if he can steal our eternal soul then it cannot be replaced. Remember that Jesus came to give life in all its fullness. Faith and trust in Jesus wins the battle over Satan. 1 John 2:14 says, “I have written to you who are young because you are strong with God's word living in your hearts, and you have won your battle with Satan.” Give thanks for what Jesus has done in your life and give praise to God for his magnificent glory.

AskMe #1516632 03/16/06 08:01 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 25:1-12 (NLT)
1"The Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of ten bridesmaids who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3The five who were foolish took no oil for their lamps, 4but the other five were wise enough to take along extra oil. 5When the bridegroom was delayed, they all lay down and slept. 6At midnight they were roused by the shout, `Look, the bridegroom is coming! Come out and welcome him!' 7"All the bridesmaids got up and prepared their lamps. 8Then the five foolish ones asked the others, `Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.' 9But the others replied, `We don't have enough for all of us. Go to a shop and buy some for yourselves.' 10"But while they were gone to buy oil, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was locked. 11Later, when the other five bridesmaids returned, they stood outside, calling, `Sir, open the door for us!' 12But he called back, `I don't know you!'

Jesus is telling a parable to his disciples. In this illustration he is comparing how people enter into heaven using a story of 10 bridesmaids waiting for the bridegroom to arrive. It is thought the custom was for the bridegroom to arrive at night to celebrate the wedding. Upon notice, the bridesmaids were to go out and light the way for the bridegroom into the house with a formal ceremony. These bridesmaids were usually the witnesses to the ceremony as the custom generally required 10 witnesses present as in Ruth 4:2, where Boaz took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, Sit ye down here. But in the parable the bridesmaids all fell asleep, 5 had enough oil to light the way, while the other 5 had no oil. It was the 5 that did not have oil who were left out of the party because they did not have what they needed when the time came.

Jesus often related parables in which an even number was chosen and left behind. In this parable we found 5 chosen and 5 left behind. The five who were chosen represented those who found the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ. The oil represents the grace of Jesus and it allows His light to shine through those who believe in Jesus. When the time arrived for the bridegroom to approach, the foolish bridesmaids asked the others for oil. Those who do not have Jesus as their savior are in the dark and in times of desperation they see the light of those doing the will of Jesus and will desire what they have. Like Noah who entered the ark and the doors were shut and the rain started to fall, those on the outside wanted in. Just like those it was too late, the bridegroom had already arrived. The ones who were too foolish to not bring oil were left out of the celebration. Those would be the ones who have not placed their faith and trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior. He is the oil, the light, and the grace. Is Jesus burning as a light within you? Does the oil of his grace overflow in your soul? If you can yes, you are blessed with His grace and mercy. If you are not sure, it’s never too late to place your faith in Jesus. Pray that Jesus will be the light of your light of life. Pray that others will see Him through you. Love your God will all your heart and give Him praise for the great things He has done in your life.

AskMe #1516633 03/21/06 07:51 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 21:9 (KJV)
9It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.

Here in this verse of Proverbs is says it would be better to live in a small corner of an attic space than share a large house with a contentious wife (Hebrew 'ishshah means woman or wife).

Solomon who gave us most of the Proverbs was a man of great wisdom, but he was also a man of many wives. It says in 1 Kings 11:1-4, “King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh's daughter—Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. They were from nations about which the LORD had told the Israelites, "You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods." Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love. He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.” With so many wives Solomon surely knew from first hand experience the verse he so clearly stated. But he gave the verse in Proverbs as a caution to both husbands and wives for their mutual benefit. For it better that husband and wife live in harmony than to have discord when one spouse causes strife against the other. There is a more modern day quote similar to what Proverbs 21:9 expresses, “If momma isn’t happy, no one is happy.” Peter says in 1 Peter 3:8-9, “Finally, all of you should be of one mind, full of sympathy toward each other, loving one another with tender hearts and humble minds. Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate when people say unkind things about you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it.” Instead of unkind words towards one another, we are to love with tender hearts, never throwing back evil words for evil words. We are to stop and with humble minds and tender hearts look for a way to bless the other that they might be comforted. Have there been times you have dealt with strife and anger in your relationship with another? Pray that God might bring about a humble mind and tender heart. Pray that he might make you a blessing and not something to be cursed. Ask God to bless you all with peace and harmony.

AskMe #1516634 03/22/06 07:56 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 8:33-37 (NLT)
33Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? Will God? No! He is the one who has given us right standing with himself. 34Who then will condemn us? Will Christ Jesus? No, for he is the one who died for us and was raised to life for us and is sitting at the place of highest honor next to God, pleading for us. 35Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or are hungry or cold or in danger or threatened with death? 36(Even the Scriptures say, "For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.") 37No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

In these verses Paul declares there is none who will accuse or condemn us; and those who have the power to, which are God and Jesus, have given us the right to be with them. Jesus is sitting in honor next to God pleading for us, since he died for each of our sins. Paul goes on to list out problems in life and then asks the question, is there anything that can separate us from the love of Christ? The answer is NO; we have overwhelming victory in our daily life because of Christ who loves us so.

There have been Christian men and women, committed to God, walking in faith for years who one day found they had a struggle they had to deal with. They may have carried this struggle for years, an area of life where sin ruled over them. For some it might be an addiction that nearly consumed them and their marriage. Then a realization there needs to be a change, a daily renewed life in Jesus Christ, choosing not to play with the fire of sin. In Christ we can be victorious and not bound to sin. Romans 6:16-18 says, “Don't you realize that whatever you choose to obey becomes your master? You can choose sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God and receive his approval. Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you have obeyed with all your heart the new teaching God has given you. Now you are free from sin, your old master, and you have become slaves to your new master, righteousness.” Jesus gives us victory over sin and leads us to righteousness where we can find the freedom to remove our struggles. Do you have a struggle you are battling? Are you looking for victory in your life? Turn your life over to Jesus. Let Him lead the battle against the struggle for you. Let Jesus refresh and renew you each and every day. Pray and ask Jesus for a fresh start. Ask him to lead, protect and guide you on your daily walk with Him.

AskMe #1516635 03/23/06 06:31 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Galatians 2:11-16 (NLT)
11But when Peter came to Antioch, I had to oppose him publicly, speaking strongly against what he was doing, for it was very wrong. 12When he first arrived, he ate with the Gentile Christians, who don't bother with circumcision. But afterward, when some Jewish friends of James came, Peter wouldn't eat with the Gentiles anymore because he was afraid of what these legalists would say. 13Then the other Jewish Christians followed Peter's hypocrisy, and even Barnabas was influenced to join them in their hypocrisy. 14When I saw that they were not following the truth of the Good News, I said to Peter in front of all the others, "Since you, a Jew by birth, have discarded the Jewish laws and are living like a Gentile, why are you trying to make these Gentiles obey the Jewish laws you abandoned? 15You and I are Jews by birth, not `sinners' like the Gentiles. 16And yet we Jewish Christians know that we become right with God, not by doing what the law commands, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be accepted by God because of our faith in Christ--and not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be saved by obeying the law.”

Prior to eating with the Gentiles Peter a vision all food was clean and proper for eating. So Peter sat among the Gentiles although they did not observe the Jewish laws. But when other Jewish friends arrived Peter suddenly stopped eating with the Gentiles for fear of what the other Jews might say. His hypocrisy spread to other Jews who also abandoned the Gentiles. Paul rebuked Peter and said if you can put away the Jewish laws to be with the Gentiles, why do you feel the Gentiles need the Jewish laws to be around Jews? Paul then went on to remind Peter it’s not about following the law, but it because of faith in Christ God accepts us.

Peter’s mistakes were letting peer pressure take over and win out against his best judgment. Peter was already doing the right thing, but he started to doubt himself when friends showed up. Peter allowed his relationship with his friends to become more important than his relationship with God. And once he did that their friendship began to sway his opinion, which led him as a leader to sway others opinions. It wasn’t long before he was harming the Gospel of Christ for the sake of his own self. How committed are you to your beliefs and values when it comes to Jesus? 1 Corinthians 16:13 says, “Be on guard. Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong.” In other words be ready to defend what you believe in and don’t give up easily due to peer pressure. So often God has placed something on out heart and we give it up without questioning it because we are not confident enough to trust in the Lord. Jeremiah 17:7 says, “"But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.” Keep a close guard on your relationship with the Lord. Don’t let others easily pull you away. Pray that the Lord would keep you close and help you to trust in all that He would lead you to do. Pray for a close relationship with God and Christ. Ask that they might make your belief in them stronger each and every day.

AskMe #1516636 04/03/06 07:04 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Acts 22:17-23 (NLT)
17"One day after I returned to Jerusalem, I was praying in the Temple, and I fell into a trance. 18I saw a vision of Jesus saying to me, `Hurry! Leave Jerusalem, for the people here won't believe you when you give them your testimony about me.'
19" `But Lord,' I argued, `they certainly know that I imprisoned and beat those in every synagogue who believed on you. 20And when your witness Stephen was killed, I was standing there agreeing. I kept the coats they laid aside as they stoned him.'
21"But the Lord said to me, `Leave Jerusalem, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles!' "
22The crowd listened until Paul came to that word; then with one voice they shouted, "Away with such a fellow! Kill him! He isn't fit to live!" 23They yelled, threw off their coats, and tossed handfuls of dust into the air.

Paul, while he had been praying in the temple, had been given a divine commission to go and preach the gospel to the Gentiles. He was told the people in Jerusalem would not believe his testimony. And as Paul related his testimony to the people he finally got to the point where he said he was to give the message to the Gentiles. And with that one word, “Gentiles”, the crowd became boisterous and ready to kill Paul.

One word can sometimes change the whole atmosphere of a conversation. One word can set the tone of a meeting where people are relaxed and comfortable or put on edge and unsure of what is to take place. One word can mean the difference in letting someone know you care about them versus whether you have forgotten about them all together. One word makes the difference in letting someone know you are sorry. One word lets someone know that you love them. James 3:2 says, “We all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way.” Have you learned to use care in controlling the words you use towards others? Have you thought about the effects they might have? Pray that God would help you understand the impact your words might have in this world. Ask for guidance when you speak to others that you might not offend or hurt others unknowingly. Pray you will always be uplifting and honoring to the Lord.

AskMe #1516637 04/04/06 06:51 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalms 118:13-21 (NLT)
13 You did your best to kill me, O my enemy, but the LORD helped me. 14 The LORD is strength and my song; he has become my victory. 15 Songs of joy and victory are sung in the camp of the godly. The strong right arm of the LORD has done glorious things! 16 The strong right arm of the LORD is raised in triumph. The strong right arm of the LORD has done glorious things! 17 I will not die, but I will live to tell what the LORD has done. 18 The LORD has punished me severely, but he has not handed me over to death. 19 Open for me the gates where the righteous enter, and I will go in and thank the LORD. 20 Those gates lead to the presence of the LORD, and the godly enter there. 21 I thank you for answering my prayer and saving me!

In Psalms 118 David reflects on a believing expectation of a promised Messiah. David is encouraging himself and others that the Lord is his VICTORY. And he sings songs of joy to that victory. He praises the strength of the Lord and His power. And while David has faced adversity and discipline, God has not forsaken him and handed him over to death. David knows the gates of heaven will open for him and he will go into the presence of the Lord, so he gives thanks to God for saving him from eternal spiritual death.

A student at a seminary observed an elderly janitor reading the bible. Curious about what he was reading the student stopped and said, “Can I ask what book of the bible you are reading?” The elderly janitor said, “Oh, I’m reading the book of Revelation, it’s my favorite.” Surprise the student asked if he understood it. “Oh yes”, replied the man. “It means that Jesus is going to have victory in the battle.” What better commentary to sum up the ending to the bible that to say Jesus has the victory. Does Jesus have the victory in your life? Have you turned you life over to Jesus to let Him take control? Pray that Jesus will let you live a victorious life. Ask that He will let you see the gates of heaven leading to Him just as David saw. Sing praises and be joyful for what He has done for you.

AskMe #1516638 04/05/06 06:49 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 16:26-27 (NLT)
26Then you will ask in my name. I'm not saying I will ask the Father on your behalf, 27for the Father himself loves you dearly because you love me and believe that I came from God.

Jesus is talking to the disciples and He had just told them "In just a little while I will be gone, and you won't see me anymore. Then, just a little while after that, you will see me again." Jesus was going to depart through his death, but rise again that he might be with them in spirit. They would then be able to pray in Jesus name, being filled with the Holy Spirit, even though Jesus was not there with them physically to pray for them. Jesus reassured them God loves them dearly because they loved Jesus and believed in who He was.

There was a story where a man was talking about his children. He said he had the most beautiful children in the world. His work associates whom he was talking to were impressed listening to the proud father as he boasted about his kids. So the father asked if everyone would like to see pictures of the kids. Of course after hearing the description of how beautiful these children were everyone said yes. Then out came the pictures and everyone sat frozen as they looked at the most homely looking children they had ever seen. But there sat the proud father gleaming back at them with delight. God your Father sees you through those same type of eyes. He overlooks the imperfections we see and sees something totally different. 1 Peter 3:4 says, “You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” God loves you dearly as His child. Have you trusted in Jesus and given your life to Him? Pray and let Jesus know how thankful you are for a savior who allows you to enter into the presence of God. Thank Him for listening to your prayers and interceding when you need Him. Give all honor glory and praise to Him.

AskMe #1516639 04/05/06 09:45 PM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Malachi 2:14-16 (NLT)
14You cry out, "Why has the LORD abandoned us?" I'll tell you why! Because the LORD witnessed the vows you and your wife made to each other on your wedding day when you were young. But you have been disloyal to her, though she remained your faithful companion, the wife of your marriage vows. 15Didn't the LORD make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard yourself; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. 16"For I hate divorce!" says the LORD, the God of Israel. "It is as cruel as putting on a victim's bloodstained coat," says the LORD Almighty. "So guard yourself; always remain loyal to your wife."

Malachi continues to present his message, which is a call of faithfulness from God. Here God declares He is displeased marriage vows have been broken, when it was the Lord’s intent for couples to remain faithful to one another. Through their faithfulness to one another they were to procreate and raise Godly children. The husband is charged to stand guard and remain loyal to his wife, which maintains a home to raise Godly children. Then God declares he hates divorce and equates it to wearing the bloody clothes of a person just murdered.

God challenged husbands over 2000 years ago to be faithful husbands and fathers of their households. It was a call many Israelites realized they had been negligent in. So they repented and turned back to God. Yet here we are in present times with the same problems. When our welfare system was created, if fathers resided in the household, benefits were reduced. The result was children living in fatherless homes rose from 5.1 million in 1960 to 16.5 million in 1995. A 1988 study, published in the Journal of Research on Crime and Delinquency found that the best predictor of violent crime and burglary in a community was the proportion of households without fathers. US Department of Health and Human Services found that 70% of all juveniles in long-term correctional facilities did not live with their father while growing up. Fathers strongly influence their children’s sex-role identities, so fathers who model a faithful, Godly life is important. We need to be praying for families around the world and that God becomes the center of the home. Once again we need to repent and return to God. Pray we never forget the lessons learned in the past. Pray for our families and the faithfulness of husbands and wives.

AskMe #1516640 04/07/06 05:29 PM
D
D
THank you for your words of encouragement, AskMe. I am a co-dependent, and my WH is an SA in denial. I was in denial, too, until it was too late. He's having an EA with a co-worker, (or maybe now it's a full fledged A--I don't know), and moved out 3 months ago and I am heartbroken. WE're married 9 years, in our 40's.

He still attends our church--sits in the back alone. THe pastors have all been tough on him, rebuked him, but he's not listening. He still goes to men's church sporting events (softball, football, golf, etc.)--alone--but not to BIble sudies in years. He was a strong CHristian, went to seminary for two years to go into ministry, but God lead us to helping the pastor, not being the pastor.

Everyone is baffled by him, especially me. He knows better. I don't know what to do. We were both leaders in out church. I'm not in Plan B, but not in Plan A either because he no longer lives at home. Should I change churches and go to Plan B? Most of my friends are there at that church and that would be tough on me. I love my pastor and his wife. My WH has gone to our pastor several times for counsel, but comes away still wanting a divorce and rejecting the Word of God.
All I can do now is pray. Any words of wisdom and your prayers are greatly appreciated.

Dancer

dancer2006 #1516641 04/10/06 07:10 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
You are more than welcome.....

Last edited by AskMe; 04/10/06 03:16 PM.
AskMe #1516642 04/10/06 07:10 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Genesis 9:19-25 (NLT)
18Shem, Ham, and Japheth, the three sons of Noah, survived the Flood with their father. (Ham is the ancestor of the Canaanites.) 19From these three sons of Noah came all the people now scattered across the earth. 20After the Flood, Noah became a farmer and planted a vineyard. 21One day he became drunk on some wine he had made and lay naked in his tent. 22Ham, the father of Canaan, saw that his father was naked and went outside and told his brothers. 23Shem and Japheth took a robe, held it over their shoulders, walked backward into the tent, and covered their father's naked body. As they did this, they looked the other way so they wouldn't see him naked. 24When Noah woke up from his drunken stupor, he learned what Ham, his youngest son, had done. 25Then he cursed the descendants of Canaan, the son of Ham: "A curse on the Canaanites! May they be the lowest of servants to the descendants of Shem and Japheth."

From the 3 sons of Noah we are all descended. After the flood Noah became a farmer and kept a vineyard. After consuming to much wine, possibly in celebration, Noah fell asleep naked in his tent. Noah who had always kept sober in drunken company had now fallen drunk in sober company. Noah’s shame was his nakedness as he laid there in his sin. Ham saw his father and instead of being concerned for his father, Ham went out to rejoice in his father’s iniquity and o share it with his brothers. It’s those who also fall to sin who often rejoice in the fall of others. Hams brothers took a dim view of what happened and went in to discreetly cover their father’s shame. Noah having learned Ham’s indiscretion cursed him and those who would be Canaanites.

Noah placed a curse upon Ham that became a generational curse. It’s interesting when you look at Ham’s future history. It says one of Ham’s descendant’s was Nimrod, who was a mighty heroic warrior in the Lord’s sight. He built the foundation for his empire in the land of Babylonia, with the cities of Babel, Erech, Akkad, and Calneh. From there he extended his reign to Assyria, where he built Nineveh, Rehoboth-ir, Calah, and Resen--the main city of the empire, located between Nineveh and Calah. Many of these cities are well known in the Bible, especially Babylonia, Assyria, Babel and Nineveh. The Babylonians became the enemies of the Israelites and took them into captivity. Ham’s son Canaan was also the ancestor of the Hittites, Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites, Hivites, Arkites, Sinites, Arvadites, Zemarites, and Hamathites. Eventually the territory of Canaan spread from Sidon to Gerar, near Gaza, and to Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim, near Lasha. Again, these were many enemies to the Israelites and the lands such as Sodom and Gomorrah were filled with wickedness. Ham who had lived sinfully in his lifetime had also spread sin for generations. Did you realize sin can be a generational curse? Did you know sins can be passed to children, then to their children and it continues on and on? Pray that the curses of generational sin stops. Pray parents will take a stand to identify the sins in their lives and hold them self accountable. Pray the sin stops here and continues no more.

AskMe #1516643 04/11/06 06:30 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ezekiel 20:15-17 (NLT)
15But I swore to them in the wilderness that I would not bring them into the land I had given them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most beautiful place on earth. 16I told them this because they had rejected my laws, ignored my will for them, and violated my Sabbath days. Their hearts were given to their idols. 17Nevertheless, I pitied them and held back from destroying them in the wilderness.

The Bible can be specific in many ways. It says on August 14, during the seventh year of King Jehoiachin's captivity, some of the leaders of Israel came to request a message from the LORD. Part of the answer was given above to Ezekiel, which reviewed the rebellion of Israel before they entered the land of Canaan. God says it was the most beautiful place on the earth, flowing with milk and honey. God was ready to hand it over to them. Yet the people had violated His laws, had given their hearts to idols, and ignored what He had planned for their lives. God could have destroyed them, but He pitted them and gave hope for their children to be obedient to Him.

In the book of Numbers, men were sent out to explore the land flowing with milk and honey and they returned with wonderful fruit to prove how great the land was. But many of the men reported the people living there are powerful, and their cities and towns were fortified and very large. They said, “We also saw the descendants of Anak who are living there! The Amalekites live in the Negev, and the Hittites, Jebusites, and Amorites live in the hill country. The Canaanites live along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea and along the Jordan Valley. And some of the men said we even saw giants there.” Caleb stood alone before Moses and said, "Let's go at once to take the land," he said. "We can certainly conquer it!" Then Joshua stood with Caleb. But everyone else was ready to stone them in fear, because they did not trust the Lord. God told them those who were 20 years and older would not be allowed to enter the Promised Land, with the exception of Joshua and Caleb. God gave hope to the children that they might learn to walk in God’s ways and not follow the ways of their parents and elders. What examples are you setting in your life? Are they Godly ones others can follow? Pray that God would show you how to live your life in Christ. Pray for Jesus to lighten sin’s burden. Ask for guidance that would show others the right path to follow towards God.

AskMe #1516644 04/12/06 06:01 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Timothy 5:5 (NLT)
5But a woman who is a true widow, one who is truly alone in this world, has placed her hope in God. Night and day she asks God for help and spends much time in prayer.

Paul was writing about the care of widows within the church. Here in verse 5 he makes a statement about the widows. He says a true widow is alone in this world. In other words there is no one available to care for her; she has no family, no relatives close at hand. Her only hope is in the Lord and so night and day she seeks God out in prayer.

Have you ever said, “I just quit.” Maybe you have reached a point where you just feel hopeless about a situation. You feel all alone as though there is no one to help. God doesn’t want us to give up; He wants us to turn to Him. I heard a pastor once tell a story about his younger days in seminary. He said he left one morning for seminary knowing he and his wife had bills to pay. He was discouraged, but he knew God had always been faithful. But still felt as though he was alone in his financial struggles. When he went by the office at the seminary there was an envelope with a $500 check made out to him. He called his wife all excited to say there was a donation someone anonymously had left for them. She said, “I know, it’s for $500.” Puzzled, he asked her how she knew. She said, “I knew once you told me there was a check. I had been praying to God for $500 to help pay our bills.” How faithful is our God to answer to our prayers when we are in need. We are not alone in our struggles. Jesus said, “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Have you felt hopeless and alone in your struggles? God doesn’t desire that for you. Pray for God to give you hope. Pray your struggles may be eased and your burdens lifted. Look to God for your answers and praise Him for the goodness to come.

AskMe #1516645 04/13/06 07:13 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Thessalonians 5:6-8 (NLT)
6So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be sober. 7Night is the time for sleep and the time when people get drunk. 8But let us who live in the light think clearly, protected by the body armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.

Paul in speaking to the Thessalonians says the generality of man is to be off guard and careless. Some are letting their natural desires take control of them. He is warning them to stay sober in spirit and in body that their mind might be on the Lord and be a witness for Him. And they can do so with the confidence of their salvation, protected by faith and love.

I have a high regard for those who protect our cities and states. Of course sometimes I am a little unnerved when I become their target on the highway. My commute to work each morning takes around 45 minutes so I leave early in the mornings to avoid traffic. Many people are probably still in bed or are just waking up. I drive through one town where the sheriffs are always present. This morning as I was going through this town one sheriff was in the median. As I approached he pulled out along side me up to the RED traffic light where we both stopped. There were hardly any cars out this time of the morning on this 6 lane road. It was just me, the sheriff and few cars behind us. When the light turned green, the sheriff raced off from the traffic line at a rapid pace without his blue light. I could tell the sheriff’s car was accelerating beyond the speed limit as my car increased speed. Of course my flesh cried out, “WHY DON’T YOU SPEED UP AND SEE WHERE HE IS GOING TO?” There was hardly any traffic; the road in front of me was open and no stop lights ahead. But there was the 45 MPH speed limit sign and I knew God called me to obey the law, although I have to admit there have been times I have fallen to the temptation “of a the leaden foot”. The good news, because I was on guard and followed the law I soon realized another sheriff had fallen in behind me and was monitoring my speed. I was being tempted by the other sheriff to see how I would react and the other sheriff was behind me ready to turn on his blue light had I let down my guard. HOW QUICKLY WE CAN SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN IF WE ARE NOT ON GUARD. Pray that God will keep you on guard. Thank Jesus for his salvation and protection. Remember Jesus died for you to be the guardian of your life.

AskMe #1516646 04/17/06 07:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 21:20-22 (NLT)
20Peter turned around and saw the disciple Jesus loved following them--the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, "Lord, who among us will betray you?" 21Peter asked Jesus, "What about him, Lord?" 22Jesus replied, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You follow me."

After the resurrection of Jesus, He appeared to the disciples on the shore. They hurried there where Jesus prepared for them breakfast. Jesus once again asked Simon Peter if he loved Him 3 times. Peter was grieved as usual by Jesus response instead of looking how he could relate to Jesus. Then he saw John approaching and Peter asked Jesus, if he was the one who was going to betray him? Jesus replied that it was between Him and John, just as His relationship with Peter was between Him and Peter. Jesus looked at Peter and reminded him to follow Him.

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection (Phil 3:10). My hope is in the person of Jesus of Nazareth, true God and true man, crucified for my sins, raised from the dead and seated upon his throne. My trust is in God and not in mankind. God will never disappoint me. My hope is in him: Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. (Psalm 25:4-5 NIV) Is this how you feel about God and Christ? Do you really want to know them and place your faith in them? There is a hymn that says, “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace. Jesus said follow Him. If we keep our eyes on Him and follow Jesus we can avoid many of the pitfalls of temptation and sin. Pray Jesus will help you to keep your eyes on Him. Pray that you may be able to follow on His paths of righteousness. Know that God is your hope, your salvation, and your trust. Praise God for His son the risen Jesus Christ.

Page 4 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 990 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation