1 Thessalonians 5:6-8 (NLT)
6So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be sober. 7Night is the time for sleep and the time when people get drunk. 8But let us who live in the light think clearly, protected by the body armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.

Paul in speaking to the Thessalonians says the generality of man is to be off guard and careless. Some are letting their natural desires take control of them. He is warning them to stay sober in spirit and in body that their mind might be on the Lord and be a witness for Him. And they can do so with the confidence of their salvation, protected by faith and love.

I have a high regard for those who protect our cities and states. Of course sometimes I am a little unnerved when I become their target on the highway. My commute to work each morning takes around 45 minutes so I leave early in the mornings to avoid traffic. Many people are probably still in bed or are just waking up. I drive through one town where the sheriffs are always present. This morning as I was going through this town one sheriff was in the median. As I approached he pulled out along side me up to the RED traffic light where we both stopped. There were hardly any cars out this time of the morning on this 6 lane road. It was just me, the sheriff and few cars behind us. When the light turned green, the sheriff raced off from the traffic line at a rapid pace without his blue light. I could tell the sheriff’s car was accelerating beyond the speed limit as my car increased speed. Of course my flesh cried out, “WHY DON’T YOU SPEED UP AND SEE WHERE HE IS GOING TO?” There was hardly any traffic; the road in front of me was open and no stop lights ahead. But there was the 45 MPH speed limit sign and I knew God called me to obey the law, although I have to admit there have been times I have fallen to the temptation “of a the leaden foot”. The good news, because I was on guard and followed the law I soon realized another sheriff had fallen in behind me and was monitoring my speed. I was being tempted by the other sheriff to see how I would react and the other sheriff was behind me ready to turn on his blue light had I let down my guard. HOW QUICKLY WE CAN SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN IF WE ARE NOT ON GUARD. Pray that God will keep you on guard. Thank Jesus for his salvation and protection. Remember Jesus died for you to be the guardian of your life.