Luke 14:31-33 (NLT)
31 "Or what king would ever dream of going to war without first sitting down with his counselors and discussing whether his army of ten thousand is strong enough to defeat the twenty thousand soldiers who are marching against him? 32 If he is not able, then while the enemy is still far away, he will send a delegation to discuss terms of peace. 33 So no one can become my disciple without giving up everything for me.

Jesus is talking to a great crowd that is following him and He starts to explain the cost of being one of His disciples. He provides several examples along with this one about a king planning to go to war. Jesus asks the question, what king would match 10,000 soldiers against 20,000 soldiers without sitting with his counselors and discussing the chances of winning the battle. If the counselors see the possibility of defeat then they can hope for a peace term before battle. Jesus said no one can be His disciple without giving up everything for Him.

What if you had been in charge of the battle and your commander said I want you to take these 10,000 men to lead the fight. And as you start to gather your intelligence about the enemy you find out there are 20,000 of the enemy waiting ahead for you. You now know that you are outnumbered 2 to 1. What do you do? You call in your advisors, your counselors and ask their advice on a plan, the best strategy, the best possible plan of attack, or the best solution you might choose. Is our life not just the same? Every day we face the enemy. We face a battle with sin. We face tough decisions and need plans and strategies and counsel to get us through. Who better to give us the advice than the Lord Jesus Christ? Pray for the wisdom and counsel or Jesus. Pray He would lead you through the battles of life. Let Him give you the strategies to plan your life to its fullest.