Revelation 2:2-7 (NLT)
2 "I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don't tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars. 3 You have patiently suffered for me without quitting. 4 But I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as you did at first! 5 Look how far you have fallen from your first love! Turn back to me again and work as you did at first. If you don't, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches. 6 But there is this about you that is good: You hate the deeds of the immoral Nicolaitans, just as I do. 7 "Anyone who is willing to hear should listen to the Spirit and understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

John is writing his revelation as Jesus is speaking to the Church of Ephesus. Jesus says He knows the church and the things they do and He commends them on their good qualities. But Jesus also rebukes them for also turning to sin and falling away from Him. They have grown cold in their passion for Christ to follow Him, to grow and to reach out to others. Jesus does give them hope in saying they abhor the deeds of those claiming to follow as Christians, but who act out with hatred and are truly against the nature of Christ.

If your spouse walked in and looked you in the face and said, “I have a complaint. You don’t love me as you did at first?” how would you react? Depending upon the look on their face it may not help to react in a jovial manner. We certainly would want to hear what was on their mind. And if we cared for them no doubt we would respond in a positive and affirming manner. Jesus left His message not only for the Ephesians, but to remind us also not to loose our love for Him. Even though the Ephesians had good qualities, they were slipping away from Jesus and He wanted them back. Jesus always wants us close to Him, following in the work He started. Philippians 1:6 says, “being confident of this very thing, that He who hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the Day of Jesus Christ.” Christ started a good work in you with His love; let Him finish a good work in you with His love. Pray that you never forget the love for Christ. Pray that He always remains close to your heart leading you in your daily life.