Revelation 3:14-22 (NLT)
14 "Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen--the faithful and true witness, the ruler[c] of God's creation: 1 5"I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, `I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. 18 I advise you to buy gold from me--gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. And also buy white garments so you will not be shamed by your nakedness. And buy ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. 19 I am the one who corrects and disciplines everyone I love. Be diligent and turn from your indifference. 2 0"Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal as friends. 21 I will invite everyone who is victorious to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne. 22 Anyone who is willing to hear should listen to the Spirit and understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches."
Jesus, the one who is the amen, gives a final message to the churches; this time to the church in Laodicea. Amen is a unique word, it was transliterated from Hebrew to Greek, then into Latin and then into English and many other languages. The word “amen” has been called the best known universal word in human speech. It’s fitting Christ would choose a word that would be known to all to make Himself known to the church. The Laodiceans were an unmotivated group of Christians not really caring if God was there in their life or not. In a similar situation Elijah said to the Israelites, “How long halt ye between two opinions? If the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.” God won’t let you stay in a place trying to pick between Him and something else. No wonder the people couldn’t answer Elijah, they knew in theirs hearts what they were doing was wrong. And now we have the Laodiceans thinking “I don’t need anything from God”. It’s back to the same old stinking thinking that we can handle things on our own. Jesus even lovingly tells them He corrects and disciplines those He loves. And He encourages them that He wants them to open the door to their hearts in order for Him to fill those places that have been void for so long. Jesus just wants to take time with them and work on their problems with them and fill those empty and lonely spots.

What is the difference between owning a brand new car and a very used older car? More than likely you will be able to depend on the new car; but the older used car is going to need a lot of attention in order to get your where you are going. The old car may fail along the way and you have to come up with alternatives to get you where you are going. The old car may even stop completely leaving you stranded and desperate. It’s at that point you have to turn to someone for help if you really need to make it to your destination. The Laodiceans were prosperous and lived in a wealthy society; but their prosperity gave them a false sense of security. Just like we know the new car is more dependable does not mean it won’t fail us and when it does we are as in just as much need as we were with the older used car. We can’t count on prosperity, wealth, or even our health at the moment and think we can make it through life unscathed. There are no guarantees, except one. We have a guarantee if we place our faith and trust in Jesus Christ, and repent of our sin, and acknowledge Him as Lord and Savior or our lives we will be with Him in heaven one day for eternity. Where is the best place to make your investment, in the world or with a Savior who will never fail you? Pray that Christ would be your storehouse where you return to gather your strength. Open your heart to Christ and let Him in to fill those places material items cannot touch. Only Christ can fill the voids in our life in a rich and meaningful way.