Galatians 2:19-21 (NLT)
19 For when I tried to keep the law, I realized I could never earn God's approval. So I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. 20 I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I am not one of those who treats the grace of God as meaningless. For if we could be saved by keeping the law, then there was no need for Christ to die.

Paul is speaking to Peter letting him know it is Christ who he trusts in. He has come to realize he could not meet God’s approval even in keeping the law as he knew how. But now Christ lives in him. And while he is still made up of flesh and blood, the spiritual flesh which cries out for sin is no longer in control. He states if we could be saved by keeping all the laws there would have been no need of God’s plan of salvation.

For most of us since we were children had this core belief developed in us that says, “If I work hard, if I am good and do what I need to do I will receive a reward”. There were the times we might have been told if we get a good report card then money or an activity will be the reward. Or maybe you were told clean your room and we can go off. Around vacation time it might have been said, behave or we won’t go to Disney. And even songs would repeat this message, such as, “you better not pout, you better not cry, you better be good” letting us know our actions controlled the future outcome of gifts under the tree. It’s no wonder some have a hard time believing the gift of salvation is handed to us freely?? Through faith, belief and love of Christ we find salvation as a free gift. There is nothing we must do first; there is nothing we have to finish; and it’s not dependant upon how good we are at the moment. The song verse says it best, “Just as I am, without one plea,But that Thy blood was shed for me, and Thou biddst me come to thee, O-Lamb of God I come, I come.” CHRIST WANTS US JUST AS WE ARE. No need to go back to those childhood beliefs. No need to follow each law perfect to the letter. No need for reliance upon ourselves. All He wants from us is to come to Him. Have you gone to Jesus? Have you asked Him to be your savior? Or maybe you need to go to Him to let Him carry your problems and burdens, He says he will. Pray that your heavenly Father will open your eyes to the grace and mercy of His love. Ask for an understanding of how He would so freely give His love to us. Pray you will do your best for Him, not because of gains to be made, but because of your love for the one who paid your debt to sin.