Psalms 34:4-8 (NLT)
4 I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. 6 I cried out to the LORD in my suffering, and he heard me. He set me free from all my fears. 7 For the angel of the LORD guards all who fear him, and he rescues them. 8 Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who trust in him!

Here in these verses we find David reflecting upon his prayers to the Lord. Fear can torment a person. But it is our unbelieving distrustful fear that is our sin. The Lord can provide relief from that fear and replace it with joy. God can even remove the shame of sin that recreates fear and makes one live with uncertainty in their lives. And the Lord provides his angels who like body-guards are there to protect from the malice and power of evil that comes our way. There is delight in trusting in the Lord and rewards of joy for those who trust.

There was a TV show that put people in situations of unusual fear. In one show “friends” drove their pal out into the desert where UFOs were supposedly spotted. Once there they pretended the car broke down and would not restart, as if the battery had died mysteriously. It was dark and hard to see, but those in on the prank got out checking on why the car would not start. Of course the person who the prank was being played on also got out. Then from the shadows of the dark rocks came menacing alien like creatures. The friends responded in fear, running and fleeing, which left the victim of the prank to create his own hysterical fear. Fear is the anticipation of things yet to happen. Once the prank was revealed the fear quickly disappeared. But the fear was so great in anticipation the creature was real and sure to hurt the victim of the prank; the victim ran screaming and shaking. Fear drives us in many other ways. Out of fear we may respond to loved ones harshly and in negative ways. Fear can even cripple daily life to where a person becomes depressed about their situation. Fear can even affect a person physically to the point they become sick. Fear may even make us fail and repeat failures. It’s no wonder David sought God to remove the fear from his life. Is fear holding you back or causing you to respond the wrong way to others? Pray to the Lord about your fears, telling Him what they are. Ask for joy to replace those fears and let God work in your life. Remember you are protected by God and His angels and there is nothing greater than can protect you from anything that comes your way.