Jeremiah 7
8" `Do you think that because the Temple is here you will never suffer? Don't fool yourselves! 9Do you really think you can steal, murder, commit adultery, lie, and worship Baal and all those other new gods of yours, 10and then come here and stand before me in my Temple and chant, "We are safe!"--only to go right back to all those evils again? 11Do you think this Temple, which honors my name, is a den of thieves? I see all the evil going on there, says the LORD.

Jeremiah has been commissioned to reprove the people of Israel for their sins in God’s name. The people have fooled themselves into believing going to the Temple will rid them of the sins they continue to hold on to. Jeremiah reminds them the Lord sees all that goes on and nothing goes pass Him that they will not be judged for.

As a kid, we played a version of dodge ball where you ran to avoid being hit by the persons who were in control of the ball. But there were safe zones, and if you made it to one of the safe zones, even if you got hit by the ball it did not count against you. This is exactly what the people of Israel were thinking. They thought they could run to a safe zone, the Temple, and no longer face consequences. Even though sin had fallen on them, they felt a false sense of safety being in the Temple. They had forgotten their relationship with the Lord. It wasn’t the temple protecting them; it was God. It seems the further people get away from their relationship with God, the more they trust in “things” of God. Things won’t save us, things won’t help us in our time of need, things do not provide grace and nor do they provide mercy; only a relationship with the Living Lord provides salvation, comfort, grace and mercy. What about your relationship with the Lord? Do you feel safe because you are surrounded by ‘things’ of God or do you feel safe because God surrounds you? Pray for a growing relationship with the Lord. Pray that you will seek Him out and not trust in false hope. He is your power, strength and comfort. Turn to Him, always turn to Him.