Isaiah 59:9-15 (NLT)
9It is because of all this evil that deliverance is far from us. That is why God doesn't punish those who injure us. No wonder we are in darkness when we expected light. No wonder we are walking in the gloom. 10No wonder we grope like blind people and stumble along. Even at brightest noontime, we fall down as though it were dark. No wonder we are like corpses when compared to vigorous young men! 11We growl like hungry bears; we moan like mournful doves. We look for justice, but it is nowhere to be found. We look to be rescued, but it is far away from us. 12For our sins are piled up before God and testify against us. Yes, we know what sinners we are. 13We know that we have rebelled against the LORD. We have turned our backs on God. We know how unfair and oppressive we have been, carefully planning our deceitful lies. 14Our courts oppose people who are righteous, and justice is nowhere to be found. Truth falls dead in the streets, and fairness has been outlawed. 15Yes, truth is gone, and anyone who tries to live a godly life is soon attacked. The LORD looked and was displeased to find that there was no justice.
Isaiah is addressing the people on the issues of sin. These words show sin is against us. Even when things should be right and perfect, sin corrupts. We expect light and yet the darkness of sin shadows the light of this world. Like a bear coming out of hibernation we desire to be fed with righteousness and justice. We know we ourselves have been sinners and have turned away from God at times. Even trying to live a godly life is difficult because of the sin in this world. Even God is displeased there is no justice.
Three pastors were at a conference; one of them suggested sharing their secret sins with each other. The first pastor said, “I’ll start, my secret sin is gambling. I love listening to the sound of money go into the slot machine and eventually hearing the cha-chine of winning.” The second pastor said, “My sin is that I am lazy. I don’t do my own sermons, because I copy what I can from others.” The third pastor said, “I’m a gossip and I can’t wait to repeat what I have heard.” While it’s meant to be humorous there is truth in the joke. There are those living as Christians, even pastors who we respect, that hold onto the sin in their lives. As Christians we are to be the light of the world, but when we allow ourselves to walk in darkness there is no light to be found. The world remains dark in sin waiting for someone to shine. Are you shining as a Christian? Have you removed the sins covering your light? Pray to God in repentance asking Him to forgive you of your sins. Ask that you might shine in this world as a testimony to Him. Pray for strength and endurance that you may keep away from sin.