Romans 15:1-4 (NLT)
1 We may know that these things make no difference, but we cannot just go ahead and do them to please ourselves. We must be considerate of the doubts and fears of those who think these things are wrong. 2 We should please others. If we do what helps them, we will build them up in the Lord. 3 For even Christ didn't please himself. As the Scriptures say, "Those who insult you are also insulting me." 4 Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. They give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises.

In theses verse the apostle is saying there may be something a strong Christian understands not to be wrong, but a new Christian may find it to be unacceptable; therefore consideration should be given to not discourage the new Christian. We don’t want to cause the new Christian to fall away because of the things we might prefer to do. The strong Christian is encouraged even Christ didn’t do things for himself because of others; and Christ goes on to say that “those who insult you are also insulting me.” It gives us hope for the future knowing what God has promised us.

Here is a question to ponder, “What keeps our hearts fixed on Christ, our hope?” If we are to restrain ourselves and deny things we want for the sake of others, how do we maintain this hope we are to have? Paul gave us the answer in these words from Ephesians, “I have never stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the wonderful future he has promised to those he called. I want you to realize what a rich and glorious inheritance he has given to his people.” Paul is saying prayer is the answer. Through prayer we can gain wisdom and understand the future God holds for us. With that understanding we realize the promises, the hopes, and the rewards we are to receive. Realizing what God is giving us through Christ makes it easier to give up what we can obtain in this world. Christ gave himself up for us; do you realize what you will gain because of Him? Pray for God’s wisdom that you might now the riches of Christ and the hope we have. Pray you see the future with Christ more rewarding than anything we have here on this present earth.