Romans 9:13-16 (KJV)
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

In these scriptures the apostle refers to Jacob and Esau. He goes back to the Old Testament where God says He loved Jacob and rejected Esau. The theme in these verses is that God is in ultimate control, choosing who He desires. So it is impossible for man to say this is what I want or to say I have earned this through my hard efforts.

How many of you have had the opportunity to teach a teenager to drive? You let the teen sit behind the wheel. You allow them to start the car with a key. Then you watch as they put the car in drive and start moving down the street. If you remember the first time out there was probably concern for every mailbox along the road as you came precariously near. Stop signs were right there in front of you, but for some reason they seemed to be oblivious to the driver. All this time you have had to sit over to the side, squirming in the seat, helplessly out of control because you have put the control of the car into the teen’s hands. Maybe it was uncomfortable being that much out of control. But later as the driver improved you put more confidence in them and trusted their driving skill and began to relax. How does it feel to give control over to God? At first it might feel uncomfortable knowing you have no power, and cannot do anything of your own self. But as time goes on you learn to trust God and know He is in control and that His decisions are right and just. Are you willing to trust God and let Him be in control? Pray God will always be in control of your life. Ask that His mercy and compassion may be shown towards you. Praise Him for the righteous and holy God that He is.